P0153 fix? Any ideas?

Youngdog223

Hi everyone, my first post here. Bought an 01 cobra, trying to pass emissions in Oregon. Cobra has BBK long tube headers, BBK o/r catless h pipe. Has bama tuner but I have put it back to factory program to pass smog. It keeps setting p0153 bank 2 sensor 1 slow to respond. I did try to replace the sensor to see if that would help, code keeps setting after a day or so. I have search and found some related posts but none will good solid answers. One answer I found that I might try is wrap the header to keep the heat, the thought is the code is setting because the o2 is to cold. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You're pretty much right on with your thinking. Because the long tubes are thinner and place the sensor further from the engine they take longer to heat up. I've never heard of the heat wrap trick, but it sounds like a PITA. What kind of emission testing does your area perform? If they look for monitors you'll either need to put cats on or trick the rear O2's so that the catalyst monitor will set.

Youngdog223

They do look for cats how ever I have installed spark foulers in the rear o2s and they haven't set any codes yet, fingers crossed. The problem with the tune was almost ever monitor was turned off and when they scanned it only 2 monitors came up. So I flashed it back to stock and found there was multiple problems within the car, had to replace o2 sensors, DPFE sensor and install the egr valve. Now I'm just down to this 1 last fault code.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Unfortunately you're going to need a tune to get around that last code. It just won't go away without the right adjustments. A real tuner should be able to set you up with what you need. Don't go back to Bama.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It's just the SCT hand held device with Bama's sticker on it. You can try contacting MalcolmV8 or sleeper04 on here.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I had great luck with Pete @ Performance Dyno in NH.
Here's his web site: Performance Dyno

I trailered my car up there for emissions issues in July of 2017 and he fixed me right up. He said that most of the work he does nowadays relates to these very issues, and he decided to really educate himself on this topic as he watched it become more prevalent.

I know Pete can do work by phone and email. Good luck.

Youngdog223

So figured I would post the final result. Data logged the sensor readings and found bank 2 sensor 1 oxygen sensor acting crazy. Decide to try and remove the o2 extension and found the new sensors wiring was long enough to reach. Low and be hold the sensor readings were normal and I could tell the car was acting better. Performed the OBD drive cycle and got everything to go complete. Now I'm off to emissions testing tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread