Parts Gathering for Snipes R Project

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
As some of you know I have a major project on my hands with my Ex-Speedvision Cup Snipes Motorsports Cobra R. The car was wrecked at Sebring in October 1997 and the team parted it out. The project has been on hold for a few years but I'm ready to start gathering parts. I will need everything to build up a completely stripped out shell.

Recently a local discount "pick a part" yard received a few 1994/95 Mustang GT's with a lot of parts left. These cars are from the "Cash For Cluckers" program so the blocks have been seized with a hardening solution so they are junk. Otherwise I'm sure the engines would have been pulled by now. What V8 specific parts should I grab for my Snipes R project?

94/5 V8 EEC (use a programmer to run IMSA race program)
94/5 V8 Computer Harness
94/5 V8 Injector Harness
94/5 V8 Alternator Harness
94/5 V8 Timing Cover (is this the same as 5.8?)
94/5 V8 Engine Head Crossover Smog Tube
94/5 V8 EGR Valve w/Sensor and Tube that goes to header
94/5 V8 Heater Tube with Hoses (on intake manifold)
94/5 V8 Ignition Module
94/5 V8 Constant Control Relay Module (Mounted on Radiator)
94/5 V8 Emmision Solenoids (TAB,TAD,EVR----- Emmision Soleniods in Passanger side Fender)
94/5 V8 Plastic Vaccumm Hoses
94/5 V8 Fuel Injector Rails
94/5 V8 Fuel Lines (Engine Bay ONLY)
94/5 V8 Throttle Body (use electronics for use on Cobra R or Aftermarket TB)
94/5 V8 Throttle Cable
94/5 V8 Throttle Cable Bracket (Mounted on Upper Intake)
94/5 V8 Air Cleaner Tube (Possibly Use Aftermarket or Fabricated Unit)
94/5 V8 Smog Pump System
94/5 V8 Alternator/Smog Pump Mounting Bracket
94/5 V8 P/S A/C Mounting Bracket
94/5 V8 Power Steering Unit
94/5 V8 Lifter Retainer "Spider" and "Bones"
94/5 V8 Block Plate (Plate that goes between the Tranny and Engine)
94/5 V8 Transmission Crossmember (Might be the same on V6)
94/5 V8 Exhaust Hanger Brackets (Connected with Transmission Mount)
94/5 V8 ABS Unit
94/5 V8 Front and rear ABS Sensor Brackets
94/5 V8 ABS Wiring (inside Pass fender)
94-8 V8 Quad Shocks
94-8 V8 Quad Shock Mounts

--Misc Bits and Pieces
Throttle Body Nuts and Studs
Intake Bolts
Fuel Rail Bolts
Valve Cover Bolts
P/S A/C Bracket Bolts
Alt Bracket Bolts
Throttle Cable Bracket Bolts
Oil Pan Bolts
Distributor Clamp and Bolt
Coil Bracket Bolt

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
After reading that I'll never complaine about my project again :) When I get through putting my Zippo #53 back together and my 95R project ( which should be by March 2010 on both of them I'll be more than happy to share anything I have left over...I really think Crazy is right...You would be better to do like some of the teams did back then and just find you a 94 or 95 Cobra street car and then you would have a good bit of the stuff and a car to take a bunch of pictures of before you take it apart for refrence. I have an all original 94 Cobra at my house that I use for quick refrence and if it gets serious I go to the race shop and look at Doc's all original 95R.....I'm deep into two of these things so If I can help let me know.....Gary

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Todd,

You are making my head hurt reading that list.

You need everything but emissions basically. All the rest will go on the R. I would also look into trying to get the COMPLETE fuel lines and brake lines if it has ABS. Those are some of the hardest items to get since they are impossible to ship.

When I get ready I will find a complete car, hopefully a GT with ABS, and park it next to my chassis and start moving parts over.

Tom

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
FYI: If you want the car to be totally correct.... the GT & Cobra use different ABS modules & the hard brake lines that run from the module to the master cylinder.

I ran into this issue when I was rebuilding my original 5k mile 95 Cobra a few years ago. The lower portion of the radiator support was destroyed and the brake lines that run across it were too. I pulled some lines from a GT parts car and they were not the same. For some reason Ford used different size threads on the GT vs Cobra ABS module brake lines.

I also would recommend you buy a wrecked or high mileage 94-95 Cobra for a parts donor. if you get one with a tan interior.... you could use all the interior plastics, and cobra specific air bags if you need them. You would get the correct 13" & 11.65" Cobra/R brake set-up. Then all the suspension pieces, GT40 Heads, Timing Cover, Oil pan, lots of bolts, screws, clips etc etc etc... You can pick up a cobra donor for $2k-2500 range, then sell off anything you don't need. The 94-95 Cobra donor would also have the correct decklid & spoiler, bumpers, plus any other body parts you might need.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
FYI: If you want the car to be totally correct.... the GT & Cobra use different ABS modules & the hard brake lines that run from the module to the master cylinder.

I ran into this issue when I was rebuilding my original 5k mile 95 Cobra a few years ago. The lower portion of the radiator support was destroyed and the brake lines that run across it were too. I pulled some lines from a GT parts car and they were not the same. For some reason Ford used different size threads on the GT vs Cobra ABS module brake lines.

QUOTE]

Daryl,

Good info on the brake lines. Were the lines routed the same other than the threads? What about the lines that run from the module to each wheel--were they different also?

Tom

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member

QUOTE]

Daryl,

Good info on the brake lines. Were the lines routed the same other than the threads? What about the lines that run from the module to each wheel--were they different also?

Tom

Tom,

The routing was exactly the same.... from the prop. valve up the driver side frame rail, down and across the lower core support then up to the module on the right front rail.

I can not remember for sure if the threads sizes were different on "out" side between the module and calipers.

I had never really paid much attention to the fact that a 95R came with ABS brakes.... I would have thought they were non-abs. since ABS was an option on 94-98 Mustangs. Learn something new everyday. :read:

Users who are viewing this thread