P0297 Single Code 2014 GT500 Tuned

Exxit

Established Member
I replied in another thread but didn't want to hijack a thread that looks to be pointing to a similar, but different problem.

Thanks to the previous thread I was able to find a tidbit about someone mentioned P0297 being accompanied by a "dead pedal" feel in the accelerator. I have experienced this maybe 3 times total sporadically since the car has been tuned. I don't remember a dead pedal when I got the code initially while working with my tuner on a remote tune, but I certainly have gotten a dead pedal since this about twice. The way this happens is; car is started (warm starts only so far, never cold or never have i gotten a dead pedal while the car is moving) gas pedal feels like its not sending the right signal to the TB, I shut the car down all the way, turn key from off to start the car again, and the pedal is back to normal. (a ford shop buddy of mine said he'd seen it before too but chalked it up to a fluke as the car was fine when he restarted).

My questions is, has anyone with a gt500 seen this codes before? Any idea what was up? Car's logs looked healthy last time this happened, and I may run some logs tomorrow if I go out to complete the OBD drive cycle in case the code comes back sooner this time. Any insight is appreciated.

Exxit

Established Member
Got the tune in. Ambient was 104 so I didn't beat on it since I'm still on stock HE and IAT2 was hovering around 150 o_O

I did push it past 100, everything (KR, fuel, temps) looked fine on the few WOTs that I did. I was thinking maybe an ecu freak out was causing the truck limit to be tripped... My last drive seems to have debunked that theory. I got home after about a 30 min ride and checked codes. Nothing yet, all clear.

Here's to hoping its either the VSS sensor slowly showing age, or a software bug.

If anyone else sees this or has seen this, lmk!

efnfast

Established Member
I've had by '14 gt500 for 3 yrs now. It's basic mods (pulley, tb, exhaust, tune). I've had the dead pedal happen once - started it up, no response from gas pedal, turned it off and back on and gas pedal was fine. But I didn't show any codes (historic or current)

BCICAN

Established Member
Got the tune in. Ambient was 104 so I didn't beat on it since I'm still on stock HE and IAT2 was hovering around 150 o_O

I did push it past 100, everything (KR, fuel, temps) looked fine on the few WOTs that I did. I was thinking maybe an ecu freak out was causing the truck limit to be tripped... My last drive seems to have debunked that theory. I got home after about a 30 min ride and checked codes. Nothing yet, all clear.

Here's to hoping its either the VSS sensor slowly showing age, or a software bug.

If anyone else sees this or has seen this, lmk!
If you find out please let me know I’m having the same problems and nobody has figured it out. It has been a nightmare all anyone has done is take my money. today HPP told me it wasn’t the 900 tune they charged me for that was the problem. They put my original CAI back in and put original tune back on and car is still doing it. So now I’m just more confused and have $900 less. At this point I know it isn’t the intercooler water pump that wasn’t messed up that another place charged me $1,300 for or the tune I was charged $900 for . They keep saying they can’t find anything wrong . Dead pedal and limp and all the codes says otherwise.

Last edited:

Exxit

Established Member
If you find out please let me know I’m having the same problems and nobody has figured it out. It has been a nightmare all anyone has done is take my money. today HPP told me it wasn’t the 900 tune they charged me for that was the problem. They put my original CAI back in and put original tune back on and car is still doing it. So now I’m just more confused and have $900 less. At this point I know it isn’t the intercooler water pump that wasn’t messed up that another place charged me $1,300 for or the tune I was charged $900 for . They keep saying they can’t find anything wrong . Dead pedal and limp and all the codes says otherwise.

I wish I could be more help to you because it seems like this is really rampant on your car… mine does it once in a million it seems. The two times I’ve noticed it I’ve taken the car a smidge or so about 150 on private roads. So I can understand “over speed” what worries me is that the tuners haven’t seen it before (P0297 only with no other sensor or CAM related codes).

I’ve taken the car out and smacked it up a bit two weekends since my original post and got zero codes ‍♂️.

I’m thinking it’s either a VSS aging or one of the other speed related sensors that calculate that equation are on their way out.

The persistence on your car seems to point towards something similar but also very different

BCICAN

Established Member
I wish I could be more help to you because it seems like this is really rampant on your car… mine does it once in a million it seems. The two times I’ve noticed it I’ve taken the car a smidge or so about 150 on private roads. So I can understand “over speed” what worries me is that the tuners haven’t seen it before (P0297 only with no other sensor or CAM related codes).

I’ve taken the car out and smacked it up a bit two weekends since my original post and got zero codes ‍♂️.

I’m thinking it’s either a VSS aging or one of the other speed related sensors that calculate that equation are on their way out.

The persistence on your car seems to point towards something similar but also very different
I replied in another thread but didn't want to hijack a thread that looks to be pointing to a similar, but different problem.

Thanks to the previous thread I was able to find a tidbit about someone mentioned P0297 being accompanied by a "dead pedal" feel in the accelerator. I have experienced this maybe 3 times total sporadically since the car has been tuned. I don't remember a dead pedal when I got the code initially while working with my tuner on a remote tune, but I certainly have gotten a dead pedal since this about twice. The way this happens is; car is started (warm starts only so far, never cold or never have i gotten a dead pedal while the car is moving) gas pedal feels like its not sending the right signal to the TB, I shut the car down all the way, turn key from off to start the car again, and the pedal is back to normal. (a ford shop buddy of mine said he'd seen it before too but chalked it up to a fluke as the car was fine when he restarted).

My questions is, has anyone with a gt500 seen this codes before? Any idea what was up? Car's logs looked healthy last time this happened, and I may run some logs tomorrow if I go out to complete the OBD drive cycle in case the code comes back sooner this time. Any insight is appreciated.
Think it was maybe my thread.

Very true just let me know if you find out anything . mine started out doing dead pedal very randomly with no lights a long time ago so I thought it was just random because it went away when I restarted and if it isn’t apparent I didn’t have much help from anyone when I asked about it lol . I didn’t have an OBD reader until recently. The limp mode with wrench light started last February or May the first time thought it was just random because it went away after I restarted but the next time it happened it didn’t go away with a restart so that’s when I first had someone look at the car because of the limp and wrench light. And it’s been a nightmare since lol it’s crazy how hard it is to find someone who knows how to do their job

Last edited:

Exxit

Established Member
Necroing my own thread to see if any tuners have ever heard of this before.

It hasn’t happened in a good while but still curious to hear anecdotes.

It seems like the flavor of tune that PBD and Lund use may be at the crux of it… Any chance any of the other tuners or folks with one of those tunes have run in to it?

It’s a tricky code in that it doesn’t illuminate a check engine light… but is a bit ominous considering the car was built to run up to 200mph on enough private road…

This summer is going to be a trying time for me. Depending on finances and job situation I may sell the Shelby for a Dark Horse track spec “track only” model and replace my current “dog suv” with an f150 coyote 10 speed single cab 4x4 with a camper and a trailer for the track car… or revert to bone stock and keep the thing for it’s eventually appreciation as one of the last “real” muscle cars (just my opinion). I’ve got about 16k miles on the thing and it’ll maybe go up another 1k, if that, by summer so I do have a decent opportunity to see it’s 15 or 20 yr old price depending on what happens to Dino sauce cars in that time.

Anyway, consider this a long winded bump.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Shelbys!!

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
P0297 - Vehicle Over Speed Condition

Description:Indicates the vehicle has been operated in a manner which caused the vehicle speed to exceed a calibration limit. The vehicle speed is continuously monitored and evaluated by the PCM. This DTC sets when the vehicle speed exceeds the calibrated limit set within the PCM.

It could be tune related.....I believe the issue is the Powertrain Control Software. Specifically something in vehicle rpm/speed output, CAN network and/or Multiplexing method for communication between modules.

Powertrain Control Module - Vehicle Speed Output (PCM-VSO)

The PCM-VSO speed signal subsystem generates vehicle speed information for distribution to modules and subsystems that require vehicle speed data. This subsystem senses the transmission output shaft speed with a sensor. The data is processed by the PCM and distributed as a message on the vehicle communication network.

The key features of the PCM-VSO system are to:

• infer vehicle movement from a speed sensor.
  • convert transmission output shaft rotational information to vehicle speed information.
  • compensate for tire size and axle ratio with a programmed calibration variable.
  • distribute vehicle speed information as a multiplexed message.
The signal from a non-contact shaft sensor, such as an output shaft speed (OSS) sensor or vehicle speed sensor (VSS), mounted on the transmission is sensed directly by the PCM. The PCM converts the OSS or VSS information to 8,000 pulses per mile, based on a tire and axle ratio conversion factor. This conversion factor is programmed into the PCM at the time the vehicle is assembled and can be reprogrammed in the field for changes in the tire size and axle ratio. The PCM transmits the computed vehicle speed and distance traveled information to all vehicle speed signal users on the vehicle.

Multiplexing

Multiplexing is a method of sending 2 or more signals simultaneously over a single circuit. Multiplexing is used to allow 2 or more electronic modules (nodes) to communicate simultaneously over a twisted-wire pair [data (+) and data (-)] network. The information or messages that can be communicated on these wires consists of commands, status or data. The advantage of using multiplexing is to reduce the weight of the vehicle by reducing the number of redundant components and electrical wiring.

*Troubleshoot the related network, modules and wiring.

CAN Module Communication Message Chart

High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN) and Medium Speed Controller Area Network (MS-CAN) messages broadcast by each module, and the module(s) that receive the message.

Broadcast Message​
Originating Module​
Network Type​
Receiving Module(s)​

Engine RPMPCMHS-CAN
  • ABS module
  • IPC
  • PSCM
Engine RPM (gateway)IPC MS-CAN
  • APIM
  • HVAC module
Vehicle speedPCMHS-CAN
  • ABS module
  • IPC
  • OCSM
  • PAM
  • PSCM
  • VDM
Vehicle speed (gateway)IPC MS-CAN
  • ACM
  • APIM
  • BCM-B
  • GPSM
  • HVAC module
  • SJB

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair
PM Me or [email protected]
Remote or Local (On Site) Technical Repair

Last edited:

BCICAN

Established Member
Did you figure it out ?
I found a problem in one of the connections . One of the MAF wire harness plugs broke off in the one I put that green wire around . I pulled the MAF to get to everything better. When I did part of that plug stayed but took a prong with it . I’m trying to check the rest of the wiring was working on it but kids decided they had to go to the store . Big reason why it’s taking so long KIDS

Attachments

• 2152F636-C14B-4240-BD39-458AC2AD01E1.jpeg
    2152F636-C14B-4240-BD39-458AC2AD01E1.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 52B4B822-D52D-40DB-A605-E0F97E37D284.jpeg
    52B4B822-D52D-40DB-A605-E0F97E37D284.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 48
  • EA284B09-785D-48F2-890C-962B588F9A2A.jpeg
    EA284B09-785D-48F2-890C-962B588F9A2A.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 0198FA80-0473-46B6-BDDE-38D23ECE380F.jpeg
    0198FA80-0473-46B6-BDDE-38D23ECE380F.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 55

claybeatz

Established Member
Did you figure it out ?
I found a problem in one of the connections . One of the MAF wire harness plugs broke off in the one I put that green wire around . I pulled the MAF to get to everything better. When I did part of that plug stayed but took a prong with it . I’m trying to check the rest of the wiring was working on it but kids decided they had to go to the store . Big reason why it’s taking so long KIDS
Op sold the car

Users who are viewing this thread