Paging skstang

Silver 03 Cobra

Sorry I didn't get back with you sooner on your email. I've been out for awhile. The connection for my reply was so slow I decided to post. The numbers for the Bassani you gave me are correct. The mufflers do come with the catback and I have no MIL after 1500 miles.

You may want to check on their new exhaust for the 03 due to be released soon. I read the post a few days ago but I think it failed to note that you have to also use their mid length headers that were not mentioned. I was told by Bassani that is why they were designing a new exhaust. It's hard to get specifics out of them. The note that the 03 exhaust will not interchange with the 01 tells me there more than likely is a change at the manifold.

skstang

Established Member
Thanks Silver03Snake,

That is encouraging on the no MIL. I dont want to have to change out headers to put exhaust on. Had the car up on the lift on Wednesday. It doesnt really look that restrictive to me. I was starting to think about just using cat back, but-- those cats have to be a big restriction. With that bassani you got does it have 4 cats like the stock unit? Sorry so full of questions. just dont want to buy something I dont need. No way I'm changing headers in this thing though. That damn engine compartment is packed.

Thanks again Silver :)

Silver 03 Cobra

The 01 Bassani x/pipe has two cats. On the 99 and 01 Cobras, an x-pipe made the biggest power increase for the money. Now on the 003, the catback seems to be the plug. But, I still think the x-pipe will pull equal gains when paired with an aftermarket catback.

Installing headers on a 99 up Cobra is easier than you think if you drop the k-member. I put BBK LT's on my 01. The instructions with the headers described the installation working around the k-member. I had already made provisions to drop the k-member but after reading the instructions I thought I give their method a crack. After about 20 minutes of trying to get the top bolt out of the starter, I said to heck with this and pulled the k-member. I had it down in 45 minutes working on the floor. Once out of the way, the stock manifold studs are straight on in the clear. I had my stock manifolds off in 20 minutes. I not going to tell you it is not a lot of hard work. But, with the k-member removed, there is not one single bolt that is hard to get to. I've read the nightmares people have working around the k-member. You may also run into problems that require a header pipe to be pulled once it is almost installed. If I was working around the k-member and had one header almost on and then found out I couldn't get a nut on because a stud was too long, I'd probably just kick the jack out and let the car fall on my head. On BBK LT's, there is at least three bolt positions that the stock studs are too long and once the pipe is pulled up it is impossible to slide a nut over the stud because on of the header pipes bends directly over the stud. I did the whole job in less than 10 hours by myself working on the garage floor. That included 1.5 hours lengthening the front O2 sensor wires. Now that I have dynoed close to 400 rwhp, I'm thinking about going with JBA Cat4Ward headers. They show gains almost equal to LT's and a little more torque. On blown 01 Cobras they show close to a 30 rwhp gain. My plan is the JBA's so I can use my x-pipe, 4.10 gears, Lightning pulley and JDM chip. That should put the car over 450 rwhp and more than enough to handle a Z06 or maybe even a viper.

Last edited by a moderator:

skstang

Established Member
Carpel tunnel for a fellow Cobra owner. Gotta love that. Thanks alot for your help. Now I will have to see what Bassani comes back with for the 03. My wife thinks I'm crazy. " You had to have it because it had more HP and now you want to have more" Gotta love her though she puts up with my shit.:) :) :) :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread