out with the new and in with the old. (build thread)

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member
Eff that. Why put all of the money into making the car exact to the movie to have a modern engine in it and have the car not sound right? This car needs a pushrod with a nice cam and a set of heads.

Looks great, man! I wish I had the space and tools to take on a project like this.

x2. Putting a mod motor in this there would basically defeat the whole goal of this car.

1967eleanor

factory spoiler delete yo
Established Member
VERY nice man :rockon:

How are things? It's been awhile...

Great progress in a short amount of time on that sucker! Keep up the good work!

yea it has, kinda been away from the mustang scene for a year or so. Been working on some other projects, but its good to be back.

x2. Putting a mod motor in this there would basically defeat the whole goal of this car.

While putting a modular motor in the car would be cool, its been done. There are people who have built "eleanors" with termi motors and similar powertrains. Not to mention I dont have the money to do a modular swap. My last two mustangs were both 4.6 dohc motors, great motors for sure but I think a fuel injected cammed pushrod would be more fitting for the car. Ideally the car should have a 428 big block but I want something I can jump in and drive anywhere, not saying I couldn't do that with a carb' motor but this motor is more practical. Plus there is a huge aftermarket for 5.0 parts.

Turkish

The Perpetrator
Established Member
Cool build, Are you using C.V.S. for the Eleanor parts or another manufacturer? I've researched this build so many times myself, even built an Excel file parts list. Like you mentioned before, hard to find a decent car to build upon. 67-68FB's have went through the roof since the movie came out.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
slap on an explorer top end, and choose a cam with alil more lift/duration on the exhaust side, headers, CAI, and I'de say you would have a decent starting point. Maybe add 3:73s? The movie cars really only had 289s. Tho the soundtrack you hear is from a blue 1967 428 GT500 with side pipes.
Car looks tits! Can't wait to watch this one come together!

1967eleanor

Established Member
Cool build, Are you using C.V.S. for the Eleanor parts or another manufacturer? I've researched this build so many times myself, even built an Excel file parts list. Like you mentioned before, hard to find a decent car to build upon. 67-68FB's have went through the roof since the movie came out.

the trunk and endcaps are made by tony branda, the upper scoops are maier, and the front end/hood is CVS because it has the correct shape. I'm actually getting one of the original hoods made by cvs for the movie.

photozt.jpg

slap on an explorer top end, and choose a cam with alil more lift/duration on the exhaust side, headers, CAI, and I'de say you would have a decent starting point. Maybe add 3:73s? The movie cars really only had 289s. Tho the soundtrack you hear is from a blue 1967 428 GT500 with side pipes.
Car looks tits! Can't wait to watch this one come together!

the movie cars had a bunch of different motors, from 460s to 351s to 289s. Im goign to be adding 3:89 gears in the back first thing, then next winter i'm gonna get a set of AFR heads and a big cam.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Sounds like a damn good plan you got!
My buddy is building a 347 for his fox, and he's got the AFRs sittin in his room waitin for him to have the cash to finish the bottom end. AFR 185s I do believe.

rcn4god

Swirl Slayer
Established Member
i said that due to the price that motors have come to...used to be 10k now can get for 5k sometimes

1967eleanor

Established Member
i said that due to the price that motors have come to...used to be 10k now can get for 5k sometimes

it would cost A LOT more than 5k to do that. don't forget you cant just drop that motor in, you have to remove/notch the strut towers. It would cost closer to $15k all said and done. I may build a347 for it next winter, a high reving small block in this car would be a blast.

69clark

Established Member
Dave, congrats on the new project. Looks like it is coming along nicely so far. I definately be watching this thread! Can't wait to see how you do with it.

sixt5

Established Member
it would cost A LOT more than 5k to do that. don't forget you cant just drop that motor in, you have to remove/notch the strut towers. It would cost closer to $15k all said and done. I may build a347 for it next winter, a high reving small block in this car would be a blast.

ha, be lucky you got a 67 and not a 65/66. 351 C wont fit.

1967eleanor

Established Member
Dave, congrats on the new project. Looks like it is coming along nicely so far. I definately be watching this thread! Can't wait to see how you do with it.

tom long time no see!. you should come up and hangout one of these days

1967eleanor

Established Member
spent the another 10 or so hours fiberglassing then blocking the trunk/endcaps, finally got them fitting nice. I had to raise the front of the drivers side up a bit to sit flush. Next on the list of things to do is block the rear quarters and work on the side of the endcap to get that gap nice, I already started a bit on the passenger side.

gap

img2353i.jpg

img2352e.jpg

trunk and endcaps

img2362c.jpg

img2360c.jpg

img2359.jpg

Then I pulled it out to sweep out of the garage and blow all of the dust off it.

img2355c.jpg

img2356p.jpg

img2357g.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread