Paint chips

interceptor19

First post here. I'm looking to get into another Mustang, after previously owning a couple Fox bodies and an SN95. I found a used '16 GT premium at a dealer. I was ready to purchase the vehicle, and drove to the dealer to look at the car. There were some paint chips on the hood that were very deep, with white showing under the magnetic color. Very noticeable. I started to really look and noticed the windshield was even pitted from chips, and a couple chips on the roof. I really started looking and noticed the rocker area behind the front wheel, and area in front of the rear wheel were absolutely blasted.

Are these cars prone to rock damage? Or did the previous owner live on a gravel road or drive in some extreme conditions? I've never seen paint on a car blasted like this. There were hundreds of pits around the wheel wells.

Anyway, I loved everything about the car. I've negotiated a good price. I'm trying to research if I would be able to repair this car with a Dr. Color Chip type system or if a re-spray would be in order. Or keep looking for a garage queen. This car would be a pure sunny day driver for me.

Any input on if severe paint chipping on these cars is normal would be appreciated. I haven't looked at enough used cars to determine if every car I find will be pitted like this one. I really like the '15 and '16 body style, otherwise I would be looking at a new car.

Also, any input on fixing the paint would also be appreciated.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Do you have any pics to post of the damage?

I will be touching up paint tonight on what is essentially a new paint job. I should force the shop to take care of the damage, but right now I don't feel like fighting about it. However, if the damage gets worse, it will be game on. 's it stands I can hand fill the chips, and then waters and and polish the paint to a point of not being noticeable.

I can't stand people that do a job half way. Do it right, or don't do it.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

interceptor19

thumbnail_Image-2.png
thumbnail_Image.png

Not the greatest photos, but everything that is white is a chip in the paint. The paint surface is obviously very rough as well.

jaxbusa

Established Member
Ouch! That’s not normal for these cars. Seems like they went too fast on a gravel road or live near an area where a lot of rock trucks pull out of. That’s going to require a paint job.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, that is way beyond a couple of chips. That severe road rash from debris kicking up against the paint. I recommend you get an estimate on proper repairs to the paint, beyond touch-up, and weigh that cost to determine if the asking price is fair. JMO.

interceptor19

Thanks guys. I asked the same question on a couple of different forums and got the same answers. I was also able to look at a few different used '15-'17s. In summary, Ford's paint is very soft and the Mustang is susceptible to paint chips in these areas. This car, however, has seen some rocky roads and the damage is extreme. Definitely not the norm.

I passed on the purchase and am still Mustang shopping.

cbr repsol

Established Member
I have a royal crimson 2018 gt with 3,100 miles I was considering selling. Car is immaculate . I was asking 31k obo

Users who are viewing this thread