Paint thickness

oneof185

Established Member
Anyone measure their paint thickness? I'm getting my car detailed and ceramic coated. Guy was surprised at how thick my paint was. It's a VR car, he said it was around 9.8 mil everywhere and he said typically around 5 is normal. My 2015 I had there at the same time was 4.8...I know big difference in years but he said even back in the 90's cars are usually much lower than mine.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Some cars had paint issues and were ran through the paint booth more than once. Buddy had a teal car with so much paint (from the factory) that it actually had small drips under edges such as the hatch lips, fender wells, etc. Buddy bought the car brand new locally.

The paint had a massive crack pop one cold winter morning, stretched across the roof from A pillar to C pillar.

It was under warranty, and he was particular. Contacted the dealer and got permission to strip the car for paint. We pulled quarter windows, door moldings and all. Even sent it up on old wheels/tires.

There were paint lines on the inside on the B pillar (under the trim). Three different paint lines. It was run through paint three times at the factory. There was a chip under one of the drip moldings that went to metal. You could literally see the sealer/paint/clear in succession. It was crazy. That was before everyone had a phone in their pocket, so no pics, unfortunately.

The dealer had to send the car out for walnut blasting, as the paint was literally to thick to remove with traditional means. The body shop guy said he had never seen anything like it.

Came back in great shape, though. They did a good job.

Users who are viewing this thread