OTC FL1-HP oil filter options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmorecobra

Off stacks
Established Member
I have a MM oil filter relocation kit on my car and have always used the recommended Motorcraft FL1-HP filter with it. MM seems to swear by it.

With that being said I am curious to know if anybody else has had success with other high performance oil filters that can be bought at the local parts store (I always have to internet order the FL1-HP).

The two I know they typically carry are the K&N HP-3001 and the Mobil One M1-301.

From what I have found the main difference between the FL1-HP and conventional filters is it's high hydrostatic burst pressure of 600 psi. From what I gathered both the K&N and Mobil One filters I listed also have burst pressures between 500-600 psi.

What do y'all think or have experience with? Or should I definitely stick with the FL1-HP that MM uses and recommends for the oil filter relocation kit?

Lastly Unleashed, is there a comparable Amsoil high performance oil filter that would be on par with the FL1-HP?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Not exactly what I would call quality, but I guess when you only use it a few races and throw it away, who cares. My vote is the Amsoil EaO15.

Notice paper end caps and cheap media construction. Sure, the can is strong, but the media within isn't.

FramHP1.jpg

Hard to compare to a filter like the Amsoil EaO15. I forget what Royal Purple's version part number is, easily found in Pep Boys.

AmsoilEaO15.jpg

K&N is built a lot better than the Fram as well.

KNHP-3001.jpg

Mobil 1 is the same filter.

Mobil1M1-301EP.jpg

Last edited:

bmorecobra

Off stacks
Established Member
Unleashed, thank you for the detailed response! Those pictures definitely provide insight to the vast amount of difference between cheap vs quality filters. I've always stayed away from FRAM, I've heard/seen too many pictures like the Buick picture above over the years.

So for future reference, anybody that is looking for a solid/reputable alternative to the Motorcraft FL1HP filter here are your options:

Amsoil EaO15
Royal Purple 30-8A
Mobil One M1-301
K&N HP-3001

kbmag1

Established Member
Does fram ultra make one in this size? The ultra's seem to have a strong following on the oil site

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Does fram ultra make one in this size? The ultra's seem to have a strong following on the oil site

Yes they do, part # XG8A, and Fram has come a long way with quality. Formerly called Xtended Guard, now called Ultra.

Picture for example, not actual part #

exploded.jpg

Better quality than Fram's HP1, since it's not a throw away after the race.

Wix has an option as well from their line of racing filters.

10536_1.gif

Amsoil stocks these for sale.

Wix 51515R

WIX doesn't build them cheap. This is their "base" model filter build style.

WIX-51515_SN.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Great info in here!

The Royal Purple extended life synthetic oil filter is designed and tested to a burst strength of 600psi.

Part #30-8A is the correct # that pertains to this thread.

RP oil filters are now stocked by all O'Reilly warehouses, so any local O'Reilly store can get them fairly easily.

As mentioned Pep Boys would typically have them right in stock.

All the online guys have them too.
Amazon.com
Jegs
Summit Racing
Pace Performance
PerformanceParts.com
Lucky7trucks.com
And more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread