Panhard vs Watts Link

Chris_5oh

Hello everyone.
I am driving a 2013 Coyote Mustang which is only used in the summer for fun. So far I have only been on a race track once.
My question to your estimation, if you go to Track Day maybe 1-2 times a year, is a Watts link worth it compared to an adjustable Panhard rod? Or rather, what are the respective advantages and disadvantages in practice?

The bottom line is that I am a sporty road rider who wants to go on a track day (circuit) 1-2 times a year.
I have done Drag Race a few times with my F-150 Lightning
upload_2020-11-2_14-2-45.gif
;).

The question if a Watts Link is worthwhile for 1-2 on a track day, or if you notice it well on the road or if a Panhard stick is sufficient. Both then in connection with upper control arm adjustable and lower control arm fixed.

Thank you and greetings from Germany.

Chris

Norm Peterson

Established Member
I know you've got other suspension matters that need to get squared away first. A Watts link belongs well down on the priority list unless you yourself can identify a problem about the PHB that a Watts link is guaranteed to fix.

Norm

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
Norm is right. I trust him on suspension matters.
I personally just went to a Watts cause of buy once, cry once. It was ultimately where I was going to end up.
I have a convertible though.....everything moved around to much for me...

Last edited:

ToddW702

Established Member
Do you have anything else done to the car?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Hello everyone.
I am driving a 2013 Coyote Mustang which is only used in the summer for fun. So far I have only been on a race track once.
My question to your estimation, if you go to Track Day maybe 1-2 times a year, is a Watts link worth it compared to an adjustable Panhard rod? Or rather, what are the respective advantages and disadvantages in practice?

The bottom line is that I am a sporty road rider who wants to go on a track day (circuit) 1-2 times a year.
I have done Drag Race a few times with my F-150 Lightning View attachment 1670345;).

The question if a Watts Link is worthwhile for 1-2 on a track day, or if you notice it well on the road or if a Panhard stick is sufficient. Both then in connection with upper control arm adjustable and lower control arm fixed.

Thank you and greetings from Germany.

Chris

Question: "Is a Watts link worth it compared to an adjustable Panhard rod?"

If it is about performance then know the differences between the two.

An adjustable panhard bar centers the axle at a given ride height. Great for most. As the suspension articulates, the rear end moves up and down. This momentarily changes the ride height and the axle will be slightly off center during the suspension travel. Again, this is because the panhard bar is set at ride height and cannot self adjust during suspension travel.

A Watts link centers the axle even during suspension articulation. But it is larger and heavier. As the suspension travels, the linkage arms lengthen and shorten to keep the axle centered at all times. Nice to have & I like mine.

Answer really depends on if the money is worth it to you or not. Price vs. value on a car you only drive in the summer. Lot of people seem to do just fine with a panhard bar. If you want it and the money is not the concern, get it. If not, then skip it. Your decision.

RusWolf

Established Member
I don't have any experience with aftermarket panhard bar, but i am running full suspension on the car now with Whiteline watts link and the car drives really well.

Watts link was my first suspension mod (got it for an amazing deal $650 brand new) and could not resist. I was not sure If i need it or not or even if I will feel anything. BUT i can honestly tell you that I felt the difference between 100% stock suspension and atts link as the only mod. I felt that the car cornered slightly better BUT major improvement to me was felt when hitting bumps, car felt more planted and connected to the road without that feeling like my rear end and front end are going in different direction.
thats my 2 cents and I have 0 experience at the race track...

Users who are viewing this thread