Parents to teachers: No more red pencils

djc

Professional Nerd
Established Member
I can't believe this... actually, with the way society in general is too concerned with 'offending' people and 'feelings', I guess i can..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7374218/

Purple, anyone? Corrections in red called ‘stressful’

The Associated Press
Updated: 5:46 p.m. ET April 3, 2005

WASHINGTON - Of all the things that can make a person see red, school principal Gail Karwoski was not expecting parents to get huffy about, well, seeing red.

At Daniels Farm Elementary School in Trumbull, Conn., Karwoski’s teachers grade papers by giving examples of better answers for those students who make mistakes. But that approach meant the kids often found their work covered in red, the color that teachers long have used to grade work.

Parents objected. Red writing, they said, was “stressful.” The principal said teachers were just giving constructive advice and the color of ink used to convey that message should not matter. But some parents could not let it go.

Symbol of negativity
So the school put red on the blacklist. Blue and other colors are in.

“It’s not an argument we want to have at this point because what we need is the parents’ understanding,” Karwoski said. “The color of the message should not be the issue.”

In many other schools, it’s black and white when it comes to red. The color has become so symbolic of negativity that some principals and teachers will not touch it.

“You could hold up a paper that says ’Great work!’ and it won’t even matter if it’s written in red,” said Joseph Foriska, principal of Thaddeus Stevens Elementary in Pittsburgh.

He has instructed his teachers to grade with colors featuring more “pleasant-feeling tones” so that their instructional messages do not come across as derogatory or demeaning.

“The color is everything,” said Foriska, an educator for 31 years.

gyacopetti

Super Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm suprised they still allow teachers to grade papers. After all, we dont want to offend the children by telling them their work is wrong. :rolleyes:

MusclePower1

Established Member
^^ Haha, seriously. What a bunch of PC bullsh*t :mj: Red has been the classic color used for corrections, etc. b/c it stands out. It is NOT something to get "offended" over. Holy f&cking sh*t do people need to wake the h@ll up and focus on what's ACTUALLY IMPORTANT in life. Those kind of people are the ones going nowhere in life and have nothing better to do. If they're life were actually meaningfull, then, by definition, they would NOT care about this.

<<end rant>>

PDubs

Established Member
Mucho Retardo, bring on the pink I guess.

Pretty soon the American flag will have to be remade because it too closely resembles the old "Stars and Bars" since it does, in fact, contain, said stars and bars...just in a different format.

grr...

NipplelessHorse

Established Member
Haha whenever I hear stories like this I always think to myself how there is no way I'd let retarded parents push me around like that when I'm a teacher. Seriously though, these people have their priorities out of whack.

03cobragirl

Go Ravens!!
Established Member
gyacopetti said:
I'm suprised they still allow teachers to grade papers. After all, we dont want to offend the children by telling them their work is wrong. :rolleyes:

In the county I live in they don't give grades in the 1st and 2nd grades for that exact reason. It hurts their self esteem if they get c's and d's in the early grades. I think that is crap. I think it is very hard to really understand how they are doing by demonstrates and consistantly demonstartes. :shrug:

rrich1

Established Member
MusclePower1 said:
^^ Haha, seriously. What a bunch of PC bullsh*t :mj: Red has been the classic color used for corrections, etc. b/c it stands out. It is NOT something to get "offended" over. Holy f&cking sh*t do people need to wake the h@ll up and focus on what's ACTUALLY IMPORTANT in life. Those kind of people are the ones going nowhere in life and have nothing better to do. If they're life were actually meaningfull, then, by definition, they would NOT care about this.

<<end rant>>
:lol:

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
pacotaco said:
We're becoming a country of pussies.
pacotaco

Agreed +2.
people these days are offended by EVERYTHING. We are becoming the United Nation of Offended people. All people ever due is get offended by the stupidest crap and somehow we give in to these idiots. I can't wait till I run into these people in my life and just make them feel like the complete idiots that they are.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
That is ridiculous. Red always made it easier for me to spot my mistakes.

I'd use a color in the family of red, just to piss them off, like magenta, pink, or orange, or red-orange.

WantLightning

Sleep Now in the Fire
Established Member
So little Wendy can't take that her book report has a C+ on it and some constructive criticism written along the margin in red ink so she won't miss it?

STUPID BITCH SHOULD'VE PUT A LITTLE MORE EFFORT IN AND THEN SHE WOULDN'T HAVE A BLOODY C, EH?

Did I mention this PC shite is ridiculous? George Carlin has a skit on the Pussification of American Kids and the more I read, the more he's right.

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Some schools put out an above average number of people that turn out to be the garbage handlers and the fast food workers. We need those people in society too I suppose...

What it amounts to is that children need a little strife in manageable doses early in life to understand how to deal with it *when* it presents them a challenge later in life. This sort of thing results in mass murders similar to Columbine and Red Lake when the kid gets older and gets an "F" for his crappy performance on a book report IMO.

Good call PacoTaco. We are breeding a nation of pussies.

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
I used to be a teacher... good thing I got out when I did! Now I am completely happy being a corporate whore :rollseyes

Black0ut

Established Member
The professors at my college grade everything in red... always been the standard at any school I've been too...

If parent's are seriously concerned about the colour of ink, than they are completely blinded as to the purpose of "Grading"...

Red is stressful :cryying: waaa waaa

Tell your kids to smarten up and learn at school and you wont see so much red... or maybe your just bad parents and should spend more time helping them with their homework :shrug:

some people

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread