P2068 Instrument cluster bad?

InTrikit 5.0

Established Member
Anyone ever had an instrument cluster (IPC) go bad? I’m currently chasing an issue of my car throwing cel P2068 when tank is above half tank. I’ve done all pin point tests from ford diagnostics which points towards cluster. Tank is nearly full, back probing driver side I am seeing .3volts on both legs, passenger side I am seeing 6v on white/purple wire and 5.4v on org/grn. It difficult for me to understand the cluster went bad car is garage kept with only 18k miles….

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone ever had an instrument cluster (IPC) go bad? I’m currently chasing an issue of my car throwing cel P2068 when tank is above half tank. I’ve done all pin point tests from ford diagnostics which points towards cluster. Tank is nearly full, back probing driver side I am seeing .3volts on both legs, passenger side I am seeing 6v on white/purple wire and 5.4v on org/grn. It difficult for me to understand the cluster went bad car is garage kept with only 18k miles….
Do you have access to a good scan tool? If so, scan your IPC module, Do a network check and ping the module to see if its communicating. I'll check this code out and report back with some recommendations.

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair
PM Me or [email protected]
Website:https: Lightning Fast Electrical Automotive Repair LLC
Remote or Local (On Site) Technical Repair

InTrikit 5.0

Established Member
I did pull the module codes off with forscan. These are the codes that are showing. Some may be showing from when I had key on and sensors unplugged but B1a76 is what was initially showing

Attachments

• E89E9928-28D2-4CC6-8B08-6B5E415D4EEB.jpeg
    E89E9928-28D2-4CC6-8B08-6B5E415D4EEB.jpeg
    367.9 KB · Views: 82

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
These DTC'S have nothing to do with a Failing IPC @InTrikit 5.0 . You have an issue in the fuel circuit.

• P2068 — Fuel Level Sensor B Circuit High

Sets in the PCM when the PCM detects an open or short to voltage on the fuel level sensor signal circuit on the messaged input received from the IPC .

• B1A76:15 — Fuel Sender No. 2: Circuit Short to Battery or Open
Here is whats happening that sets this DTC:

A continuous and on-demand DTC that sets in the IPC if the IPC detects that the fuel level sensor (RH side) is out of range on the input circuit with an open or short to voltage on circuit RMC33 (WH/VT) for 33 seconds. Once the IPC detects a fault, the IPC sets DTC B1A76:15 and the gauge displays between 1/2 and empty (E), indicating the fuel level in the LH side of the tank.

This is how the fuel tank and IPC work togather...........

The fuel tank is a saddle tank design with 2 variable resistance senders, driven by floats, that provide resistances related to fuel level in each side of the fuel tank to the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) . The fuel level is determined using variable resistance fuel sender units, with an approximate resistance range between 180 ohms ± 4 ohms at empty (E) and 10 ohms ± 2 ohms at full (F). The IPC provides a reference voltage to the fuel level sender (part of the fuel pump module [LH side]) and the fuel level sensor (RH side) through individual signal circuits and receives a return through the signal return circuits from both the fuel level sender (part of the fuel pump module [LH side]) and fuel level sensor. As the fuel level changes, a float actuates a variable resistor on the fuel pump module and the fuel level sensor, raising or lowering the fuel level signal voltage depending on the resistance of the fuel level sender (float and card) or fuel level sensor. The IPC monitors the changes in voltage from both senders and commands the fuel gauge with a corresponding movement of the pointer. If the IPC detects the fuel level sensor circuitry is open, the fuel gauge defaults to the fuel level sender (part of the fuel pump module [LH side]) value only and the fuel gauge displays between 1/2 and empty (E) indicating the fuel level in the LH side of the fuel tank. If the IPC detects the fuel pump module circuitry is open, the fuel gauge defaults to the empty (E) position.

Last edited:

InTrikit 5.0

Established Member
@Vinnie_B Yes I have this document and did the pinpoint test for B1a76:15. I’ve disconnected everything and checked the circuit for open or short to voltage. Everything circuit wise checked out ok. No voltage with IPC and sensors disconnected and key on and less than 5ohms in circuit with sensor plug jumped with fused jumper wire and resistance measured at IPC plug.

If I test sensor side unplugged from sendor and IPC unplugged- key on I get zero V at each wire. Same test with IPC plugged in and sensors unplugged I am getting approx 5v on each wire except rmc33 where I am seeing approx 11.4V

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
@Vinnie_B Yes I have this document and did the pinpoint test for B1a76:15. I’ve disconnected everything and checked the circuit for open or short to voltage. Everything circuit wise checked out ok. No voltage with IPC and sensors disconnected and key on and less than 5ohms in circuit with sensor plug jumped with fused jumper wire and resistance measured at IPC plug.

If I test sensor side unplugged from sendor and IPC unplugged- key on I get zero V at each wire. Same test with IPC plugged in and sensors unplugged I am getting approx 5v on each wire except rmc33 where I am seeing approx 11.4V
Ok. Let me take a look at the ford pinpoint test and the electrical print for that circuit. I'll report back.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Are you getting any other faults besides P2068? What Pin Point test Did you do?

InTrikit 5.0

Established Member
No other faults than P2068. If I clear it the car throws the code within 30 seconds of 2nd key cycle. I followed the attached pinpoint test for B1A76:15

Attachments

• Incorrect Fuel Gauge Indication.pdf
    252.5 KB · Views: 112

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
That is the correct pin point to diagnose B1A76:15 @InTrikit 5.0 . If you started the pin point test at B12 and followed it all the way out to the end with no corrective action, it looks like your IPC needs to be replaced. So what exactly are you questioning in regards to the test?

Last edited:

InTrikit 5.0

Established Member
@Vinnie_B I am thinking about cutting the wh/vt rmc33 wire 6” from the IPC connector and test voltage with key on. This would rule out it being shorted to any other wire in harness that only gets power when plugged into IPC.
At that point I’ll be more comfortable pinning it on the IPC… Still trying to wrap my head around how it goes bad. Car sits in the garage most of its life.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
@Vinnie_B I am thinking about cutting the wh/vt rmc33 wire 6” from the IPC connector and test voltage with key on. This would rule out it being shorted to any other wire in harness that only gets power when plugged into IPC.
At that point I’ll be more comfortable pinning it on the IPC… Still trying to wrap my head around how it goes bad. Car sits in the garage most of its life.
Im assuming that when you performed this step
  • Measure the voltage between the IPC C220-18 circuit VMC23 (GN/OG), harness side and ground; and between the IPC C220-19 circuit RMC33 (WH/VT), harness side and ground.

Your getting 0 volts right?

InTrikit 5.0

Established Member
Yeah I got 0v with that test- but I’m just thinking if another wire in same plug is shorted in the harness somewhere I wouldn’t see voltage with that test because it’s unplugged.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I would also check and see if there are any firmware/revisions for the PCM or IPC that would correct this issue if no short actually exists. You could try searching (TSB) and see if this problem was an occurence with this particular issue and how it is rectified.

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah I got 0v with that test- but I’m just thinking if another wire in same plug is shorted in the harness somewhere I wouldn’t see voltage with that test because it’s unplugged.
I agree with that analogy. Maybe a continuity test would be better just to check.

InTrikit 5.0

Established Member
@Vinnie_B Good call, I was really reluctant about cutting wires…. Completed the test I have no continuity between wh/vt rmc33 and any other wire in the plug… it’s gotta be the cluster. I supposed I’ll try one of those mail in repairs first before buying a new cluster….. trying to avoid the trip the the dealer to reprogram

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Before you do that @InTrikit 5.0 call a ford service dealer and provide them your vin and they should be able to tell you if there are some firmware revisions for the PCM or IPC that might fix this issue. If I was closer to you Id offer to reprogram an IPC replacement or check your modules for revisions. Good Luck Brother!!

Wayneswrld11

@InTrikit 5.0 did you ever come up with a fix for this P2068 code ? My 11 500 is throwing this code now only when fuel level drops below 1/2 tank . When tank is full, does not throw the code.. Was thinking it was the fuel sending unit ?

Users who are viewing this thread