PA tuner?

orlo

Established Member
Anyone have recommendations for a good tuner in the Eastern half of PA?

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Looking for a good tuner myself. I've heard good things about DGR performance. Thinking of calling these guys to tune my Cobra.

1slohawk

Established Member
Race proven motorsports in claymont DE. or evolution performance in Aston PA.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Haven't heard much about Johhny Lighting. Looks like he's about 45 mins away which is nice. Might give them a call.

03cobra5485

Established Member
ive had both my cobra's tuned at Johnny Lighetning.. He's def a funny guy and down to earth, he explained everything he was doing with the tune which helped me understand it..Evolution is right down the street from me and they have a bad rep on here, but i know the guys personally and they have always helped me out of a few jams...You can request John Lund through them, or let them do it...RPM is also down the street from me, the owner Fran is a friend of mine, does great work with vettes, i'm not sure if he does 03-04 cobra's though...send me a pm if you've got any questions or what not i can help you out!

Last edited:

da2k17

Established Member
Haven't heard much about Johhny Lighting. Looks like he's about 45 mins away which is nice. Might give them a call.

neither did i until someone recommended him. now hes the only guy to work on my car.

he wont tune to get you numbers, he tunes so the car can perform. i was upset the first time i was there as i didnt gain much over the previous tune but he told me to drive it and see. holy hell was there a difference. he knows his stuff and hes very professional.

its also awesome that he mainly deals with fords.

*TK*

COBRO
Established Member
DGR Performance, formerly SGS Racing located in Dillsburg PA. DGR stands for Dave Guy Racing, Dave is an excellent guy and knows his stuff. Click on the link in my sig to see my dyno day last year. If I remember correctly his prices were $500 for the initial tune and $150 for re-tunes after that (as different modifications go on)

His info:
901 Range End Road
Dillsburg, PA 17019
717-502-8880

DGR Performance - Racing Program

Last edited:

orlo

Established Member
Going to DGR bright and early tomorrow. I'll post up my numbers once I get home!

1slohawk

Established Member
ive had both my cobra's tuned at Johnny Lighetning.. He's def a funny guy and down to earth, he explained everything he was doing with the tune which helped me understand it..Evolution is right down the street from me and they have a bad rep on here, but i know the guys personally and they have always helped me out of a few jams...You can request John Lund through them, or let them do it...RPM is also down the street from me, the owner Fran is a friend of mine, does great work with vettes, i'm not sure if he does 03-04 cobra's though...send me a pm if you've got any questions or what not i can help you out!

Fran just recently got the sct software to tune 03/04's, but roshan his tuner has tuned 03/04's in the past and seeing his track record his tunes always run #'s.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I would like to not recommend RPM or Evolution, unless Lund is doing your tune.

Personally I would use Horsepower by Hermann.

venomisback

Big Member
Established Member
I went to DGR years ago. I can't say enough good things about him and the guys that were there that day. I had my cobra tuned, said goodbye, and started to make my way home when a rocker came loose. I had the car towed back to DGR, and the guys TORE into my car to get it fixed. This was about 4pm Friday and I know everyone was ready for the weekend. Two hours later I was headed back home.

orlo

Established Member
Just got back! I didn't quite hit my lucky numbers on the heartbreaker dyno. The car put down 482/450 heat-soaked after a 3 hour trip in 80 degree weather. I was a little bit disappointed at first, but the trip home changed my mind. A few years ago, the car put down 473/476 on a different dyno, and ran an 11.6 @ 121. After my tune today, the car DEFINITELY pulls harder than before. So I guess numbers aren't everything. Plus, after checking out the timeslip database, I noticed that there are plenty of low dynoing cobras running some great times.

Dave was great and really knowledgeable. I'd definitely recommend them to others.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
DGR Performance, formerly SGS Racing located in Dillsburg PA. DGR stands for Dave Guy Racing, Dave is an excellent guy and knows his stuff. Click on the link in my sig to see my dyno day last year. If I remember correctly his prices were $500 for the initial tune and $150 for re-tunes after that (as different modifications go on)

His info:
901 Range End Road
Dillsburg, PA 17019
717-502-8880

DGR Performance - Racing Program

I second that. Dave Guy is a real stand up guy. He installed and tuned my current setup. If he can make a non-forged, 10.3:1 high compression motor take the wrath of 10-12 psi courtesy of a procharger for 60,000 miles without much as a mechanical hiccup, he's doing something right.

He'll tune your car with sense. If you have the setup and want to go balls to the wall, he'll do that. But if you have a street car, he'll tune it so it drives nice around town, and so you can beat the snot out of it without having to worry about blowing a piston because of an overly aggressive tune.

He's honest. And he's willing to spend time helping you long after he's worked on your car.

I had my car towed to Dave after a different shop overheated and destroyed my brand new forged motor. Since nothing was salvageable and I couldn't afford another new forged motor, so I bought a junkyard aviator longblock instead. He installed and tuned it right.

The best part is that I sued the shop that overheated my forged motor before I took it to Dave to fix. When the case went to court, Dave was kind enough to drive 4 hours and come to court as an expert witness for me. Of course, I paid him, but he really went out of his way. He needed to convince the jury that the other shop overheated my engine because they didn't bleed the coolant properly, so the defense wouldn't confuse the jury or make it look like it was my fault. He had inside knowledge because he tore apart the blown motor and installed a less stout junkyard motor that runs fine with a blower. So, he was able to dismiss all these other bullshit claims from the defense.

Long story short, he made the jury laugh at the guy I was suing because of the stupid basic mistakes this other guy made. That's how good he is.

I can't thank him enough. And I wish I were closer to his shop so I could have him keep tuning my car. I'm half tempted to ship my car from FL to PA on the Auto Train just so I can have him tune my car instead of Lamotta's.

I don't trust shops. I hate taking my car to a shop. But I trust him. Because he gives a damn. And he worked his ass off to build his own shop and reputation.

Homer

orlo

Established Member
Funny you should mention DGR, because that's exactly where I went. I had a great experience there and would go again in a heartbeat. Dave really knows his stuff.

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
Glad it worked out for you. Dave doesn't tune things out to the point of near detonation, so you probably have room to grow.

Dave at DGR (formerly SGS Performance and formerly Kauffman Motorsports) has tuned my Roush since 2004. I had it tuned with the P1SC in 2004 and then tuned with the D1SC in 2008.

I highly recommend to anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread