Pad Preferance

DaveWertz

Established Member
So I would like to know what are some of your favorite pads to use. Nothing that you have to order but more so of what you can find in parts stores. I have hex pads now. I do not remember where I even got them. I am thinking I got them when I bought my Torq polisher. Anyhow I have the white, orange and black hex pads and they seem to work real good. But now I am coming up on needing some new ones and hate waiting for orders to ship. I have seem some good results with Lake Country pads from Autozone but I have no real experience with them myself. I can most of the time get away with using just the orange pad as a one step pad using 3m 3D one hybrid. Sometimes I take the black pad as a final step depending on what color I am working with. Though, that process is probably not needed.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
So I would like to know what are some of your favorite pads to use. Nothing that you have to order but more so of what you can find in parts stores. I have hex pads now. I do not remember where I even got them. I am thinking I got them when I bought my Torq polisher. Anyhow I have the white, orange and black hex pads and they seem to work real good. But now I am coming up on needing some new ones and hate waiting for orders to ship. I have seem some good results with Lake Country pads from Autozone but I have no real experience with them myself. I can most of the time get away with using just the orange pad as a one step pad using 3m 3D one hybrid. Sometimes I take the black pad as a final step depending on what color I am working with. Though, that process is probably not needed.
I’ve used Lake Country for quite awhile. Do yourself a favor and visit www.auto geek.net.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
How well do they hold up? I don't know the facts behind this but without having any type of ribs how well do they transfer heat away from the surface?
Personally, I ordered in batches of 6; typically one type for paint cleaner application, the other for wax application. I use a Porter Cable 7424 Random orbital buffer with 6” pads. Not much heat generated, and I have zero experience with a high speed buffer, but would be willing to learn.
Having 3 cars to maintain, I’d guess that I go through 6 pads in about 18 months.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Dave, they hold up very well. I typically use them with my Flex 3401, which is a forced rotation machine, and they are still going strong.

As far as heat, I monitor the panel temp/heat build up as I go along, I still haven't run into heat issues---you will start to see the pad fail/backing plate when you encounter heat issues.

I will typically use 1 pad per panel I am working on.

DaveWertz

Established Member
Dave, they hold up very well. I typically use them with my Flex 3401, which is a forced rotation machine, and they are still going strong.

As far as heat, I monitor the panel temp/heat build up as I go along, I still haven't run into heat issues---you will start to see the pad fail/backing plate when you encounter heat issues.

I will typically use 1 pad per panel I am working on.
I just ordered one to try out. Found one for 6 bucks. Really want to get a better polisher. Not trying to drop the money on something like a Rupes right now, but would like to get something better than my Torq. I got it when I started out but got so use to it. Its a heavy log though. I need to step my equipment game up.

Sent from my LM-Q620 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
10-4, let us know what you think! And, look at the Griot's G9 for a really good affordable, great warranty machine.

Users who are viewing this thread