Optima Battery guys

Sethsual

Established Member
When my alternator ate the dust, it took my VMaxx battery with it. In lieu of another Vmaxx, I opted for an Optima Red Top this time around. Installing it required a little "modification" to the battery tray, but overall was no big deal. After going to the track a few weeks ago, the guy in Tech told me that he'd let me get by with a bungee cord, but that it'd be the last time. I feel kind of ashamed to be using it, but the car didn't come with any way of securing the battery.

So my question is this: What kind of battery tie-down method did you employ to use in concert with an Optima battery?

Mystic03

Established Member
I used the stock hold down I just wedged one of my old bit holders in the back of the tray

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
I have a Blue Top Optima that came in the car when I bought it.

It looks like its using the stock set up to secure it. I'll have to take some photos when I get chance.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I seem to remember my Optima coming with a couple of different style hold downs to replace the stock one

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
I have a Blue Top Optima that came in the car when I bought it.

It looks like its using the stock set up to secure it. I'll have to take some photos when I get chance.

There is a small black block that wedges down to hold the battery in place.

4c19395d-27e9-495d-af98-c20f67fe0d29_zpsdf12551c.jpg

Last edited:

Sethsual

Established Member
You took the time to take a picture AND circle the block in question. How awfully generous of you. ;)

As it turns out, I still have the stuff that came with my battery, including this handy little block. Anyone have any idea of the proper size bolt to use with it, which I could pick up at a local hardware store?

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
When you buy them new they come with different adapters. I used the one that came with the battery (fits the semi-circular side) and the factory bolt.

Sethsual

Established Member
I do not have the factory bolt, and I just spent the better part of today trying to find one that would work. I parked the car in front of Ace and made several trips, but none of the candidates would work. Not 1/4-20, 1/4-28, 10-24, 10-32. I even tried metric, an M6. The 1/4-20 and M6 would start, but bind up about two threads in.

Anyone know the size of the proper bolt?
My luck, the threads are damaged.

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
I had the same issue when I bought the Ford GT optima battery for my Cobra.. Just call up optima and tell them you need a hold down wedge. They sent me one for free with a bolt.

Users who are viewing this thread