Out of the ashes, a Phoenix is born (Boss 302 teardown and rebuild)

ford20

Established Member
F-150 Ecoboost. I looked at them strangely and said that it is rated to 9,700 lbs. if I am remembering correctly. There is no way my car and a trailer comes up to 9700 lbs.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
F-150 Ecoboost. I looked at them strangely and said that it is rated to 9,700 lbs. if I am remembering correctly. There is no way my car and a trailer comes up to 9700 lbs.

Yeah WTF are they smoking?
Did they say what truck you'd be "allowed" to tow their trailer with?

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
Tell them you are towing a Miata. I used a uhaul trailer to tow my 13 GT500 home from the dealer when I bought it. No problems. It's an F150 Ecoboost SCrew.

ford20

Established Member
That's pretty much what I am going to do. I will figure something out that is lightweight and use that. From what I am hearing, that is what everyone has to say when they pickup a U-Haul Trailer.

I got my battery box all done and completed this weekend. I got a 3/16 center hole punch and put it into my drill and drilled a hole into the nylon strap for the rivet to go through and then melted the nylon to prevent it from fraying or anything then like.

I used some chalk lines to then line up a nice area where the nylon strap will come through the piece of carbon that is attached to the battery tray. It came out pretty good and it is a lot tighter than it may look in the picture.

26166271111_b09dd112dd_b.jpg

25629890953_83b44f06fa_b.jpg

From there I ended up cutting a third hole in the Carbon fiber so that I can access the third bolt that goes in bottom on the right of the tray. I got everything mounted and it looks pretty good! I still have to get some of the fabric electrical tape and retape everything so that it look a lot cleaner than it currently does.

25627813154_ce79169871_b.jpg

ford20

Established Member
This happened on Wednesday the 20th, but I have just been so slammed at work that it has taken me a while to get this all written up.

First things first, I needed to get the car washed. It had been sitting outside for about 6 or 7 months since its last wash and was look pretty crappy, so I gave it a bath and realized how much correction I am going to have to do to this car once I get it back. It is bad!!

26550569451_106e2a5de7_b.jpg

Although it does look good in the shade!!

26589913916_b81a6ed250_b.jpg

I also got to cleaning my wheels with Polish Angel Mint+ and I have to say HOLY CRAP!! I used nothing but the Mint+ on one wheel and went through too much product doing it that way, but the wheels came out amazing! The pictures don't really do it justice IMO.

You can see how nice the face of the wheel looks compared to the barrel of the wheel before cleaning it.

26616031155_42dcf0ac61_b.jpg

Don't mind the black mark, that is just old glue from the old wheel weights. The wheels looked unbelievable when I was done with them. Like they were brand new, I was impressed.

26342861590_9463b7820c_b.jpg

Even though I have been told by a couple of people that I didn't have to worry about supporting the front of the transmission, I figured it best to do so. I just grabbed a 2x4 and some zip ties and supported the front of the transmission.

26010571004_a1659e27f8_b.jpg

I have a new slave cylinder so the old one will be replaced shortly. I loaded up the trunk with everything I could fit in there and then put the driveshaft and over axle pipes in the back of the pickup, ran down to U-Haul and grabbed the trailer. I have to say, it certainly was an adventure getting the car onto the trailer but it went on haha.

26495470961_ef70e384d7_b.jpg

26561552575_14dd32fa31_b.jpg

Me and my buddy Franky Lap (Paladin LL 06) got up at 5 to bring the trailer down to JPC in Maryland. It is about a 4 1/2 hour drive from NY down to there. The only issues was that a cable snapped on the Delaware Memorial Bridge and they only had one lane open so it took us 2 hours to go all of 8 miles which sucked balls. We should have been down there at around 9:45, but got there at 11:30 instead.

26495470921_131f1ecd39_b.jpg

We got down there and Aaron was nice enough to give us a tour of their shop and I have to say that this place is the real deal. The amount of cars they have there and the projects they had going on was crazy. They had a couple cars getting some hellion kits installed, one S550 was having his motor rebuilt looking for a 4 digit power number, another one was getting the rearend tubbed so he could tuck 315s under the fenders, one was a turbo or twin turbo lightning, they just did a GT500 with custom grind cams and finished the tuning on it a few days before hand, then he went on pointing out the cars they had there saying this is an 8 second car, that is an 8 second car, 8 second, 9 second 3V, 8 second cars here there & everywhere! Jeff Polivka's Boss was getting some work done to it and looking for win #2 in Maple Grove, Jesse Porter's GT500 was there with the exhaust coming out the hood which was badass! John Kauderer had his Cobra Jet there, Lance Rainey had his Boss at JPC for some work (You might remember him from the GTR vs. Boss 302 video that caused a lot of butt hurt GTR fans), Clint Bates was getting his Blue Boss worked on with a setup that was similar to Jeff Polivka's if I am remembering correctly. TJ Lapinski had his Coyote swapped New Edge there for some work. Ronnie Reynolds car was just hanging out in the background. They had everything there, a bunch of coyotes, a couple 3V's, a classic (67 IIRC), some GT500's, a lightning, a few motors being built (my motor, 2 other coyotes from what I can remember, I thought I saw a 2V there as well but I'm not 100% certain about that), they had a Viper, a SRT8 Grand Cherokee and a Dakota pickup as well. They work on anything and everything! Tommy was wrapping up some of their turbo kits for shipping and everyone was pretty busy. I wish I took some pictures though. This was the one that Franky got after we unloaded the car.

26495470341_a9c9135a8f_b.jpg

26012110484_fae5cceba5_b.jpg

They have the most badass Boss on the planet there so lets hope that when they are done with it, mine will be the most badass N/A Boss as well. Now we just play the waiting game. They had a few cars to finish up before Maple grove along with the cars that were there before me. I am just waiting on D Mark Performance to send me back my intake manifold so I can get it back down to them for the motor.I told them that I would like the car back before Carlisle this way I can finally have it back. I don't want to have to go to Carlisle again without my car. It really sucked the first time. I will have them do 2 tunes for me. One, 93 octane w/ cats and the second E85 without cats for my racing tune. I'm probably conservatively expecting like 520-530 on the 93 tune, but if I can get 580 out of the E85 tune I will happier than a pig in shit for sure!! :rockon:

ford20

Established Member
Yesterday I had gotten these pictures from Eric saying they were getting to work on putting the car back together:

26354616093_e728a75474_b.jpg

26354616203_4627972506_b.jpg

26685534440_8e6821fcb4_b.jpg

I haven't been this excited since I felt my first pair of titties!! Eric was hoping for 600+WHP and I was hesitant at first, but after a few changes and talking with him I am confident we will be over the 600 mark.

From the sounds of things they are just finishing up the little details of the motor. Stupid me forgot to send them down some bolts they needed to finish the car off so they are gathering the bolts for me and will put them in the car. This car is going to be a ****ing MONSTER when it is done. The engine is going to be insane and then it is time to hook up the suspension to handle all the power.

ford20

Established Member
[video=youtube;FVJhFFymtYg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVJhFFymtYg[/video]

Im stoked right now!!!! It sounds vicious untuned right about now.

Last edited:

ford20

Established Member
Sounds even better moving under its own power!!

[video=youtube;k-GQyuSqtlc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-GQyuSqtlc[/video]

ford20

Established Member
No doubt!! I hope it will retain some of that same character after tuning. Although Power> Sound but still hot damn haha.

ford20

Established Member
The tuning process has begun!

[video=youtube;567khSOhx_4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=567khSOhx_4[/video]

ford20

Established Member
Well I lost the motor to absolutely no fault of JPC or RGR. Justin had the car on the dyno for maybe 10 minutes just getting everything ready to start the tuning process when they heard a sound coming from the passenger side of the motor. It was the same process that they have been doing for 13 or 15 years when they first opened their doors so it wasn't like they tried anything different here, same procedure as every car that comes in their shop. They had the motor out of the car and torn down that afternoon and the shortblock at RGR the next day for tear down and inspection. Long story short there was a manufacturing problem with one of the pistons that no one would have been able to find. Eric has been in constant contact with me since the very beginning and going over everything with me and showing me what the problem was and what happened.

JPC is 120% going above and beyond and covering all costs for me as the car had only been running for maybe a total of 20 minutes and never saw anything over 2000 RPM. From the absolute get go back in December of 2014 when I first spoke with Aaron about the rebuild, JPC was the first person who actually took the time to sit there and talk with me about the engine and what I was looking for and going after. Fast forward a year and 8 months and I have absolutely nothing but amazing praise to say about Justin and the entire crew over at JPC. I know that I have seen situations like these many times both on the internet and in person where a motor blew and everyone sat there pointing fingers at either the engine builder or the tuner or a manufacturer leaving the customer high and dry, but that this is not the case at all. From the very beginning it was always no matter what the outcome is, we are going to take care of you even though at the end, this was no fault of JPC or of RGR, it was just one of those things that happens when you push the limits. It's not a prefect world out there and sometimes even the best parts fail which happened to be the case here. That is one of the great things about JPC IMO is that even though they don't build the shortblocks in house, they have such a close and excellent relationship with Rich that it is as if you are dealing with the same company. I mean yes, it was very disappointing and sort of heartbreaking, but at the end of the day JPC wont let anything that is less then 100% out of the shop and when my car gets out it will be a N/A monster.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
AAAAAAAAuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SVOGT302

Established Member
Premium Member
How disappointing but it's great to hear how JPC & RGR are supporting you to resolve this highly unfortunate situation.
Kudos to them & good luck!
Tom in NJ

hedgehog

Established Member
this crap of blowing up 4Vs has been happing to long .its almost like we should have a pool when someone starts a build . when is it going to blow up .its 20 years now WTF.are these engines to complicated for most people that they shouldn't be screwing with them

ford20

Established Member
this crap of blowing up 4Vs has been happing to long .its almost like we should have a pool when someone starts a build . when is it going to blow up .its 20 years now WTF.are these engines to complicated for most people that they shouldn't be screwing with them

Not even close. I have a picture of the piston and it was clearly the fault of the piston manufacturer here and they just had a bad product slip through. Instead of having some long drawn out battle here where I am out without a car for months on a build that is almost 2 years old due to my lack of finances, JPC is stepping up to the plate big time here and comping me the rebuild on the the new motor while they work with the manufacturer.

JPC doesn't screw with them, they build monsters. They hold the record for the quickest, fastest, swiftest what ever term you want to use factory style suspension coyote running not to mention multiple 7 second coyotes, a plethora of 8 second coyotes and more success stories then anyone building these cars. When it comes to shit like this sometimes somethings beyond your control happen and **** your day up.

Users who are viewing this thread