Orders to Hawaii...will I hate my car there??

phfelts

Established Member
So I'm in the AF and I'm fortunate enough to get order to Hawaii; assuming the government shut down doesn't last too long. Currently I'm driving a 2014 GT 6-speed, and I'm curious that if traffic is as bad as I've heard it is, will I be able to enjoy my car out there?

Being in AZ, I love my car because there are tracks all over and car meets every week. I'm worried that in Hawaii I might not be able to enjoy it nearly as much. I'm also a huge jeep fan. I traded a 2012 JK Unlimited to get the mustang, and I've thought about trading back to the 4x4 world and hitting up some of those trails out there.

I know most of you guys are gonna pick cars over a jeep, but I'm just curious to hear any opinions from those of you who have been stationed out there before. Take care everyone!

OU812

Established Member
I spent a good amount of time at Hickam and I'll say the traffic there does suck balls! The roads aren't really all that great and they get slick as crap when it rains. If it were me getting stationed there I would get another jeep, I think you would probably enjoy that there more than the mustang.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Buddy that is there sold his mustang and has a worked over jeep.

Lots more offroading to be had.

Marc

Established Member
I had my 04 Cobra over there and it was a lot of fun. There is a mustang group over there where your going. I think it is: hawaiiperformancemustangs.com They have all the info you need on car get togethers, etc...

Their track closed years ago, don't know if they have anything else opening up soon.

Traffic sucks balls around the base on H1/H2 highways. Now there is a couple spots you can head out to "Mexico" on the island and open it up. :) Not that I ever did that... :)

stangliter04

Established Member
So I'm in the AF and I'm fortunate enough to get order to Hawaii; assuming the government shut down doesn't last too long. Currently I'm driving a 2014 GT 6-speed, and I'm curious that if traffic is as bad as I've heard it is, will I be able to enjoy my car out there?

Being in AZ, I love my car because there are tracks all over and car meets every week. I'm worried that in Hawaii I might not be able to enjoy it nearly as much. I'm also a huge jeep fan. I traded a 2012 JK Unlimited to get the mustang, and I've thought about trading back to the 4x4 world and hitting up some of those trails out there.

I know most of you guys are gonna pick cars over a jeep, but I'm just curious to hear any opinions from those of you who have been stationed out there before. Take care everyone!

I'm living in Hawaii now and sold my Cobra before relocating. Traffic sucks and theres no track.

phfelts

Established Member
I love jeeps, but being in AZ, I couldn't stay away from the car scene. In a perfect world I could have both. I've thought about just getting an older YJ or something when I got there, but I don't want to have my GT just sitting there taking up space. I may put a feeler ad out there and see what kind of offers I can get on the GT and then decide what I wanna do. Thanks everyone!

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
sold my TJ wrangler to a good friend before he PCS's there. According to him all you need is a jeep and a motorcycle

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
Cars out there are a double edged sword. There are plenty of ways to enjoy them but just as many ways to get caught. Police out there don't typically have marked cars and you can accidentally come up on them quickly without knowing. The roads are great though and the car scene was great when I was there (05-08). The excessive speeding laws really killed the street racing scene out there.

286rocks

Established Member
I currently live in Kaneohe and can say that having a sports car out here really isn't worth it. I left my Cobra in AZ for the few years that I'm stationed here and I'm glad I did!
The traffic on the H1/H2 is awful especially around Pearl Harbor, Hickam, and Honolulu. The roads generally suck, I live on the west side and feel bad for my KIA's suspension while driving along the coast roads.

A jeep on the other hand is awesome! I flip cars on the side and had a Grand Cherokee for a little bit. I had a ton of fun with it on the north shore.

If you have a place to store your car during your deployment I recommend it.

Just get a cheap 4x4 beater while you're here. They are plentiful!

phfelts

Established Member
I just found out that I'm going to be there for four years, so I'm looking at jeeps again. I'm going to go check out an older LJ Rubicon, but the biggest factor will be what I could get for my car. If it's too big of a hit, considering I bought it new 9 months ago, then I'll just buy an old XJ or something to beat around in.

VENMS04

Established Member
Man I guess a lot has chaanged since I was stationed there 98-2001 at Wheeler ARMY Airfield, when i got there i purchased a 98 GT brand new. The Car scene was awsome then. There was a track friday's and Saturday' was test and tune night, when did the track close down?

tjys

Established Member
I'm still in Hawaii but living in Ewa Beach. Loads of Mustangs running around here but not a lot of GT500s. I have seen 2 SuperSnakes around Schofield though. I have an '11 GT500 convertible and my wife has an '11 Shelby GTS convertible. Both cars get lots of looks and comments. I paid to have both cars shipped here but if I had to do it all over again I would have left them in storage on the mainland. Roads are rough, packed 90% of the time, and lots of locals willing to ruin your car because they cannot afford one of their own.

Both Shelby's are DDs and picking up all kinds of dings to include very badly pitted windshields. Though we park in the south 40 at stores invariably someone parks their 1991 rusted Honda right next to the cars. Semi's drive in the left lanes of a 5 lane highway and they use the Hawaii load plans for carrying stuff (very little is tied down or covered though it's the state law). Gravel off of the dump trucks in the left lanes have broken the windshield on the 500 once and pitted the replacement and my wife's windshield.

I'm not doing any upgrading to the cars until we leave the USs third world state for a more civil destination in the mainland.

phfelts

Established Member
Well my car will be here in a few weeks, so I guess we'll see how I like it. The roads in Tucson sucked too, so hopefully that won't seem like anything new. I do like car meets/shows, so if I can find where the locals like to get together then I should be fine!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Ewa Beach …. man I have heard that place has changed a ton since I was there. I used to live at the end of paved part of Papipi Rd and went to jr. high school at james campbell at the other end. w blocks off the seawall about a half mile to the beach. I have heard now it is all built up and papipi is now a 4 lane

I'm still in Hawaii but living in Ewa Beach. Loads of Mustangs running around here but not a lot of GT500s. I have seen 2 SuperSnakes around Schofield though. I have an '11 GT500 convertible and my wife has an '11 Shelby GTS convertible. Both cars get lots of looks and comments. I paid to have both cars shipped here but if I had to do it all over again I would have left them in storage on the mainland. Roads are rough, packed 90% of the time, and lots of locals willing to ruin your car because they cannot afford one of their own.

Both Shelby's are DDs and picking up all kinds of dings to include very badly pitted windshields. Though we park in the south 40 at stores invariably someone parks their 1991 rusted Honda right next to the cars. Semi's drive in the left lanes of a 5 lane highway and they use the Hawaii load plans for carrying stuff (very little is tied down or covered though it's the state law). Gravel off of the dump trucks in the left lanes have broken the windshield on the 500 once and pitted the replacement and my wife's windshield.

I'm not doing any upgrading to the cars until we leave the USs third world state for a more civil destination in the mainland.

Branhammer

Established Member
I've got a crew chief friend that had a blown C-5 vette when he was at Moody AFB. PCS'd to Hickam and sold it before he left. Now he has a blown 2007 Cherokee SRT-8. One of the coolest rides I've been in. He still has a lot of fun in it. It's making about 550awhp. So if you want to have a fast car there you can....although you may not be popular with the locals if you drive fast a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread