Ordered a 2021 GT 500 a month ago, am I being scammed by this dealer?

99BOSS

Established Member
They showed you a order summary. Thats the same thing my local dealer sent me after he said they could order another 21 for me. The following week, there was the gas leak at the plant and the Ford rep told this dealer that they wouldnt pick up this order due to having enough orders to build out the 21 model year along with shortened production time. So what this manager told you is probably legit. In good faith, you'll get your money back too. So now you get to start over by finding another dealer to order a 22 from. I got lucky and found another dealer that had what I wanted sitting in their showroom.

germansheperd

2022 GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack
Established Member
Hi all, new here. I'm from michigan. After calling like 200+ dealers I found a dealer in Colorado that said they had an allocation for a 2021, and they were willing to sell at MSRP but with some additional BS packages like dent protection, etc etc for 4k. Essentially I just think of it as a 4000 mark up which is pretty good to me. This is for a base car.

Long story short the sales person was very responsive a month ago immediately replying to my texts. Once I gave the $5000 via credit card, I didn't hear much back after. I didn't get a VIN number because they said ford doesn't mass pull orders. I asked for a confirmation number or a DORA, and he said he will check with his rep. The issue is, the response is almost non existent now...in the past 2 weeks even though I try to get a hold of him daily I got 2 small texts back and both of which were along the lines of "i'll look into this" or "I'll call the for rep today and get back to you". Only to never hear from him again.

So what can I do here? If this truly is a GT500 order that I'll get January - March as they said initially for only 4k over, I'm happy with that and don't want to lose that. If everything was just total BS, then I just lost 5k?

Another issue is 21 vs 22, the dealer stated their allocation is for a 21 which I'll get first quarter next year. But I'm also hearing from facebook groups that 21s are not being made anymore. So it's all conflicting info.

Honestly I've never had this many issues, first time I'm buying a Ford. I usually get BMW M or AMG. Such a simple buying process vs this.
It’s really not that hard to grasp. You want to buy a very limited run car that’s highly desirable in the middle of a pandemic.
As for saying it is not simple buying process it is YOU making it hard on your self. There are over a hundred 2021 GT500’s for sale right now on Autotrader. The biggest issue is you don’t want to pay for one. You can have a GT500 in ONE DAY Just write the check.
I did 20 years in the car business I used to love customers (and I treated them professionally) who were used to getting what they want telling them no or they can’t have that. They just went sideways lol.
You are in the middle of a pandemic, parts shortage, chip shortage, plant closures you either pay up, wait, or take what you can get.
As far as a BMW M or AMG they are great cars but they are NOT a GT500………. But you know that.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
It’s really not that hard to grasp. You want to buy a very limited run car that’s highly desirable in the middle of a pandemic.
As for saying it is not simple buying process it is YOU making it hard on your self. There are over a hundred 2021 GT500’s for sale right now on Autotrader. The biggest issue is you don’t want to pay for one. You can have a GT500 in ONE DAY Just write the check.
I did 20 years in the car business I used to love customers (and I treated them professionally) who were used to getting what they want telling them no or they can’t have that. They just went sideways lol.
You are in the middle of a pandemic, parts shortage, chip shortage, plant closures you either pay up, wait, or take what you can get.
As far as a BMW M or AMG they are great cars but they are NOT a GT500………. But you know that.
Hell I am having the same problem buying a 3 row midsize suv... I know what I want, so I have to wait...

germansheperd

2022 GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack
Established Member
I had to wait 11 weeks for my 2021 F150 order. Whenever the 2022 Shelby order banks open I probably wont see the car for 4-6 months. What are you going to do?
It is what it is now.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Hell I am having the same problem buying a 3 row midsize suv... I know what I want, so I have to wait...
I just ordered a Hellcat Durango last month. I'm hoping there are no more shutdowns and it actually gets built before the year closes out

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
You’re not being scammed. They thought they’d get an extra allocation and couldn’t because of the well- publicized gasoline leak at Flat Rock. That impacted another poster on here who subsequently bought another vehicle he was wise enough to have scouted. You will probably pay 5K over at least on one of these. If you find one at sticker on a dealer lot snatch it up.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I can see the dealership being mum because they honestly didn’t know if the cars were going to get built.

I placed an order for two Peterbilts for my company three months ago and just found out last week the orders were cancelled because Peterbilt isn’t manufacturing anything until February. It’s happening everywhere around the country.

Users who are viewing this thread