Paddle Shifters and Gauge Cluster ?s for auto conversion

kcc05211

Established Member
Does anyone know if the gear selector in instrument cluster will show up using a manual car if converted to automatic? I am also curious if the paddle shifters will fit on a manual steering wheel or are the fixed to the automatic wheel. O know everyone suggests trading my car in but I am planing to convert my car at some point.

13BlackGT

Established Member
My 13 shows the transmission temp and gear in the cluster after swap. I put the as-built data from a auto car into the cluster module with ids

13 GT TVS 6R80

kcc05211

Established Member
My 13 shows the transmission temp and gear in the cluster after swap. I put the as-built data from a auto car into the cluster module with ids

13 GT TVS 6R80

How difficult was the swap? Who programed the computer, ABS and cluster? That is the only part I am concerned about.

13BlackGT

Established Member
I paid $1350 for a shop to do the swap. I got the vcm2 and did the cluster and abs myself. The abs module would not cooperate until I got the original abs module from donor car. Now all is good and works like it's supposed to.

13 GT TVS 6R80

13BlackGT

Established Member
I had to find a car with same options as mine, only auto, to do the cluster

13 GT TVS 6R80

thehunterooo

Established Member
The paddles will go onto any 15-16 mustang steering wheel, just have to swap out the back piece which is easy enough. Not sure if the wires for the paddles will be there though if it is a manual now.

kcc05211

Established Member
The paddles will go onto any 15-16 mustang steering wheel, just have to swap out the back piece which is easy enough. Not sure if the wires for the paddles will be there though if it is a manual now.

That is great. i am hoping someone will beat me to it and try to do the conversion. Everyone says I should trade the car in but I will be losing 6-10K on the trade in and the new car will not have the PP, brakes, radiator, bracing, interior panels and wheels which i like. I think I can buy all the parts for less than 4K if I shop around.

13BlackGT

Established Member
Thanks for the information. Do you know where I can read more about the vcm 2? I looked it up on the site you mentioned and there was not much information there.

No I got my info from several forums. I used version 86. I don't know if it works with 15 up. The version 97 I bought the software didn't work but the hardware was ok. I used Windows 7 and the hardware drivers that came with the vcm2 but not the software

13 GT TVS 6R80

thehunterooo

Established Member
I should say the you need the back piece of plastic on the wheel too that has the holes for the paddle assemblies as well.

I have seen used wheels online for sale with the paddles on them so that would be a possible option unless you can order the stuff.

proamas

Established Member
I'm in the middle of this too. Private message me, I just got the instrument cluster today, everything else is in. I have a virgin automatic ECU waiting on programming. I was afraid the Chinese VCM's wouldn't work.

proamas

Established Member
Just at 3k. All new parts accept the trans and cluster. I got those from a wrecked 2015, hell of a deal at a local junk yard. 1100.00 for trans with converter, and 150 for the cluster. All new parts bought from Auto Nation Ford Bear Lake in Minnesota. They have cheapest prices in the country. Everything is in now accept the cluster. I'll put that in this weekend. The hardest part is getting someone with Ford IDS software to help me program the new auto PCM and reprogram all the modules and do the new PATS on Keys. I have had no success getting dealers or speed shops to help with IDS. I'd do it myself but the VCM 2 and IDS software is crazy expensive. The Chinese knock offs on the internet don't seem to work.

I also have complete wiring diagrams, module CAN bus diagrams, and all wiring harness info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kcc05211

Established Member
Just at 3k. All new parts accept the trans and cluster. I got those from a wrecked 2015, hell of a deal at a local junk yard. 1100.00 for trans with converter, and 150 for the cluster. All new parts bought from Auto Nation Ford Bear Lake in Minnesota. They have cheapest prices in the country. Everything is in now accept the cluster. I'll put that in this weekend. The hardest part is getting someone with Ford IDS software to help me program the new auto PCM and reprogram all the modules and do the new PATS on Keys. I have had no success getting dealers or speed shops to help with IDS. I'd do it myself but the VCM 2 and IDS software is crazy expensive. The Chinese knock offs on the internet don't seem to work.

I also have complete wiring diagrams, module CAN bus diagrams, and all wiring harness info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you planning to add the paddle shifters? Do you know if the wiring is in the column for the paddle shifters? Are you certain that the instrument cluster needs to be changed? I am anxious to see how it works out for you.

proamas

Established Member
Are you planning to add the paddle shifters? Do you know if the wiring is in the column for the paddle shifters? Are you certain that the instrument cluster needs to be changed? I am anxious to see how it works out for you.

Ok here is a quick update. I have installed the automatic cluster and all seems to work great when i have my Manual ECU hooked up none of the PNRDS lights work at all. I then disconnected the battery and plugged in my virgin auto ECU and the lights on the dash immediately worked as did pressing the brake to release the shifter from park. What i found really interesting was my keys still worked for the car and all owed power active to come up like i would be able to start car. I then hooked up my SCTx4 and was even more suprized that the VIN number of my manual car still came up, the ECU strategy was different than the manual as was the ECU SWPN. Now on to see if i can get a good program into the ECU. Lastly, the mileage from the donor cluster was displaying no matter what ECU was plugged in.

proamas

Established Member
It's looking like the BCM Needs to be Flashed. No matter what I do with the clutch switches it won't turn over and displays a message about the clutch pedal needing to be depressed to start. I'm thinking the BCM stores VIN info and info about auto / man info.

Users who are viewing this thread