Ordering custom Forgestar wheels -- is this the right offset?

KBBoss302

Established Member
Scroll down to Neema's post #470 - he was running 285/35/20 F and 315/30/20 R R888s. Those tires are less than 1" taller than OE Boss sizes. I agree with people about running shorter tires - the Boss gearing is already short enough. Plus, shorter tires aren't going to be your friend on a street driven car unless you run a tall ride height (which looks goofy with the short tires).

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...hread&p=12576105&highlight=neema#post12576105

Swies

Established Member
I am running the same offset front and rear, but CF14s, they are 20s but they fit really nice. 315 on the rear fit real close to the edge of the fender, but they do fit. Font is a 265 tire.

guarnibl

Established Member
Niether trans is comparable gear ratio-wise to the M82... afterall the m82 is 1to1 in 5th. Its much closer ratios. I believe the magnum comes in a close ratio version, but its still not as close as the m82. As far as doing 62 in 1st... that is about what second does in the m82 with stock rear... from a dead stop I dont think there is enough off idle grunt for that to be used as a regular 1st ratio imo... but you can play with ratios via the rear ratio.

It is when you put down more torque than the GT500 makes stock :) I need something else... but I just can't come to grips with spending $1000 on a new clutch setup with the MT82....I just want something that'll handle the 800 rwhp I plan on throwing at it, but also have tall enough lower gears to help aid in traction. Magnum solves one of those issues, but not the 2nd part. However, I don't think the TR6060 is an easy swap, from what I've heard anyway.

Edit: http://www.jpcracing.com/tremec-mag...-includes-driveshaft-clutch-flywheel-options/

Looks like the above will do it (and match the gearing in the 2013 GT500), but I'm going to be at $5250 with everything including shipping (figuring $250 for freight). I wonder what I can sell the stock MT82 for... haha.

Scroll down to Neema's post #470 - he was running 285/35/20 F and 315/30/20 R R888s. Those tires are less than 1" taller than OE Boss sizes. I agree with people about running shorter tires - the Boss gearing is already short enough. Plus, shorter tires aren't going to be your friend on a street driven car unless you run a tall ride height (which looks goofy with the short tires).

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...hread&p=12576105&highlight=neema#post12576105

Can you elaborate on the short tires not being my friend on a street driven vehicle? My understanding is I'll run out of gear quicker, but that can be solved by running a different gear ratio, such as 3.27 vs the stock 3.73's, or rather just replace the entire transmission and switching to a TR6060 w/ 3.55's (i.e., same as GT500). I'm also going to be running the Ford P springs (1/2" drop front, 1.5" drop rear).

Last edited:

KBBoss302

Established Member
Short tires=lower ride height. P springs aren't too low so it shouldn't be much of a problem (I used to have them before I went with KW coilovers). If you are going to change the rear end ratio, then the short gearing issue is moot. 2013/14 GT500s come with a 3.31 ratio, by the way.

I went through a whole big wheel/tire question myself a couple of months ago and realized that the sticky tire options for 19s are very small. I hate the idea of 'dubs' but 20s make more sense because there are some excellent tires available (R888, NT01, etc), especially for your car making big hp.

guarnibl

Established Member
Short tires=lower ride height. P springs aren't too low so it shouldn't be much of a problem (I used to have them before I went with KW coilovers). If you are going to change the rear end ratio, then the short gearing issue is moot. 2013/14 GT500s come with a 3.31 ratio, by the way.

I went through a whole big wheel/tire question myself a couple of months ago and realized that the sticky tire options for 19s are very small. I hate the idea of 'dubs' but 20s make more sense because there are some excellent tires available (R888, NT01, etc), especially for your car making big hp.

Ah, you're right! 3.31, even better then.

20's are def. much better for stickier tires if you're looking for NT01s. In my case I was able to find what I was looking for in the R888 for 19's. Going to run 19x10 up front on 295's and 19x11 out back on 325's.

I think I would have gone for 20's if I could have stayed with Michelin Super Sports or something similar, or had to have the NT01's. 18's were an option but it severely limits me on street tire sizes.

Last edited:

KBBoss302

Established Member
That sounds like a great plan! I almost bought from Paul but chickened out (cheaped out, really!) and went with 19x10 Boss 302S wheels with RE-11s in 285/35/19 at all 4 corners. Paul was super helpful in the emails I had with him. A buddy has the R888s on his Viper and LOVEs them.

guarnibl

Established Member
That sounds like a great plan! I almost bought from Paul but chickened out (cheaped out, really!) and went with 19x10 Boss 302S wheels with RE-11s in 285/35/19 at all 4 corners. Paul was super helpful in the emails I had with him. A buddy has the R888s on his Viper and LOVEs them.

Paul was overly helpful.. I probably called him 15 times... but he was always super nice/friendly/helpful about getting me what I needed. I'm extremely satisfied thus far -- had actually ordered 6 wheels until I realized that the 19x12 wouldn't fit w/o a wide body, and that I couldn't run 315's up front without an SLA kit.. which I don't really want to spend that kind of cash on this car.

Super pumped about the R888's -- heard such great things. Only negatives I heard were 1) they're loud, and 2) they don't last long. However, I only put about ~150 miles a month on the car, so if I only get a couple thousand miles out of them, that's still at least a year for me. And for them being loud, I can guarantee my exhaust is louder.

Ended up ordering the following parts for the car today:

1) FRPP Extreme Duty Radiator

2) VMP Tuning Triple Core Heat Exchanger w/ Fans

3) FRPP 2013 GT500 Fan Kit

4) Upper/Lower Grille for the GT500.

5) GT500 Front Bumper

Hopefully this will take care of my cooling issues :) Not sure how the bumper will fit.. should fit, but I really wanted that lower grille open (Boss is honeycombed) to allow more airflow into the car. If it doesn't end up necessary I'll just return it unused... but I have a feeling it'll help a lot.

Last edited:

guarnibl

Established Member
Two months later -- everything is now onto the car minus the bumpsteer kit. Adjustable panhard bar/boss T springs (Ford Racing M-5300-T). FWIW, the T springs set the camber into the negatives, for those curious. It got better with the new wheels/tires.

I was a bit upset that the upper Cobra upper grille came with the emblem... as I don't really feel great about putting a Cobra badge on a Boss -- so that's temporary. We'll black it out and if it still is noticeable, we'll either cut it out or get a new grille made without the badge.

The airflow, however, is worth it. With all of the cooling modifications done the car runs vastly cooler, even in the 114 degree weather. The car doesn't feel like it's heat soaking to me anymore. I'm sure it is slightly, but I'll have to check data logs once I get a chance to get it back to the tuner.

Wheel / Tire setup :

Front: Forgestar CF5 19x10 Deep Concave +38mm. Toyo Proxes 1 - 295/30ZR19
Rear: Forgestar CF5 19x11 Deep Concave +53mm. Toyo Proxes R888 - 325/30ZR19

Still needs aligned/bumpsteer installed, but there's no rubbing at all on the Ford Boss 302 Upgrade Springs (T springs front, I believe K rear is what that kit includes). When we get it on the alignment rack I suppose there's still a possibility when we are adjusting things that we'll notice some rubbing -- but driving it for 45 minutes resulted in no issues whatsoever even at full lock-to-lock.

Haven't had time to get on it yet / drive it hard -- so I'll update once I do that. Will likely add the Cortex racing torque arm next as well.

qUhmfTo.jpg

Last edited:

Boss949

Established Member
Guarnibl, great job. I'm just getting ready to order the same wheels. Was going with 19x9 front and 19x11 rear deep con. I thought I couldn't go bigger than 285 on rear. I like your set up much better. I have Hotchkis sport springs LCA and Whiteline Relo's. looks like you've got no problems with the set up?
Thanks
Steve

Last edited:

Boss949

Established Member
Guarnibl, I'm ordering the same CF5's as yours tomorrow. Any new driving or feedback? Thanks, Steve

Upadate Ordered the CF5 19x10 and 19x11 today!!!

Last edited:

LanSea

I also ordered some Forgestar CF5s in 19x9 and 20x11. Paul at Howey says I can't run the 315/35-20 Michelin Pilot SS in the rear because the 10mm rim protector bead will rub. I am confused looking at options. My goal is to put as much tread on the ground as possible. Looking at the specs chart on Tirerack's website http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...dewall=Blackwall&partnum=03YR0PSSXL&tab=Specs I see the below
Size-----------------------------------------Meas. Rim Width------------Sect. Width---------------Tread Width
315/35ZR20 (110Y) XL K1 Ferrari -------------11"--------------------------12.6"---------------------11.5"
295/35ZR20 (105Y) XL K1 Ferrari-------------10.5"-------------------------11.9"---------------------12"

Does this make sense that a 295 tread width can be wider than a 315?

Last edited:

Boss949

Established Member
I checked with OP and he's running the same size. Also one of my friends is GM @ Discount. He researched and said I would be fine. And if not, we will go to 305 or 315 on the rear

LanSea

I also ordered some Forgestar CF5s in 19x9 and 20x11. Paul at Howey says I can't run the 315/35-20 Michelin Pilot SS in the rear because the 10mm rim protector bead will rub. I am confused looking at options. My goal is to put as much tread on the ground as possible. Looking at the specs chart on Tirerack's website http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...dewall=Blackwall&partnum=03YR0PSSXL&tab=Specs I see the below
Size-----------------------------------------Meas. Rim Width------------Sect. Width---------------Tread Width
315/35ZR20 (110Y) XL K1 Ferrari -------------11"--------------------------12.6"---------------------11.5"
295/35ZR20 (105Y) XL K1 Ferrari-------------10.5"-------------------------11.9"---------------------12"

Does this make sense that a 295 tread width can be wider than a 315?

I emailed Paul my above question and he replied "Exactly. This specific tire has been a nightmare for us because it is very difficult to explain the sizing issues with it. If you go with a 295, you will get maximum tread width without the contact issues of the 315. Again, this only applies to the MPSS and other 315's have not been an issue."

Users who are viewing this thread