out with the new and in with the old. (build thread)

1967eleanor

factory spoiler delete yo
Established Member
Remember what I said about those msd distributors lol. Not long after I mentioned that the one on my cousin's car came apart. I took a few pics. The thermostat housings are a pita. Is it an OEM one?
Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

yup, thats kinda why I laughed at the whole thing. thermostat housing is real easy to do. Im just gonna buy an OEM motorcraft sensor to replace the MSD one.

BLK93GT

Established Member
yup, thats kinda why I laughed at the whole thing. thermostat housing is real easy to do. Im just gonna buy an OEM motorcraft sensor to replace the MSD one.

They are just a pita because they tend to leak. If you run into any issues you can always swap the ford internals into that msd btw. Here is a link for the future if need be.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/967196-putting-ford-guts-into-msd-dizzy.html

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

34henry3w

Wow, 1967eleanor, I just read through this entire thread and joined this forum just to reply to it. I have felt like I was taking crazy pills for the last 13 years every time I saw an “Eleanor” sell for $100k + at auction that was so mind blowingly incorrect. I am so impressed with what you have created! As the obvious world authority on the matter I have a few questions for you if you have a moment:

1-The Screen used tires are Goodyear GS D3 17 245 40s on all four wheels. I checked this with the one at imperial palace. So does this mean that all 4 wheels where 8’’ wide?

2-Are the correct fog lights PIAA 4062 or PIAA 4060? Both are noted as being correct by various sources. What do you think?

3- Do you know if the rear bumper was fibreglass or painted steel? I have heard both.

4-Why do all the PS engineering wheels on all the film cars have a bronze tint? Is this really just oil?

5-I heard the grill as a modified Chevy Astro van unit. This makes sense. Do you know what brand it was based on?

6-Do you know what brand the screen used non functional exhaust tips where? (Not the borlas)

7- The screen shot of the go baby go button looks unlike any I have seen. The red button is very large and contoured, almost like a mushroom push switch. Do you know what brand it was?

8-What type of fire extinguisher is correct? It looks like a Kidde FA110 Multi Purpose. Do you agree?

9- In the film, the shifter does not appear to be a Hurst. It seems to have a circular cross section. Do you know what it is?

10-Do you know the brand of the red jewelled indicator on the nitrous switch?

11- I believe they painted the spun aluminum Raydyot mirrors light silver. Do you agree?

Thanks so much in advance for your input.

Last edited:

1967eleanor

Established Member
Wow, 1967eleanor, I just read through this entire thread and joined this forum just to reply to it. I have felt like I was taking crazy pills for the last 13 years every time I saw an “Eleanor” sell for $100k + at auction that was so mind blowingly incorrect. I am so impressed with what you have created! As the obvious world authority on the matter I have a few questions for you if you have a moment:

Thanks for the kind words, I get people all the time who come to me asking what is "correct" and what is not correct. I also watch the auctions and see horrible put together cars that fetch 150k. Not that I ever plan on selling my car but I would be curious to see what it would sell for. The car has been all over the internet, and is widely known as the most movie correct one built. Which is quite an accomplishment being the amount of eleanor clones out there.

1-The Screen used tires are Goodyear GS D3 17 245 40s on all four wheels. I checked this with the one at imperial palace. So does this mean that all 4 wheels where 8’’ wide? The correct tires are Goodyear Eagle GS D2, However they have been out production since 2003ish

2-Are the correct fog lights PIAA 4062 or PIAA 4060? Both are noted as being correct by various sources. What do you think? The correct number is 4062, a 4060 is a clear lens, 4062 is the "fluted lens" and is correct

3- Do you know if the rear bumper was fibreglass or painted steel? I have heard both. The rear bumpers were steel. This was a common misconception, Im not sure where or why it originated.

4-Why do all the PS engineering wheels on all the film cars have a bronze tint? Is this really just oil? The PS wheels will age and have a tint to them. Im not sure if its like an oxidation but I actually prefer it.

mine when brand new in 2010
img2968i.jpg

and 2ish years later.
dsc0260ux.jpg

and one of the originals which would be almost 15 years old now.

812509540558d1dcdb7co.jpg

5-I heard the grill as a modified Chevy Astro van unit. This makes sense. Do you know what brand it was based on?

That I am not sure, I was unable to find out this. I talked to my contact at CVS and he couldnt remember. That is why I fabricated my own after buying a couple astro grilles

6-Do you know what brand the screen used non functional exhaust tips where? (Not the borlas)

I have never been able to confirm it as all of the film cars were modified after the film but Im pretty sure they are off a 99-01ish GMC Danali

1215081707.jpg

on screen
13899421.jpg

7- The screen shot of the go baby go button looks unlike any I have seen. The red button is very large and contoured, almost like a mushroom push switch. Do you know what brand it was?

It was custom made for the movie.

8-What type of fire extinguisher is correct? It looks like a Kidde FA110 Multi Purpose. Do you agree?

not sure, here is one of the originals.

1967fordmustangeleanori.jpg

9- In the film, the shifter does not appear to be a Hurst. It seems to have a circular cross section. Do you know what it is?

There were 2 4 speed cars that were used for interior shots, One had the stock "t" handle shifter, and the other was a hurst.

hurst
47493531.jpg

stock
19869279.jpg

10-Do you know the brand of the red jewelled indicator on the nitrous switch?

also custom made for the movie. Im sure you could buy one at an electronics store. I have yet to actually install the nitrous switch. I should prob do that.

11- I believe they painted the spun aluminum Raydyot mirrors light silver. Do you agree?

no, the mirrors were raw unpainted.

46570845.jpg

Thanks so much in advance for your input.

OT: I managed to find another 1202 light(used in the lower valance and reverse lights), its a single light but being how hard they are to find I bought it for a spare.

photo2lq.jpg

I also got another shot from my photographer from a shoot over the summer. I will say its one of my favorite shots of the car.

8398715231_22a72155a8_b.jpg

Saleen9675

Established Member
[/QUOTE]and one of the originals which would be almost 15 years old now.

[/QUOTE]

Did you take this picture in Vegas? I was lucky enough to take some as well. I noticed the hood was way off. It was the 9th car made for the movie. They had it for sale, asking price was $375,000. It recently sold in the Mecum acution for $130,00 correct me if I'm wrong.

Awsome job on your build!

1967eleanor

Established Member
and one of the originals which would be almost 15 years old now.

[/QUOTE]

Did you take this picture in Vegas? I was lucky enough to take some as well. I noticed the hood was way off. It was the 9th car made for the movie. They had it for sale, asking price was $375,000. It recently sold in the Mecum acution for $130,00 correct me if I'm wrong.

Awsome job on your build![/QUOTE]

no I did not, I found it on the net. To my knowledge it is still for sale. Do you mind emailing me your pictures you took? I always save pictures of the original cars for reference. [email protected] thank you!

What did you mean about the hood being off?

Saleen9675

Established Member
[/QUOTE]no I did not, I found it on the net. To my knowledge it is still for sale. Do you mind emailing me your pictures you took? I always save pictures of the original cars for reference. [email protected] thank you!

What did you mean about the hood being off?[/QUOTE]

Im pretty sure it sold. It had no reserve unless the seller back out. The hood does not line up with the fender. It sits hire than the fender. I took some pictures of it, you will see. I'll send them your way. :beer:

1967eleanor

Established Member
no I did not, I found it on the net. To my knowledge it is still for sale. Do you mind emailing me your pictures you took? I always save pictures of the original cars for reference. [email protected] thank you!

What did you mean about the hood being off?[/QUOTE]

Im pretty sure it sold. It had no reserve unless the seller back out. The hood does not line up with the fender. It sits hire than the fender. I took some pictures of it, you will see. I'll send them your way. :beer:[/QUOTE]

that is cause by the tension of the hood springs. One of the reasons why I dont run them.

quad

Established Member
I spent a few hours reading this thread. I was bummed when I reached the end and realized you're not 100% done with it yet. Now I will have to wait and not get instant gratification!

Great job and your experience and skill is surprising considering your age!

You did great and those professional photos really did this project of yours justice!!

Only question I have is will you do some work on the undercarriage in the future? In the few photos I saw it has a red brown rust appearance. Not sure if it is rust or not.

Is there a reason you did not sandblast the frame and painted it on a rotisserie?

1967eleanor

Established Member
I spent a few hours reading this thread. I was bummed when I reached the end and realized you're not 100% done with it yet. Now I will have to wait and not get instant gratification!

Great job and your experience and skill is surprising considering your age!

You did great and those professional photos really did this project of yours justice!!

Only question I have is will you do some work on the undercarriage in the future? In the few photos I saw it has a red brown rust appearance. Not sure if it is rust or not.

Is there a reason you did not sandblast the frame and painted it on a rotisserie?

I think a project like this will never be "done" I will always be upgrading it and improving it.

As far as the undercarriage the car was on a rotisserie and was cleaned. the paint that you see is called red oxide primer. This was used by ford from the factory.

img0943rdeu.jpg

34henry3w

Hi 1967eleanor

Wow, thank you so much for the detailed response to my questions! While I do not want to hijack and turn your build thread into a general discussion of movie correctness, I do have ONE more batch of trivia questions for you if you have the time!..here goes:

-the denali tips seem to be symmetrical, but the movie tips pitch at the front. Perhaps they where metal worked? Maybe this will remain a mystery!

PS engineerng has sold to vintage wheel, and now they are known as PS vintage wheel. Eli Vasquez confirmed they has started production of the correct wheel!:
-Can you confirm the movie car used 8'' wide rims on all four corners? The imperial palace car does have 4 x 245 40s
-Can you tell me the backspacing for the PS engineering rims F/R to get the correct track with stock rear axle / front suspension?
-Are the correct driving lights PIAA 9591 or PIAA 9593? I have heard both. I see you used the 9593s...do you know what the difference is?
-I heard they used a 1985 dodge caravan fuel filler insert to make the insert for the 71 mach 1 cap. What do you think?
-Do you know the part number of the french made moto-lita 16'' 18 rivet mahogany mk3 wheel? It would help with internet searching!

Ok I really think that is it! Thanks in advance for all your help!

1967eleanor

Established Member
Hi 1967eleanor

Wow, thank you so much for the detailed response to my questions! While I do not want to hijack and turn your build thread into a general discussion of movie correctness, I do have ONE more batch of trivia questions for you if you have the time!..here goes:

-the denali tips seem to be symmetrical, but the movie tips pitch at the front. Perhaps they where metal worked? Maybe this will remain a mystery!

PS engineerng has sold to vintage wheel, and now they are known as PS vintage wheel. Eli Vasquez confirmed they has started production of the correct wheel!:
-Can you confirm the movie car used 8'' wide rims on all four corners? The imperial palace car does have 4 x 245 40s Yes it has 8" all around
-Can you tell me the backspacing for the PS engineering rims F/R to get the correct track with stock rear axle / front suspension? It should be a 4 3/4 back space if running stock 67 susp.
-Are the correct driving lights PIAA 9591 or PIAA 9593? I have heard both. I see you used the 9593s...do you know what the difference is? 9593 have a clear lens, 9591's have the blue.
-I heard they used a 1985 dodge caravan fuel filler insert to make the insert for the 71 mach 1 cap. What do you think? CVS handmade the inserts, The reason I know this is because the spacing between the gas cap and the lid is not exactly the same, and varied from one movie car to another. However people who have built clones have used caravan recess, which are a little more snug fit.

CVS.

starscars9.jpg

glenn gatley's car which uses a caravan filler recess.
173_0312_5az+1967_Ford_Mustang_GT500+Fuel_Door.jpg

-Do you know the part number of the french made moto-lita 16'' 18 rivet mahogany mk3 wheel? It would help with internet searching!

The wheel used in the movie was a 1.5" dish 15" 18 rivet MK3 wheel. It had a 9 bolt center hub. It has been out of production since 2002. The only one that is available to my knowledge is made by lecarra, and it 14 3/4" and is a 9 rivet, the finish on the wheel is also darker because it is made by Lecarra USA not motolita of france.

Ok I really think that is it! Thanks in advance for all your help!

Last edited:

1967eleanor

Established Member
While I was home for spring break I decided to address one of the last cosmetic things on the car that had been bothering me. The stock stamped steel gas tank, it was a ribbed galvanized silverish kinda uglyness. Its not seen too much due to how low the car is but it was still out of place in my opinion.

35017117v.jpg

img0941gx.jpg

and as you prob guessed it the movie cars had fuel cells. However after doing some research I found that the fuel safe brand tanks used on the movie cars ran about $1500. Which would be fine except that the bladders need to be replaced every 5 years or so and run about 1000-1200 to replace when they do go, In addition it would need to be modified to work with my fuel system. So that was out.

1967eleanor3.jpg

So I contacted a friend of mine and had him build me my own out of 1/8" aluminum. I then metal finished it and had it matte clear powdercoated. This will allow me to take a damp rag and wipe it down without it getting waterspotted. Im very happy with the final result and it really cleans up the rear end of the car. (ignore the stain on the floor, old mopar marking its spot)

img2023dj.jpg

img2024af.jpg

img2013vv.jpg

img2021i.jpg

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Damn, man! Is there anything left to make it "look" like the movie cars? You're attention to detail is amazing.

1967eleanor

Established Member
Damn, man! Is there anything left to make it "look" like the movie cars? You're attention to detail is amazing.

yeah, there are a few minor details I will address as I get time.

I have to swap out the fender flares. I got a set from the same movie car as my hood.

you can see the difference here. Mine is on the left and the movie car on the right

rearflare.jpg

frontflare.png

I am also gonna remake the front grille. The movie car had a curved one where mine is straight.

67eleanorgrilleud2.jpg

canibus

Established Member
Are the gaps of the trunk lid to the body even? Seems like a nice 1/4" gap on the left and a 1/16" gap on the right. Might be the angle the pictures were taken in though.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Are the gaps of the trunk lid to the body even? Seems like a nice 1/4" gap on the left and a 1/16" gap on the right. Might be the angle the pictures were taken in though.

If I remember correctly he's been fighting with that for a while. He's a perfectionist in the best possible way, so I'm sure he's addressing it.

Users who are viewing this thread