Opinions: Was the C6Z the pinnacle of the Corvette nameplate?

EB85

Established Member
I was out to lunch today and saw a bright yellow C5Z going through a drive through. I thought to myself that something like that would be my #2 choice behind a C6Z. While the C7 is no doubt a bad ride and the look is unreal, I don't think I'd pick one over a 6. I think that the amount of N/A power they make combined with the suspension and brakes it is the best one to ever hit the road. The powerband seems to be a lot more street and user friendly, too, compared to the ZR1 from what I read here and there.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I don't see the fascination with corvettes. No doubt they are great to drive, but I think they look so bland. I don't look twice when I drive by one.

Blackoyote

Established Member
I'm also a bigger fan of the C6Z in comparison to the C7Z, however as pointed out above the ZR1 would be the choice over them all.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Hard to say really. Its hard nowadays to be that much better. The C5 was a huge improvement over C4, the C6 was huge over the C5, but the C7 isnt that big over the C6. They can produce more power but the chassis is limited to what it can handle.

I love the looks of the C5Z's the most, especially Red with the black side brake ducts and chrome wheels, such a timeless look to me. But the interior sucks chode. C6Zs are my favorite power combo, naturally aspirated 500hp from a torque monster 7.0L motor, but C6 looks are more subdued to me than the C5's. C7Z obviously best power but the SC combo overheats and is prone to heatsoak, and while looking badass its looks are also very exaggerated, but it has the best interior of them all.

EB85

Established Member
I don't see the fascination with corvettes. No doubt they are great to drive, but I think they look so bland. I don't look twice when I drive by one.
I never said it would be my first choice given X-amount of dollars to buy a car but if I chose to go Corvette it would be a C6Z.
I'm also a bigger fan of the C6Z in comparison to the C7Z, however as pointed out above the ZR1 would be the choice over them all.
The ZR1 just doesn't do anything for me. It seems like it would be too much given the chassis. The same power level seems more user friendly on the C7.
Hard to say really. Its hard nowadays to be that much better. The C5 was a huge improvement over C4, the C6 was huge over the C5, but the C7 isnt that big over the C6. They can produce more power but the chassis is limited to what it can handle.

I love the looks of the C5Z's the most, especially Red with the black side brake ducts and chrome wheels, such a timeless look to me. But the interior sucks chode. C6Zs are my favorite power combo, naturally aspirated 500hp from a torque monster 7.0L motor, but C6 looks are more subdued to me than the C5's. C7Z obviously best power but the SC combo overheats and is prone to heatsoak, and while looking badass its looks are also very exaggerated, but it has the best interior of them all.
All of the above is what took me to my opinion. You can see big jumps between the C4 and C5 and then the C6 was bonkers over the C5. I can remember being in school and the rumors drove all over the car kids crazy when we heard 505 N/A HP, 427 cubic inches, dry sump, so on.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
C6Z for me as well, it has the looks, big NA power etc... I just have not warmed up to the looks of the C7 in general and the rash of issues regarding the C7Z are a turn off as well.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Everyone's opinion on this will be different. You can't draw conclusion from opinion.

Looking strictly at the numbers, the C7 is a better car in nearly every aspect that can be measured when compared to the C5 and C6 cars. You can certainly argue some points on the C7Z vs. the C6 ZR1, but you could bend tests to have either take the victory, their that close, but also that different.

Things like styling are subjective and as a result can't really be measured. There are many that prefer the look of the older cars. I have a love for the C6's having owned three, including a Z06, but seeing them now they look soft and bland when compared to the C7.

Nothing I've said here however makes any previous generation Corvette a bad car. The C5 and C6 continue to be great cars at a great value, but in a strictly numbers game, the C7 is the pinnacle

EB85

Established Member
Things like styling are subjective and as a result can't really be measured. There are many that prefer the look of the older cars. I have a love for the C6's having owned three, including a Z06, but seeing them now they look soft and bland when compared to the C7.

I can agree with that. The C7 is such a lean, muscular design where as the C6 is kind of a sharpened up C5. The 7 looks like it should cost 2x what it does and have an Italian nameplate based on looks.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Some will say the C6Z & some will say the C6 ZR1. The ZR1 added some weight over the C6Z, but also added power & aero. It takes a cam & some bolt-ons for a C6Z to get to stock C6 ZR1 power. I'm going to say the C6 ZR1 > C6Z & I own a modded C6Z.

I drove a C7 & C7Z recently & I would sell mine for one today if I had the money. The tech, interior & competition seats alone are worth it IMO. I've seen videos of mildly modded C6Z cars beating C7Z cars without issue. I have yet to have a run in with a C7Z. :(

o2gt

Established Member
I love the c6z. I took on the best of the world in its time and often won. it could do it all. To me it was made more special because it had the 427 in it. seemed like old school displacement with modern handling and breaking. It will always have a special place in my heart i loved watching youtube videos of them crushing what ever lined up next to them. I used to talk with my brother in law for hours about having one and how great they were. I think the car world has changed a lot over the last decade or so. cars are so much faster and handle so much better. I remember reading car and driver one night on the airplane it had an article about the upcoming c6z. I remember being amazed that it would have so much hp and would be so light and to top it all off have a 427 in it.
The zr1 was a brutally fast car that by all reports was great but for me it was the z that was the best. second for me would be the c5z but that might be more that i came out when i was in high school around the time I got my first car and really got into cars.

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
C6 Z06, add supercharger, cam, meth, full exhaust

giphy.gif

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
After 6 years and 40K miles I'm still in love with my Z.

U.M.

IMG_3633_4_5_tonemapped.jpg
Ever heard the song "Seven Bridges Road" sung by the Eagles? Well you're lookin' at the road that inspired the song.

Last edited:

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
They are performers for sure. I considered one for that reason alone, but I just can't drive a Corvette.

Why is the C6 considered better than C7 though, isn't the C7 outperforming the C6, even if not by much...

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I haven't driven anything newer than a C5, but from an appearance standpoint I prefer the C7.

Appearance-wise the pinnacle was the steel bumper C3's imo, though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread