Original Resto Candidate?

nelzsvt

Established Member
So I got the itch for a fox body and bought a 1993 lx hatchback off of craigslist. The car has 183,000+ miles. It is far from pristine but retains a lot if original parts. Strut towers are starting to go and it needs a new quarter panel. My plan is to drive it on nice days for the summer. Because of how original it appears to be I am contemplating an ORIGINAL restoration! Does anyone else have any experience doing this? The color is a one year option and it is an original 5.0, 5 speed car. Share your thoughts or opinions on this. Thanks!

crazycarlo

Established Member
I dunno how bad the rust is up there......with that said unless you got a really great deal Id sell anything with strut tower problems. Fox bodies are so abundant, atleast down here that it shouldn't be hard to find a good body.

Against that's just my opinion. What color is it?

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
I personally haven't seen a large Fox-body crowd doing full-tilt original resto's at this time. I could be clueless, though. I know the Special Service Police (SSP) community is doing some amazing things with restoring 87-93 Mustang police cars of the same era. Those guys are buying up all the NOS stuff, lol! Other than the 93 Cobra's (including the R), which appears to be leading the fox body in values, SSP cars are following, probably with low mileage originals following them.

The car hobby is just that- a hobby. Nothing wrong with doing a 5.0 fox 5 speed... had one myself. I think you're approach is realistic... work on it as you drive it, though. Try to keep it complete and running as long as you can. There are many hulks sitting in garages where people got in too deep and lost interest. Restoration can be fun, but its a lot of work and it takes lots of time. Sounds like you have a cool project, though. Post pics if you can.

nelzsvt

Established Member
I dunno how bad the rust is up there......with that said unless you got a really great deal Id sell anything with strut tower problems. Fox bodies are so abundant, atleast down here that it shouldn't be hard to find a good body.

Against that's just my opinion. What color is it?
I wouldn't say I got a great deal but the mods seem minimal so I thought maybe restore it. Before I picked up this one I looked at a basket case 100% original 1986 lx hatch. I could see through the tower behind the wheel to the engine. Bondo in the roof was cracking. But 100% original?!? I offered well below his asking price for it as a parts car. It was gone to someone else a few days later and I felt like I let one get away. Smog pump, cats, and original mufflers! So I happened upon this royal blue lx hatchback 5.0, 5 speed and bought it despite all the flaws.

nelzsvt

Established Member
I just checked the block stamping and it matches the vin. Also the vin is on both fenders and on the buck tag on the radiator support.

nelzsvt

Established Member
full
%5BURL=https://www.tacomaworld.com/media/i...ld.com/media/img_2141.561058/full[/IMG][/URL]

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
You'd be way ahead finding a well preserved original car. Witt a full resto you'd be way upside-down. I do understand the love for the foxes though. I have had 3 of them over the years and loved them all.

Edit - I'd drive and enjoy your car, but I wouldn't do a full restoration on it.

nelzsvt

Established Member
You'd be way ahead finding a well preserved original car. Witt a full resto you'd be way upside-down. I do understand the love for the foxes though. I have had 3 of them over the years and loved them all.
When I find those well preserved originals the owner is usually asking for the original purchase price or more. The other thing is every other fox I find is heavily modified because of the immense availability of aftermarket upgrades. I feel like I lucked out with this one, but then again it does need a lot of work.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I hear you, but to restore a fox ( unless you do all the work yourself ) you are going to spend twice what they cost new. Deals are out there. I understand they aren't always easy to find, but they are out there.

crazycarlo

Established Member
like mentioned above, just drive it and enjoy it and do a little as you go. That's how I did mine. When I bought my coupe 2 years ago it had no speakers in it, the weatherstripping was shot. The door lock actuators were shot, the power mirrors didn't work and my drivers seat had the lean to it. since then Ive.

took the carpet out and cleaned the floor and pressure washed the carpet before install.

New door weather stripping and window run channels

polished window guide bars and new bar bushings

new door backing boards

repainted the mirros and door trim

new lock actuators

rewired the mirrors

all new 6 speakers and head unit.

sound insulation on the floor and doors and trunk (headliner next)

new x pipe and mufflers.

The only time during all of this I couldn't drive my car was when the stock fan clutch went out and it would get hot. I did an electric fan swap and shes my semi daily. I have no issues getting in the car and taking it on 2.5 hour one way trips.

nelzsvt

Established Member
like mentioned above, just drive it and enjoy it and do a little as you go. That's how I did mine. When I bought my coupe 2 years ago it had no speakers in it, the weatherstripping was shot. The door lock actuators were shot, the power mirrors didn't work and my drivers seat had the lean to it. since then Ive.

took the carpet out and cleaned the floor and pressure washed the carpet before install.

New door weather stripping and window run channels

polished window guide bars and new bar bushings

new door backing boards

repainted the mirros and door trim

new lock actuators

rewired the mirrors

all new 6 speakers and head unit.

sound insulation on the floor and doors and trunk (headliner next)

new x pipe and mufflers.

The only time during all of this I couldn't drive my car was when the stock fan clutch went out and it would get hot. I did an electric fan swap and shes my semi daily. I have no issues getting in the car and taking it on 2.5 hour one way trips.
This is pretty much my intent. I am heavily into my first car project the daddywagon. So I won't get to this for a while anyway. It looks like the lx restoration is going to require bodywork and would be a learning experience for me. I am an automotive/diesel tech by trade so I'm not afraid to mess up a vehicle completely! Haha! The mustang has inspired me to finish the daddywagon this year. Hopefully!
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/new-guy-here-with-foxwagon-project.911674/

crazycarlo

Established Member
Yeah. I had a 98 cobra before this and it got to the point where it was non running for 2 years and it drove me crazy. I don't ever want another project like that. Both of your projects sound cool. Some parts of the fox may be hard or impossible to find new. There are tons of info out there on places like corral and stang net and YouTube. I'm gonna rebuild my power steering pump soon to hopefully get it stop. Whining.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I still own the first fox I ever bought , 20 years ago.
I have had dozens more , but kept the 84 T top Gt .
I always do a restomod , as I really hate the way these cars performed and handled when stock , not to mention the darn 4 lug wheel selection sucks as bad as the brakes of the time .

nelzsvt

Established Member
I still own the first fox I ever bought , 20 years ago.
I have had dozens more , but kept the 84 T top Gt .
I always do a restomod , as I really hate the way these cars performed and handled when stock , not to mention the darn 4 lug wheel selection sucks as bad as the brakes of the time .
I completely understand but I think a few should remain stock. I'd like my lx to be one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread