Paging dougwg

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Did you ever get my PM or the e-mail message I tried sending you?

Please reply back or let me know how to reach you, thx.

dougwg

Established Member
? I might have lost the PM... what did you need?

can you re-send the pm or just ask here or give me a call

Last edited by a moderator:

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
dougwg said:

I suppose you lost my PM ALSO. :fm:

JP

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
dougwg said:

Ah, no big deal - I'll just post in here since it might be of benefit to other owners on the board and in the mustang community. I was wondering if you are able to manufacture (or consider manufacturing) a water temp adapter similar to the one on the following page:

http://www.svtoa.org/landm_temp_adapter.htm

electric_small.jpg

I am looking for the electrical version, posted above. Unfortunately, after trading e-mails with L&M service, the gentleman informed me that he no longer makes either version of the adapters. :(

I gathered that the coolant crossover tube relief fitting does not have 1/2" NPT hole for the vent plug - which is why the Autometer adapter does not fit properly. I think it's a 22mm thread - but don't quote me on that! LOL

Some people have had success with getting the adapter supplied by Autometer to fit in the coolant crossover tube, while others, like myself, have had a helluva time trying to get everything to seal up with Plumber's putty or gasket maker (makes for a jigga rigged install - not my style).

If I can't find an aftermarket adapter like the one posted above, then the only other option is to have a bung welded into the coolant crossover tube like the following setup (David Simmons):

http://home.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/tmpsensr.html

manifold.JPG

Of course, going the welding route would be plan B...LOL Thanks for your time. :beer:

dougwg

Established Member
so what you want it a piece that screws right into the fill hole.. right?

yeah, I can make some...but that project would have to get inline

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
dougwg said:
so what you want it a piece that screws right into the fill hole.. right?

yeah, I can make some...but that project would have to get inline

Exactly. Sounds good. How about offering a group purchase if there is enough interest? PM or e-mail me & we can discuss that issue (?)

Also, this is for everyone else out there who might be reading: Are 03/04 owners finding any difficulty in getting the supplied Autometer water temp adapter to properly fit in the coolant crossover vent plug location?

I know it has been suggested that loose machining tolerances are a possibility as to why the Autometer adapter is "hit or miss." Not sure how much truth there is to that. :shrug:

BTW - The vent plug on the 03/04 isn't physically different from earlier cobras (with the exception being that it is located on a different spot on the coolant crossover pipe)? Anyone know if the physical dimensions changed? :shrug:

Thanks for reading, hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. :beer:

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
you can drill and tap the oem plug... a standard drill bit will snap.. not sure what type of drill bit is needed to drill through it

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
BlownShift said:
you can drill and tap the oem plug... a standard drill bit will snap.. not sure what type of drill bit is needed to drill through it

Hmmm, I suppose that's another option - have you done this to your vent plug? Were you thinking of a carbide drill bit?

One other thing, how would you loosen the vent plug in the crossover tube once the adapter/water temp sender is screwed into the newly tapped threads on the vent plug? I would think it would be easy to tighten everything down, but loosening the vent plug might be tricky.
(ie - there might not be enough "bite" to loosen everything. The vent plug won't "break free" or turn, when you turn a wrench counterclockwise at the adapter hex fitting. :shrug: ).

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
If it's a one off or you just need a couple and Doug is BUSY send me a print of what you need done and what it needs to do.
I'll take Doug's lightwork if he doesn't mind?

JP

dougwg

Established Member
hey... I got postbans car here right now...so I can draw up that side of the fitting

but I need a sample of the other end

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
dougwg said:
hey... I got postbans car here right now...so I can draw up that side of the fitting

but I need a sample of the other end

Doug - Are you talking about the bottom end of the adapter fitting? It would need to be a "thinwall" design so that the temp sender probe has room to submerge around the path of the coolant flow...does that make sense?

JP03SVTSNK10TH - The piece needed would basically resemble the "L&M" adapter pictured earlier in this thread; I'm not sure of the exact dimensions though. :(

This is somewhat difficult to describe in detail since I don't know how to properly measure threads/pitch, etc. Please let me know if either of you would like me to PM you my ph# so we can talk it over. I wouldn't mind driving over in the beater and providing the Autometer temp sender probe if either of you need the part for measurements. Just let me know & I'll help out however I can. Thanks again.

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
Sounds like Doug has it under control.
I was just gonna pick up the slack if he was busy.
Thanks Doug.

JP

dougwg

Established Member
yeah I think I should just make a run of them...no real reason to only make 1 or 2

did you ever cut them wideshield wipers?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
COBRA90GT said:
If I can't find an aftermarket adapter like the one posted above, then the only other option is to have a bung welded into the coolant crossover tube

You could always install it in the block.
It's pretty easy.

Dana

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
BLK03SVT10TH said:
...The part you need for the Crossover Tube is Dorman Part # DOR-090-010 (7/8" 14TPI Boss O-Ring), it's an Oil Drain Plug. It needs drilled and tapped for the Temp Probe (1/8" NPT 27TPI)...

I think I'll try this route! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread