Painting the INSIDE of your stock Taillights/Headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vette Eater

Established Member
The purpose of this thread is to change the look of your stock taillights/headlights. I chose Duplicolor High Temp Low Gloss 1624 paint, it has a subtle shine but not glossy. You can get it and many other colors at any Autozone/O'Reilly's in town. You could even use the paint on your truck!!!

I used a heat gun on low setting and heated the BACK of the taillight housing and used a set of PLASTIC pry tools to soften the factory sealant.

Note: Over heating palstic will cause distortion or warping...So be sure to use a low heat setting or a good hair dryer.

After a careful 20 minutes per taillight, they will come apart. Then with a set of rubber gloves tape off the light lens with blue masking tape...

NOTE: Do not try to tape the chrome off with the tape, it will pull the chrome up and cause an indention in the paint and wil lbe noticed up close.

After masking the lens, I wiped the chrome with alcohol wipes...It will take up some of the chrome, but not in chunks like the tape does...it's OK you will be painting over it. After doing so, take the heat gun again on low setting and spray layer after layer heating with the gun...This way you don't have to wait for the paint to dry, you do need for the paint to cool though.

I went to the garage and got CLEAR SILICONE II sealant, you can get it at Lowes for about 3.99 in the paint and trim department. Lay a nice bead of it all around the edge and BAM!!! it is done.

Note: Make sure you clean ALL the factory sealant out before putting new sealant in. You WILL have leaks if this isn't done properly.

There ya go...have fun and be careful not to break the taillight lens.

Good luck

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread