Painted stripes

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
Pros and cons on going stripe delete and possibly doing painted stripes? Not sure how I feel on the color combo options for 13.. Nothing seems to have a stronghold on me..

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Just me, but I would not go a non stock color. Painted sounds nice, even thou I'd have a hard time letting anyone paint a new car. They would have to have a impeccable reputation.

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
Yea that would be my concern too. I probably wouldn't go way out on a limb with coloring.. Maybe a gray/silver stripe or something

reason4treason

Established Member
I hope this isn't too much off-topic, it is a question about painting stripes:

I've read that there is such a thing as see-through paint for glass. With the white stripes that come stock on the black car I ordered, and a glass roof, the stripes are not continuos. Also the stock stripes are vinyl, true? So could you get white "see-through" paint over the glass roof to make the stripes continuous from the front bumper to the rear (excluding windshield, rear window, and the black space between the tail lights of course)? I know the stripes are quite wide, and the so-called see-through may actually be able to seen through but not as if it's totally invisible when looking up from the inside of the car. It's kind of It may be see-through but very noticeably present, sort of a greyish and that would obscure the panoramic view in the first place and be a bad idea. I don't know how well such paint holds up to repeated washings either.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
I would not paint stripes on a brand new factory paint job!!! Yes it can be done extremely easily, but it won't be level like a custom paint job. It will be higher, and thus look like stick on stripes. Simply because the whole car is not clear coated at once like a custom job.

Factory paint is extremely flawed, and the problem custom painters have is they actually have to make their paint look crappy, to match the factory orange peel.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
well if your gonna have stripes painted on, i'm sure your willing to fork over a few bucks for a quality wet sand job to remove the orange peel too.

peteypab2133

Established Member
I hope this isn't too much off-topic, it is a question about painting stripes:

I've read that there is such a thing as see-through paint for glass. With the white stripes that come stock on the black car I ordered, and a glass roof, the stripes are not continuos. Also the stock stripes are vinyl, true? So could you get white "see-through" paint over the glass roof to make the stripes continuous from the front bumper to the rear (excluding windshield, rear window, and the black space between the tail lights of course)? I know the stripes are quite wide, and the so-called see-through may actually be able to seen through but not as if it's totally invisible when looking up from the inside of the car. It's kind of It may be see-through but very noticeably present, sort of a greyish and that would obscure the panoramic view in the first place and be a bad idea. I don't know how well such paint holds up to repeated washings either.

You might want to consider asking for the color paint you pick to be mixed in a diluted ratio with clear only. My only question is, how will this hold up on the plexi glass thats on the roof. I know they use that method on tail lights etc etc, but tail lights dont have pressure to twist and bend like a roof might under tq.

I wouldnt do it though, but thats just me...

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
I would not paint stripes on a brand new factory paint job!!! Yes it can be done extremely easily, but it won't be level like a custom paint job. It will be higher, and thus look like stick on stripes. Simply because the whole car is not clear coated at once like a custom job.

Factory paint is extremely flawed, and the problem custom painters have is they actually have to make their paint look crappy, to match the factory orange peel.

So there's no way around this short of a complete repaint?

reason4treason

Established Member
You might want to consider asking for the color paint you pick to be mixed in a diluted ratio with clear only. My only question is, how will this hold up on the plexi glass thats on the roof. I know they use that method on tail lights etc etc, but tail lights dont have pressure to twist and bend like a roof might under tq.

I wouldnt do it though, but thats just me...

Thanks for the info.

I've been looking on Ford lots nearby to try to see any year glass-roof Mustang in-person, but haven't seen a single one. I thought the roof was actually tempered glass, similar to the composition of a windshield, maybe only thinner. My Vette has a transparent plexi top and within about 2 1/2 years a bunch of tiny hairline fractures were visible. Vette is fiberglass body so more flex, but I guess eventually the Mustang will display the same hairlines.

I'd definitely want to see an application of the paint in person on another car before I would ever get it done.....if I ever get it done.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
So there's no way around this short of a complete repaint?

Well you can do it. There just isn't a good way to get the stripes flush with the original paint which in my opinion would look better. If you don't mind the stripes being raised just a bit higher then you shouldn't be worried at all. It all depends on how picky you are... Plus the average person most likely won't notice.

I just dont want to lead you in the wrong direction. It's your car and you paid good money for it.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
It doesn't have to raised if you get a couple coats of clear. With a new car already having orange peel from the factory. Yes it is there look closer. Have a good shop wet sand the whole car down, add the stripes and wet sand the stripes, then add about 3 coats of clear. The factory paint will look like you could walk into to it.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
It doesn't have to raised if you get a couple coats of clear. With a new car already having orange peel from the factory. Yes it is there look closer. Have a good shop wet sand the whole car down, add the stripes and wet sand the stripes, then add about 3 coats of clear. The factory paint will look like you could walk into to it.

You are right... but that would be painting the whole car, just not using a base coat. Plus sanding a factory paint job is very difficult in terms of not sanding through edges and corners.

Of course if he went this route it would be a totally custom paint job... just like the old saying goes it ain't custom till it's sanded and buffed.

Haha, once you see the new smooth as glass buffed paint... mind will=blown.

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member

So this is the "correct" way to have it done? Im not one to do it half assed .. Hence asking in the first place lol

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
Can anyone provide me with contact info for some top notch shops in mid Atlantic area to investigate costs of this? I wanna have all knowledge and ducks in a line prior to placing my order....

AngeloViewDrive

Sports Car Enthusiast
Established Member
I'd be very wary about having anyone apply paint to my brand new vehicle. There is always a chance, however small, that there could be some unintended consequences. I think a better time for having painted stripes applied would be, if and when, some touch up work was going to be done anyway.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
my current car has black super snake stripes painted on and they came out perfect....obviously my new car will have the stock vinyls but I might consider painting again in the future when they begin to wear off in color....you def. have to be sure you want your car to remain that way when you paint it as opposed to just changing the vinyl whenever you want

Users who are viewing this thread