Overheats by aux coolant gauge only

shurur

Established Member
Ok I pretty much know what is wrong and how to fix it, so this is more about what tester to buy.

Recently...
1. Oem coolant temp is rock solid.
2. Aftermarket coolant temp goes up quite a bit (250) when I get on it, steadying out at cruise and idle to about 190.
3. After I come in for a landing and shut her off, I hear gurgling and the overflow tank pushed the limit.

Prior to this most recent run...overflow tank was down some coolant and I filled her.

Everthing may be "ok"..except for the gurgling sound.
I did the HCM and think I see I may see some white dried coolant dust around an AN fitting.

The coolant sensor is mounted after the thermostat on the hose going in to the motor/oil cooler.

Rebuilt cooler...new stewart WP...new hoses...new radiator....new fan motor....system was properly burped once....but that may be a contributing factor now....and I will burp it again, let it cool and then pressurize it to hunt down static leaks.

I have seen and caused this problem before..but more pronounced on wife's G35 when I replaced all her coolant hoses and didn't clamp one down tight enough, so I have done this to myself before..dooohh.

Hate the idea of pulling the intake again..I should have presurized it when I first installed the HCM.

I want to pressurize the coolant system and hunt for a leak. Will an Amazon kit do the job?

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
If I did not have the aux coolant guage installed and just ignored the gurgling after I switched her off....I could pretend all was well....

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Dash gauge is useless. My 01 overheated badly and the needle never moved above halfway. I don't even bother looking at it in my 04. I watch the pillar gauge I have now.

I have the Airlift vacuum set up that I ordered from Amazon. I've managed to find a couple leaks with it. It depends on how big the leak is though. I've had to shut off my compressor so that I can hear the hissing. The pressure type tool would've probably been better since it's manual. I think either one will get you the results you're looking for.

shurur

Established Member
Progress report:
I pressurized the system up to 14.5 psi by the Guage on the pump.
It has held for about an hour!
So I have ordered a new motorcraft coolant reservoir cover.

I will leave the system pressurized for an hour or so more.

hotcobra03

Established Member
You have a oem plastic holding tank?

These are known to also crack ,and the secton under cap was known to warp

Took awhile on mine before issues, for me was on bottom of tank ,
Oem replacement isn't expensive

im still using to original cap

shurur

Established Member
You have a oem plastic holding tank?

These are known to also crack ,and the secton under cap was known to warp

Took awhile on mine before issues, for me was on bottom of tank ,
Oem replacement isn't expensive

im still using to original cap

Well if I replace the cap and it still somehow leaks, then I will suspect the tank is warping when the coolant heats. THANKS.

shurur

Established Member
Ok. Found the leak...

1. oem temperature sensor in the bypass was finger tightened. I must have installed it by hand and never wrenched it. What finally found it was it was showing hot, then would go away after immediately restarting the car. Surprised that static pressure check didn't find it.

2. The sensors for the autometer oil pressure and coolant temp were swapped..dohhh. Temperature meter was reading oil pressure.

3. The temp sensor for the autometer was the wrong one as well.

4. Also the oem pressure sensor was dying and would drop off at times...and scare the crap out if me.

I also put Bars coolant leak into the system. It has AL flecks in it. It should find any leaks in my HCM on the AN fittings, though I didn't find any.

It has been so hot or raining so much that I never got any contiguous time on it, and my awefulizing (panicking) everything was getting in the way of my logic.

Shit happens. Trust no one (including yourself), verify everything.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread