Paint Interior Trim Pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
Here is a How-To on how to paint the trim pieces inside your truck

First I got all of my supplies at Home Depot.

They are:

220 grit sand paper

Rustoleum Plastic Primer paint

Rustoleum Aluminium Colored paint

Rustoleum Clear Semi-Gloss

First you need to removes the trim pieces that you would like to paint. I chose to paint the switch bezels on the pass. and drivers door panels, the radio surround and the guage surround. Each of these pieces are really easy to remove. To remove the switch bezels you just have to pry up on them and thye will pop off, same with the radio surround. As far as the gauge surround there are 6 7mm screws holding it on. To access the screws you need to remove the plastic piece that is under the guage cluster.

The first thing you need to do before you paint over plastic is to prep it. I wanted a nice smooth finish so I sanded all of the pieces before I painted them.

Picture+066.jpg

When you are finished sanding them make sure you clean them off really good. You can use rubbing alcohol or compressed air to do this.

Second when you are done with the prep you can spray on the primer. Here is a pic after the first step.

Picture+067.jpg

I put on 3 coats of primer. If you need to you can sand down any high spots that you may have, but just remember to clean it off before you apply the next coat of paint.

Third I used a aluminuim colored paint to match the silver of my truck. It is really close to the factory color. I applied 3-4 coats of paint, letting the paint dry between coats.

Forth after the 4 coat of silver had dried I applies the clear coats. I put on 3 coats of clear, but this time I didn't let the clear dry completly. Agian if there are any high or rough spots you can sand them down but just make sure you clean everything off really good.

Here is the finished product with the switched installed.

Picture+068.jpg

Here is the finished product installed in my truck. When installing the pieces becarfull not to scratch them. I removed the plastic piece that goes around the door handle becuase it can scratch the bezel when installing it.

Picture+069.jpg

Picture+071.jpg

Picture+073.jpg

When you are finished you will have a unique interior that will look great :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread