~Painting The Bottom Of My Hood~

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
OK.

All finished and back together. This stuff dry's ultra quick!

4630414169_d9355a312d_o.jpg

LOL... You can see the True Forged Reservoir cap reflecting on the hood.
4630414205_b13d90d67f_o.jpg

4630414233_6a4e884cbe_o.jpg

True Forged reflection again!
4630414265_0e90133806_o.jpg

And one you don't see often. My car with my stock wheels on. :lol1: (Waiting on my new True Forged wheels.....)
4631013444_616fa6ea8d_o.jpg

Couldn't help but notice the OE Dove valve caps on those wheels. Maybe you should have kept the date stickers after all. :)

oldmodman

Established Member
Your paint work turned out perfect. I thought you would have to color sand but the clear turned out excellent without any sanding.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Looks great Kevin. I`m not a 100% happy with the job I did on mine from my re-paint thread,so i`ll be actually taking the hood off and doing the underside when I redo the top. Saved the pic of your car with the stockers for future stuff,and I lmao with your comment about Jeff and the stickers. Great job again.

benulis55

Established Member
very good info. the underneath of my hood looks exactly like whats yours did before painting.

I really want to do this also, but one question. What did you use to cover the rest of the car to prevent overspray? Thatnks for the great thread

sc98cbra

Established Member
very good info. the underneath of my hood looks exactly like whats yours did before painting.

I really want to do this also, but one question. What did you use to cover the rest of the car to prevent overspray? Thatnks for the great thread

Use cling wrap.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Couldn't help but notice the OE Dove valve caps on those wheels. Maybe you should have kept the date stickers after all. :)
LOL.. The stickers were a bear to get off! The tape over them was easy. The front tires and whees are stock. The rear tires have been replaced though.

damn that turned out NICEEEEEE
Thanks. :beer:

nice work.. looks really good.
Thank you. :beer:

came out great!!
:beer:

Look great! How did you sand your hood without laying it on something and scratching the top side?
I never took the hood off the car.

Your paint work turned out perfect. I thought you would have to color sand but the clear turned out excellent without any sanding.
It turned out just like I was hoping for. A finished look with clear. I was kind of hoping it would turn out like this but wasn't sure. I figured if it didn't turn out the way I wanted I would just bring it and have it painted.

Looks great Kevin. I`m not a 100% happy with the job I did on mine from my re-paint thread,so i`ll be actually taking the hood off and doing the underside when I redo the top. Saved the pic of your car with the stockers for future stuff,and I lmao with your comment about Jeff and the stickers. Great job again.
LOL. Thanks Brad. This is small potatoes compared to what you and Jeff did.

Hopefully the stock wheels won't be on the car much longer! Are you listening Steve????? LOL.... They were fun the other week when I had a run in with a Porsche 911 Carrera though. At 60 MPH in 3rd spinning by him putting bus length after bus length was qute fun. :burnout: He must have thought that it was stock!

I actually had a thick car cover and old sheets and some old moving blankets that I used to cover everything.

Use cling wrap.
You could. 3M sells some nice stuff for this.

sc98cbra

Established Member
LOL.. The stickers were a bear to get off! The tape over them was easy. The front tires and whees are stock. The rear tires have been replaced though.

Thanks. :beer:

Thank you. :beer:

:beer:

I never took the hood off the car.

It turned out just like I was hoping for. A finished look with clear. I was kind of hoping it would turn out like this but wasn't sure. I figured if it didn't turn out the way I wanted I would just bring it and have it painted.

LOL. Thanks Brad. This is small potatoes compared to what you and Jeff did.

Hopefully the stock wheels won't be on the car much longer! Are you listening Steve????? LOL.... They were fun the other week when I had a run in with a Porsche 911 Carrera though. At 60 MPH in 3rd spinning by him putting bus length after bus length was qute fun. :burnout: He must have thought that it was stock!

I actually had a thick car cover and old sheets and some old moving blankets that I used to cover everything.

You could. 3M sells some nice stuff for this.

Wonder if this could be used to repaint the whole front bumper... Haha! :bash::bash::bash:

black 10th vert

Established Member
I definitely want to do this on my car as soon as it is back together. The only thing I have been dreading was removing the hood to do it. After looking at how you did yours, and how it came out, I may just do it in place, like you did. Came out awesome! The only thing I might have done, if I were you, would have been to hit the bare areas (where the stickers were) with some primer. Would have made it a lot easier to get the paint to cover in those places.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Kevin, the end result looks professionally done. very impressive. Now that i think about it, i am pretty sure i never cleared mine, lol, what an idiot. So now i have to go tape my hood off again and clear it. I even have the can of clear sitting in my garage. Guess i was so excited to have it painted. i couldnt figure out why it wasnt as glossy as i had hoped. did you do any sanding between coats?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I definitely want to do this on my car as soon as it is back together. The only thing I have been dreading was removing the hood to do it. After looking at how you did yours, and how it came out, I may just do it in place, like you did. Came out awesome! The only thing I might have done, if I were you, would have been to hit the bare areas (where the stickers were) with some primer. Would have made it a lot easier to get the paint to cover in those places.
Yeah, I'm sure it would have been a little easier with primer but I just did a few more base coats. I had enoug with 1 can of base so it wasn't a big deal.

I really didn't want to remove the hood either. That was one thing that kept me from doing it I guess. I'm glad I waited now.

Kevin, the end result looks professionally done. very impressive. Now that i think about it, i am pretty sure i never cleared mine, lol, what an idiot. So now i have to go tape my hood off again and clear it. I even have the can of clear sitting in my garage. Guess i was so excited to have it painted. i couldnt figure out why it wasnt as glossy as i had hoped. did you do any sanding between coats?
LOL..... I wasn't sure if you had when I saw your thread, but I wasn't sure if it was just the pictures or not. I just know it was a big difference on your car.

I did like the instructions said. I did not sand between coats. I waited 5-10 minutes between each coat of both base and clear. I then waited about 45 minutes or so before the clear. I wanted it to come out looking like it was that way from the factory. I think it came out exactly how I wanted. :thumbsup:

looks good. what hood vents are those?
True Forged.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...3275-true-forged-billet-hood-vent-gb-3-a.html

Users who are viewing this thread