OT: Trailer Tie Downs

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
So, I'm looking to purchase tie downs for the Trak Pak. The rear is easy enough. I'm concerned about the front end. I have d-rings, so no e-track stuff. I'm figuring since the car is so low, I will have to tie down through the rim. Does anyone have an recommend straps or procedures? I'm figuring I'll have to put a towel down to ensure I don't tear up the rims. I'm eye balling Vulcan products right now.

Anyone have any good input?

wheelhopper

Established Member
Ryan, I use the standard big yellow wratchet straps from WalMart. I am not familiar with the new Mustangs suspension set up, but on my Terminator and fox body, I place the hook into the spring perch on the A arm from underneath. It holds great.

Driver500

Established Member
Cut the toe out of an athletic sock and run it over the strap. Make sure the sock touches the wheel and not the strap and you should be fine.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Last edited:

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
Ryan, I use the standard big yellow wratchet straps from WalMart. I am not familiar with the new Mustangs suspension set up, but on my Terminator and fox body, I place the hook into the spring perch on the A arm from underneath. It holds great.

This is the method I use. However, his car doesn't have a spring perch like ours.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
This is the kit I bought.
Vulcan Pro Series, for low cars.

Exotic Car Tie Down Kit | Truck n Tow.com

You need to piece together the ends that you want, ratchets etc. iirc, the whole kit cost about $130 for all 4 corners
that's exactly what I was considering
These work great, scroll down to the 8pt. tie down. They're easy to put on, anchor the car well and accommodate different wheelbases and track widths easily. I got the 12,000lb web straps in 14' length when I called below the picture for the same price of only $84.

Car Tie Down Straps, Wheel Straps, Axle Straps, Side Mount Auto Tie Downs, Auto Wheel Tie Down, Auto Wheel Strap, Lasso Strap

Those look good but don't think I have a d-ring behind the front tire

thanks for the input guys!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I don't like tying the car down by the wheels unless you're going to use an over the tire web type strap like this:

Tow Dolly Basket Straps - Wheel Net Car Tire Tie Down Basket Straps

Even then I'm not crazy about them. :dw:

I like to stick the hooks of my Sam's Club 2" nylon straps into the openings on the ends of the K-member and criss-cross them to tie the car down. That way there's no pressure on the wheels or steering components.

When I had my Shelby I used to tie the rear axle down with axle straps. It tore the crap out of the straps even with the protective sleeves on them and it did not hold the rear axle as secure as I would have liked either.

When I got my Boss 302S I solved the problem with the rear axle tie down eyes. They hold the rear axle infinitely more firmly than the over the housing method and I don't tear up any more straps in the process. Plus they screw right into the factory tapped holes.

379127_244329258960323_124289350964315_668174_31000400_n.jpg

$10 each available from Full Tilt Boogie Racing part number FT 950 found on this page:

Full Tilt Boogie Racing Shopping Cart

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I like to stick the hooks of my Sam's Club 2" nylon straps into the openings on the ends of the K-member and criss-cross them to tie the car down. That way there's no pressure on the wheels or steering components.
How hard is it to get to that part of the car? Mind you I'm in the dark since I'm used to tying down the SVO and I just wrapped through the control arm. My fear is that how the the car is I can't get to k-member when its in the trailer.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
How hard is it to get to that part of the car? Mind you I'm in the dark since I'm used to tying down the SVO and I just wrapped through the control arm. My fear is that how the the car is I can't get to k-member when its in the trailer.

I use what I call a "handling stick". It's a piece of 1/8" x 1-1/4" about 36" long, aluminum flat stock and I stick it through the loop of strap going around the hook. This extends my reach so I can install the hook in the end of the K-member. I used that method to tie down the Shelby when I had it and the Boss is identical. You'd have to have NBA length arms to reach under the car that far and with a splitter, it's even tougher.

I might be able to get some pics tomorrow if you'd like.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
The car won't be back up on the lift until tomorrow so I can't show you how I hook it but it goes right into the sides of the K-member.

Here's a couple of shots of the strap on my handling stick. Make sure the stick is wide enough to fit tightly to hold the hook in this position. Also be sure there is a lead on the end of the stick so you can get it in without fighting it everytime.

Users who are viewing this thread