overheating

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
I am new here and want to say that of all the forums on the net this is by far the best out there!
I do have a question , my 94 cobra will overheat all the time unless i have the a/c on or going down the highway.
I dont know if this is normal but i got the following mods on the cooling side.
steeda alum rad
stock water pump
180 therm
stock fan
I have done alot of mods to this car (a ton) and this is really got me twisted. The main thing is i dont always like my ac on all the time, is there any thing i can do or am i just stuck with this?

Thanks for any input!

:coolman:

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Do i need to post this at JDM TECH?
jUST WONDERING.:coolman:

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
No, this is the place to post it. My car was overheating often a month ago and i changed the thermostat and that solved it. Im assuming you have coolant in there...? I recommend changing the thermostat for starters.

Andrew

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Already done it, i put a new 180 in a month ago. The problem is when i sit in traffic she climbes fast. Just wondering if this is common or not,the rad is a year old new coolant new therm new waterpump.

scjmach1

Established Member
If it only overheats when you sit in traffic then check the fan. If it is electric then it may not be coming on. If it is a clutch fan it could be the clutch.
Good luck.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Ok heres the deal, the car DOES NOT OVERHEAT with the ac on.
Does the fan come on when the ac runs and it not come on unless
the ac is kicked on?????????:coolman:

COBRASVT

Established Member
Since it cools when the a/c is on, this means your high speed fan is probably only coming on when the a/c is running.

This would point to the CCRM module being bad. This is the electronic module attached to the overflow bottles bracket on the back side.

Let the car sit in the driveway until it starts to get warm and listen to see if the high speed comes on. Once it goes past the midway point, it should be coming on.

Have someone hit the a/c to make sure you hear the difference.

CCRM are not that uncommon to fail and I might even have one that I would sell you for cheap cheap if the 94 is the same as the 95.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Alrighty then i will let you know soon, Thanks for any input on this matter, I know it is petty but these little things really get under my skin.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
This is right out of the "HAYNES Repair Manual:"

"Fan is controlled by the PCM and the CCRM, which incorporates the low and high speed fan relays and the AC relay. The coolant temp sensor signals the PCM of eng temp and the CCRM turns the fan on at low speed when the coolant temp reaches 221 degrees, and then turns it off at 200 degrees. The high speed of the fan only operateS when the eng is hot AND the AC is on. The fan low speed should come on at the high side of 'NORMAL'."

After having said all of this, my eng indicates rather high, and then cycles back and forth with the fan operation. With the AC on, the temp drops noticibly almost immediately! One other thing, I drive with my fog lights & parking lights on ... as the temp settles at a high reading, turning the lights OFF will make the temp gauge DROP. The oil press gauge drops also. They revert back to where they were when I turn the lights back on!! (??) I may have an electrical problem! On one occasion, my mechanic put the laser-beam of a temp reading instrument on the different parts of my cooling system, and the readings were NORMAL!! I suspect the temp gauge is not very reliable. I plan on installing an independent gauge soon!
I've boiled & rodded my radiator, replaced the thermo with a 180, replaced the serpentine belt, and replaced the upper hose. All of this has had little effect on the temp gauge reading.

To make you feel at ease with the temp reading on your gauge, I suggest that you have a mechanic (if he has one) put a laser-beam temp reading instrument on your cooling components AND the engine, and see if the temp is actually high!

A lot of Cobra owners complain of high gauge readings, and (like myself) worry about damaging the engine. I think a separate, quality temp gauge is called for!

Good luck
Dan Walters

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Done i am going to put a dual pod guage in for temp and oil pressure this weekend (ihope i can do it) so i can get a real reading of what is going on in there. I know it sounds real petty but it is like this its paid for and a daily driver and she still shines real good!!!!!!! thanks for the info and the more ideas the better.:beer: :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread