Ordered a 2021 GT 500 a month ago, am I being scammed by this dealer?

MMalik85

Established Member
Hi all, new here. I'm from michigan. After calling like 200+ dealers I found a dealer in Colorado that said they had an allocation for a 2021, and they were willing to sell at MSRP but with some additional BS packages like dent protection, etc etc for 4k. Essentially I just think of it as a 4000 mark up which is pretty good to me. This is for a base car.

Long story short the sales person was very responsive a month ago immediately replying to my texts. Once I gave the $5000 via credit card, I didn't hear much back after. I didn't get a VIN number because they said ford doesn't mass pull orders. I asked for a confirmation number or a DORA, and he said he will check with his rep. The issue is, the response is almost non existent now...in the past 2 weeks even though I try to get a hold of him daily I got 2 small texts back and both of which were along the lines of "i'll look into this" or "I'll call the for rep today and get back to you". Only to never hear from him again.

So what can I do here? If this truly is a GT500 order that I'll get January - March as they said initially for only 4k over, I'm happy with that and don't want to lose that. If everything was just total BS, then I just lost 5k?

Another issue is 21 vs 22, the dealer stated their allocation is for a 21 which I'll get first quarter next year. But I'm also hearing from facebook groups that 21s are not being made anymore. So it's all conflicting info.

Honestly I've never had this many issues, first time I'm buying a Ford. I usually get BMW M or AMG. Such a simple buying process vs this.

BlackStang00

Established Member
It sounds like one of those things if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. I can’t speak the specifics on it because I don’t know. But you have the guys info, send him a text or voicemail threatening legal action if you don’t get confirmation like in the next day. Call someone else at the dealer and ask or dispute the charge with the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99BOSS

Established Member
I went through something similar a while back but the dealer never asked for a deposit. Its always good to find out if the deposit is refundable too. Most dealers will do this in case of a life changing event. I also was told at the time that 21 production would go until late December so you may still be good there unless Ford has changed things. Looks like you live quite a bit away from this dealer. Personally, I would get a manager on the phone instead of a salesman and try to get some solid answers from him. Hope it all works out for you.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you escalated at the dealership?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't be shy about calling the Sales Manager. Be nice, and simply tell him that you have asked for an order update however many times and you're not getting an informative reply. That isn't going to/shouldn't upset the salesperson.

As far as the $4K dent protection charge, that is something the dealer usually pushes when you close the deal upon delivery of the vehicle. Most dealers try to sell you on paint sealer, dent repair, wheel protection, and seat protection extended warranty services. They're aren't cheap! These are all OPTIONAL extended warranty services, as long as they're stated in writing in the contract as being extended warranty services. If they are, they are all refundable unless otherwise stated (which I've never heard of). If you don't want those services (if they are indeed extended warranty services), once you take delivery you can request a refund through the dealership. You should then get a full refund minus any nominal cancellation fee. I did this very thing on my old 2019 Genesis G-70. I got talked into it at the closing and then a month later woke up to the fact that based on the way I drive that I'd never use the services. I also did this on my wife's 2019 Hyundai Kona just last month. She is getting most of what she paid, back. The dealer is processing the refund as I speak. When I bought my 2022 Genesis GV-70, I told the finance guy at the closing that I didn't want any extra warranty services. He offered them, explained them, and when I said "no thanks", we moved on.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't be shy about calling the Sales Manager. Be nice, and simply tell him that you have asked for an order update however many times and you're not getting an informative reply. That isn't going to/shouldn't upset the salesperson.

As far as the $4K dent protection charge, that is something the dealer usually pushes when you close the deal upon delivery of the vehicle. Most dealers try to sell you on paint sealer, dent repair, wheel protection, and seat protection extended warranty services. They're aren't cheap! These are all OPTIONAL extended warranty services, as long as they're stated in writing in the contract as being extended warranty services. If they are, they are all refundable unless otherwise stated (which I've never heard of). If you don't want those services (if they are indeed extended warranty services), once you take delivery you can request a refund through the dealership. You should then get a full refund minus any nominal cancellation fee. I did this very thing on my old 2019 Genesis G-70. I got talked into it at the closing and then a month later woke up to the fact that based on the way I drive that I'd never use the services. I also did this on my wife's 2019 Hyundai Kona just last month. She is getting most of what she paid, back. The dealer is processing the refund as I speak. When I bought my 2022 Genesis GV-70, I told the finance guy at the closing that I didn't want any extra warranty services. He offered them, explained them, and when I said "no thanks", we moved on.
Everything he mentioned are hard adds, meaning they can't be canceled.

Sent from my Potato

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Extended warranty services are "hard adds"? I've never heard of that. Are they different from the add-ons done at the closing? :unsure:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Extended warranty services are "hard adds"? I've never heard of that. Are they different from the add-ons done at the closing? :unsure:

Extended service agreements, GAP Insurance and maintenance plans are all cancellable.

The dent, ding repair, tire & wheel, paint protection, etc etc etc are all hard adds and are not cancellable.

Consider them like paying $300 for nitrogen in your tires. You can't cancel that once the contract is finalized.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
OK, so now I see what they're doing after talking to my Genesis dealer. That is really a value-added ADM upcharge where the customer is paying a modest ADM charge but they're getting a "dent protection" package included. That about it, Nick?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Extended service agreements, GAP Insurance and maintenance plans are all cancellable.

The dent, ding repair, tire & wheel, paint protection, etc etc etc are all hard adds and are not cancellable.

Consider them like paying $300 for nitrogen in your tires. You can't cancel that once the contract is finalized.
Hmmm. That isn't really true, Nick, at least not with Hyundai/Genesis. I know for a fact that the dent protection, wheel protection packages that my wife bought in 2019 for her Kona were just refunded. Also, a dent removal and wheel protection package is different from paint protection (sealer). A service would have been rendered on delivery that, of course, wouldn't be refundable. But a maintenance service should be since no service was yet provided. That's why the package vendors charge a fee if you cancel. So does it work differently with Ford?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
OK, so now I see what they're doing after talking to my Genesis dealer. That is really a value-added ADM upcharge where the customer is paying a modest ADM charge but they're getting a "dent protection" package included. That about it, Nick?

Yes, pretty much sums it up.

Hmmm. That isn't really true, Nick, at least not with Hyundai/Genesis. I know for a fact that the dent protection, wheel protection packages that my wife bought in 2019 for her Kona were just refunded. Also, a dent removal and wheel protection package is different from paint protection (sealer). A service would have been rendered on delivery that, of course, wouldn't be refundable. But a maintenance service should be since no service was yet provided. That's why the package vendors charge a fee if you cancel. So does it work differently with Ford?

It all depends on how it's contracted. The hard adds I mentioned can, and 99 times out of 100, are added to the sales price of the vehicle on the contract. It's called "Line 3" in the auto retail industry. Anything on Line 3, is a hard number and cannot be cancelled.

If it's broken out on the contract, different states and lenders probably have different laws, and put into Line 5, it is cancellable.

MMalik85

Established Member
Which dealer?

Sent from my Potato

Which dealer?

Sent from my Potato

If you can direct message on this forum I can tell you there. Trying to avoid publicly posting and complaining about them, because if they are legit then its a great thing I got set up…

This sheet is the only thing I got from the dealer. Do you know if this means they had an allocation and I’m all set?

Attachments

• CBE2BCE2-ECB1-471B-B481-BD9950EEB3FB.jpeg
    CBE2BCE2-ECB1-471B-B481-BD9950EEB3FB.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 102

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you can direct message on this forum I can tell you there. Trying to avoid publicly posting and complaining about them, because if they are legit then its a great thing I got set up…

This sheet is the only thing I got from the dealer. Do you know if this means they had an allocation and I’m all set?

Doesn't mean they have an allocation, just means they put the order in WBDO.

It doesn't really matter who it is.

MMalik85

Established Member
Doesn't mean they have an allocation, just means they put the order in WBDO.

It doesn't really matter who it is.
What’s a definitive way to know that they had an allocation; when I get the sales manager on phone what should I ask him

MMalik85

Established Member
UPDATE: spoke to sales manager. Supposedly they had an allocation but Ford took it back due to issues at the plant. Sounds fishy… they still have my $5000, which he said they will refund. Let’s see.

So does anyone have a 22 GT500 allocation?? Willing to pay up to 4K over sticker.

Users who are viewing this thread