P-51 Mustang On the Boil Flyby

1.8t

Established Member
^ Agreed, would love to hear some of your experiences. My first love was flight and the F-16. Went to college as an A.E. and decided to switch to M.E. simply for more career options. Hearing experiences like what you have shared thus far make me regret that decision.

oldmachguy

Established Member
OK. I will try to pick a couple of stories and write them up, but I'm currently dealing with a 92 yr old father in Houston who took it on the chin when Harvey rolled through. So it may be next week. Most of these will be stories, though I do have a few pics of misc. stuff. The stories involve Russians, first flight of the B-2, a guy who almost bought it in a wind tunnel, and - well, more will probably come to me.

TERMN8U

Established Member
How do you subscribe?
I can't wait! GOT, Billions and all my other favorite shoes are over for the year..... so let it rip!! :)

MSA96SVT

Established Member
The problem they encountered in dives was "Compressability" especially for the early variant P-47's and ALL of the P-38's - I think i've read more stories about pilots breaking the speed of sound ( or almost anyway) in thunderbolts more than mustangs.... and btw the speed of sound is @ 700 mph. +/- or somewhere around there.....

Love the sound & crackle form those Packard built Merlin's !!!!

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
OK. I will try to pick a couple of stories and write them up, but I'm currently dealing with a 92 yr old father in Houston who took it on the chin when Harvey rolled through. So it may be next week. Most of these will be stories, though I do have a few pics of misc. stuff. The stories involve Russians, first flight of the B-2, a guy who almost bought it in a wind tunnel, and - well, more will probably come to me.
I'm very excited for this.

oldmachguy

Established Member
Before I step away for a week, anyone interested in the relative combat performance of several famous warbirds should read through this thread:

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/p-47-vs-p-51-in-a-dive.32354/

FWIW, this reads a lot like the kind of bench racing we all do - with the bottom line being that, in the real world, the driver and the circumstances make a really big difference in who wins. For combat aircraft, this old maxim is dead on: "It's not the crate, it's the guy flying it."

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
This thread took on a whole new level of winning! Keep the stories coming oldmachguy. I love stuff like this.

Zemedici

Established Member
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, all true. Let me know what else I can pass on. It was the same group that did the conceptual and preliminary design of the F-86, F-101, RA-5 Vigilante, etc, etc, competed on the ATF (what became the F-22), X-31 (my main assignment), and we got farmed out to various other projects. For example, I once worked about 2-3 weeks straight in the spring of 1991 on a weapon with Sadaam's name on it. Like I said, ask away, I will share what I can.

And forgive the large, bold font - it's easier for me to read.

WHAT SAY MORE MAN. Don't leave us hanging like that.

coposrv

Established Member
This might have just become my new favorite thread here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
This thread had my curiosity....... Now it has my attention.

giphy.gif

oldmachguy

Established Member
OK, I couldn't help myself, so I got started - but just a teaser. Remember that guy I mentioned in my first post (post #11), I ran across a paper he authored on a low speed wind tunnel test of the Space Shuttle (North American Rockwell designed and built the Space Shuttle). My spelling was pretty close, Oliver Sokolsky:
O. Sokolsky Paper on Space Shuttle Wind Tunnel Test.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread