Parts availability for cam degreeing

RJCarp2

Established Member
Hey guys,
I have done a lot of reading on this forum regarding cam degreeing on 4V cobras. The problem I'm having is the part numbers previously suggested for adjustable cam gears are no longer available. All I've been able to find is the infinitely adjustable large exhaust cam sprockets and the TrickFlow multi-keyed crank sprockets (TFS-51800505). Neither of these allow me to adjust intake and exhaust cams separately. Cloyes apparently used to make a multi-keyed cam gear, but it is no longer available. Or maybe I just can't find it. So what are people using these days?

Second question is regarding the passenger side secondary tensioner. If I'm degreeing cams anyways, is this worth it? In other words, can I degree around the fundamental tensioning issue or should I just spend $200 to correct the problem?

This is a higher compression NA build and I'm looking to put the stock cams somewhere between 108 and 110 ICL and 114-116 ECL.

Thanks,
Rich

shurur

Established Member
Facebook? Bah. I must be getting old. I am not on Facebook. Wouldn't it be best for an answer to be on this board so others who search can find the information?

Pm na svt and ask him to comment.
He will come in and comment on this thread

He has a procedure that he will send you.
He can't post it up for some legal reasons..i believe.

You only need a few parts and a degreeing kit with his method and cams will be within a degree of each other side to side.

shurur

Established Member
PM'd

If you go with NA SVT minimalist approach of not using adjustable cam gear$:

What You need besides a cam degreeing "kit" that you must put together.
And consider saving up for custom cams or some comp cams..

As I understand it, degreeing the oem cams is very important as just a few degrees off between both head s can rob you of 20 hp.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/svt-...g-4v-cams.html
https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...please.985995/

Cloyes Shaft Keys P9139 - SummitRacing.com (2ea)
Cloyes Timing Camshaft Sprockets S790HP9 - SummitRacing.com (2ea)
Trick Flow® Replacement Adjustable Crank Sprockets TFS-51800505 - SummitRacing.com
ARP Cam Bolt Kits 256-1001 – SummitRacing.com

"The Cloyes Primary gears are the best I've used other than the Modcamponents that are no longer available."

Primary gears...................Cloyes Hex-A-Just Cam Gears 9-3169A - SummitRacing.com
Secondary gears...............Cloyes Timing Camshaft Sprockets S790HP9 - SummitRacing.com
secondary gear keys.........http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CLO-P913/
TFS crank gears................Trick Flow® Replacement Adjustable Crank Sprockets TFS-51800505 - SummitRacing.com
ARP cam bolts...................ARP Cam Bolt Kits 256-1001 - SummitRacing.com

ARP studs
arp - JEGS High Performance

Last edited:

RJCarp2

Established Member
Shurur - thanks for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately, the information you provided is exactly what I've found in searching. The Cloyes secondary sockets, PN S790HP9, are unavailable. Everything else, I have and understand.

What are people using for secondary adjustable sprockets these days?

Thanks,
Rich

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I just asked on the Facebook group. RGR is a company that makes them but my Google-Fu sucks, still waiting for a link or to find them myself. If not then a used set of Cloyes, which apparently is hard to find, or file and shim the stockers.

shurur

Established Member
Shurur - thanks for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately, the information you provided is exactly what I've found in searching. The Cloyes secondary sockets, PN S790HP9, are unavailable. Everything else, I have and understand.

What are people using for secondary adjustable sprockets these days?

Thanks,
Rich

Trick Flow® Replacement Adjustable Crank Sprockets TFS-51800505 - SummitRacing.com

And actually you don't even need the ARP bolts.

This is really all you need and na svt procedure.

RJCarp2

Established Member

And actually you don't even need the ARP bolts.

This is really all you need and na svt procedure.

Did you see my last post? The key ingredient, the Cloyes secondary gears, are unavailable.

97snakebite

Established Member
Here's the reason
2018_1109_190930_002.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N920P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

scottydsntknow

Established Member
What? Those are the Cloyes gears ppl have been talking about in this whole thread.

Anyway that FB group also was VERY... firm... about filing and shimming the stockers. Another person mentioned a lot of slop in them but holy shit I didn't know there were issues with them breaking like that. Well... a file and some tin snips is free so that saves a little $$$ lol.

shurur

Established Member
Did you see my last post? The key ingredient, the Cloyes secondary gears, are unavailable.

sorry..I thought the adjustables were the ones not around anymore.
Best bet is to contact na svt.
He is where this list came from in the first place.

I'll try to post on FB tonight and get a new list going..

chao5.0

Established Member
What? Those are the Cloyes gears ppl have been talking about in this whole thread.

Anyway that FB group also was VERY... firm... about filing and shimming the stockers. Another person mentioned a lot of slop in them but holy shit I didn't know there were issues with them breaking like that. Well... a file and some tin snips is free so that saves a little $$$ lol.

According to 97snakebite those are the crank gears he was referring to in his previous post.

Your best bet is to file and shim the stock gears as everyone has been telling you, it removes the slop that even the Cloyes will have. Yes it will suck and be time consuming but you will get accurate results that way, don't worry about the shims coming loose they will be held in place by the cam and spacer, like you were told if that shim falls out you will have a lot bigger problems because the bolt will have backed out.

RJCarp2

Established Member
That's starting to sound like better and better advice. Does anyone have a feel for how much material is removed per degree of cam change when filling the smaller secondary gears as well as the larger exhaust sprockets? Thanks.

shurur

Established Member
Damn. This adds another level of complexity to the whole thing.
Good to know anyway ...and so much for that list...

again, sorry..

97snakebite

Established Member
Damn. This adds another level of complexity to the whole thing.
Good to know anyway ...and so much for that list...

again, sorry..
yeah that blew pretty bad. Ate a bunch of valves and stuff too.
Just be patient on your parts list. You can find the adjustable primaries you just got to really look. It took me a month to find a set. I believe Comp Cams will be available at the end of the month

Sent from my SM-N920P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread