P2197 and P2629: Replacing both front O2’s. On right track?

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Car has been running fine highway, low rpm and WOT pulls since about 500 miles on pulley, intake and VMP tune. Then noticed some bucking and surging on Friday under light highway loads. Pulled codes which show upstream driver side open. From research it seems NTK 24325 was recommended over the Motorcraft so hope that was the way to go.

I ordered two even though the driver one is the code as I figured I may want to start with a fresh pair. So pulled the stock mid pipe out and pulled both sensors out. You can see the driver side is black so guessing it’s seeing lean and giving it more fuel on that side to compensate and hence the bucking.

Car is 4,400 mile 12 GT500 stock exhaust, JLT 3.0 catch can, 123 intake with the 2.5” VMP pulley and their tune. Is there a way I can bench test these to check resistance and if one is shorted? Is this common to need a front O2? The car is 8 years old with little mileage. And good idea replacing both? Just want to verify I’m on the right path. BTW, what a PITA to pull the mid pipe due to getting pass sensor unplugged even with a lift!

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Pics of the sensors.
LaCncS.jpg

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I always test the signal provided by the sensors , before spending money and time replacing parts , that might not need to be replaced .

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I agree and should have mentioned VMP actually suggested to replace as it was pegged.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I’ve replaced them both and cleared codes. On the SCT X4, what’s the desired Wideband reading to use? Im wanting to make sure I see if the new on is reading. Shame on me for not doing this before. There’s a bunch of choices of different measured A/F.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Wanted to close this as completed and working. Both sensors reading and ok. You can bench test between the heater wiring which should be about 3.5. In my case, they were both reading the same but really need them tested in line.

Users who are viewing this thread