Opinions wanted!

Gradyh

WTB MY21/22 order
Established Member
I currently own a 2013 Mustang GT 6M with a few bolt ons and a 2013 WRX Hatch as my family car.

The part I want an opinion on is that in a 9 months time, my wife and I will be debt free, I plan to keep my WRX as my long term family car no matter what the other options may be.

I want to know what would you do, no matter what I plan on keeping the car for years as a play thing.

Car will not I repeat not be a Daily Driver.

Option #1. Keep my GT and build it as I want, Suspension, Forced Induction, blah blah blah.

Or sell the GT for options 2-4

Option #2. 2011-2012 GT500, maybe a 2013-2014 GT500-and keep it to basic bolt ons.

Option #3. E92 M3- we owned one previously and it was a blast to drive but soooooo expensive to maintain.

Option #4. R35 GTR- also a blast to drive but expensive to maintain.

I welcome opinions and would love to hear others logic behind what you would do.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I would love to do a GTR so that would be my choice, but if you do go option 2 I would stick with 13/14 GT500s. you could faster than an 11/12 doing option 1 and prob be in it for about the same price as if you traded for an 11/12 car.

lovebread

Established Member
GT-R is worlds apart from the GT500 in terms of drivability and speed IMO. Be prepared for major servicing on a 8-10 if you're looking at ones that old. The sweet spot right now is 11+.

Super basic bolt ons and a tune will make the GT-R beastly while you're struggling to find tires to lay down the GT500's power.

Gradyh

WTB MY21/22 order
Established Member
GT-R is worlds apart from the GT500 in terms of drivability and speed IMO. Be prepared for major servicing on a 8-10 if you're looking at ones that old. The sweet spot right now is 11+.

Super basic bolt ons and a tune will make the GT-R beastly while you're struggling to find tires to lay down the GT500's power.

Given your car and mods put into it do you feel it was worth it or would you rather invest time and money in something else?

Last edited:

Rct851

Established Member
2013 gt500

If the 5.0 was a weekend fun car that you planned to go FI then wouldn't you want a built block to turn up the boost? That starts driving price so close to a gt500 that it would be worth it to have the Shelby

Gradyh

WTB MY21/22 order
Established Member
2013 gt500

If the 5.0 was a weekend fun car that you planned to go FI then wouldn't you want a built block to turn up the boost? That starts driving price so close to a gt500 that it would be worth it to have the Shelby

That's my debate between the two. A built block/ beefed up trans and FI would easily push the price up $15k-20k. Putting me right at the other cars on the list especially the GT500s

Posted via Topify on Android

Ill_W1N

Established Member
If you sell the car you're going to lose your ass on it. If your fine with that and want to get yourself back in debt go with one of the other options that has a hefty payment. I could sell my car today and get a gt500 but I spent 2+ years paying this car off and I'd much rather be saving money every month than dumping it into a car payments. If I were you I'd keep your car. Slap a blower on it when your debt is paid off and save money for awhile and enjoy being debt free before jumping right back into it. If you still feel the same in a couple years time then the 2016 svt will be out then so you might wanna go that route instead.

IT-Purrrs

Established Member
If you sell the car you're going to lose your ass on it. If your fine with that and want to get yourself back in debt go with one of the other options that has a hefty payment. I could sell my car today and get a gt500 but I spent 2+ years paying this car off and I'd much rather be saving money every month than dumping it into a car payments. If I were you I'd keep your car. Slap a blower on it when your debt is paid off and save money for awhile and enjoy being debt free before jumping right back into it. If you still feel the same in a couple years time then the 2016 svt will be out then so you might wanna go that route instead.

Smart man! I completely agree with this.

5.0jake

Established Member
Sounds like money isn't issue so I's say trade up! Can't go wrong with the GT500 or GTR. Pass on the M3.
WRX family car nice lol I'm stuck with the Murano.

BLK_5.0

Established Member
Why is this a discussion? If you can swing a GTR, go for it.

What he said lol^

The point some others have made about saving money definitely sounds nice and probably is the smartest thing to do but if I could afford a GTR, the question for me would be which color do I want haha. Looking at the options you listed, looks like you'll be doing pretty well with whichever one you end up choosing :rockon:

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member
I currently own a 2013 Mustang GT 6M with a few bolt ons and a 2013 WRX Hatch as my family car.

in a 9 months time, my wife and I will be debt free.QUOTE]

this is what you need to focus on man. im in the military too, (navy) and i know how it is comming off deployment and all your bills are paid and you have a nice wad of cash leftover from the deployment money, but being debt free is a great feeling, and the last thing i would do after paying off all my debt is jump back in, especially for the pricetag of a gt500 or a GTR. youll have more money being debt free and have more mod money for your 13' GT than a gt500 or gtr. plus the thing is you can say youll buy the gt500 and do mild bolt ons or mild bolt ons to a gtr, but are we every really done modding? you get done with one mod and look to the nest not to long after. my advice? keep the 13, go with a nasty FI build. youll spend less $$ in the long run and you have a great platform for a great performing car.

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member
That's my debate between the two. A built block/ beefed up trans and FI would easily push the price up $15k-20k. Putting me right at the other cars on the list especially the GT500s

i see what your saying but it doesnt make sense if you really think about it.

you already paid lets say 30k for the car, and the car will be paid off. good, and yes for a reliable FI build 15-20k is fair. which would bring TOTAL MONEY INVESTED to 50K. yes, that is the price of a gt500, ball parkish, more like alot higher than 50k for a 14' with no miles but w/e. so you spend 50k and have a 13 5.0 with a nasty FI build and a good car you built.

now option 2, you buy a gt500. youve already bought your 13 5.0 for 30k. you sell it and get back idk lets say a very unlikely but hopefull 25k. now you have to go buy a gt500 for lets say 50k. so now your into a gt500 for 55k+, and you still want to mod it. radials and bolt ons, lets say you spend another 5k. so now your into a gt500, modded how you want it for a MINIMUM of 60K, not including the price per month of your loan, and how much you actually lose on selling your current car, plus taxes and all for the new gt500. so in reality, you may say well for the price of a FI build i can just buy a gt500, but in reality for a MIN of 10k less, you can do the FI build and actually have higer boost and HP numbers than the gt500 and have a build that can take it.

idk call me crazy if i am but its alot of cash for just the name of a gt500 when you can build your own version for far less.

Last edited:

Rct851

Established Member
^^^ all good points.

Only OP knows his financial situation.

All is know is if were trying to find a cheap or cheaper route for anything along these lines let me know as well lol!
I know I burned another $200 on this game today and it was the cheap stuff that nobody will notice

Jabooh1

Established Member
I would sink money into your GT but slowly. Like said above you do one mod and then before the bolts are torqued the next mod is on your mind!

I l Ike doing them slowly so I can feel the difference each time.

ajpturbo

Established Member
Sounds like money isn't issue so I's say trade up! Can't go wrong with the GT500 or GTR. Pass on the M3.
WRX family car nice lol I'm stuck with the Murano.

Money is definitely an issue....He is currently in debt.

I know people hate me on here for saying stuff like I'm about to say but I don't care and these threads are so stupid. We are just reading someone's day dreams. In 9 months you will be debt free lol...In 30 years I will own my house too...You talk about being debt free then talk about buying expensive cars, what a joke. We are so jacked up in this country and our priorities are so out of whack.

And if you do decide to make one of the larger purchases in your life currently the last thing to do is take other people's advice..Make the decision, it's your money.

Why don't you post back in 9 months I want to see if you are still on schedule to be debt free...It's so laughable. I can see you sending out your last payment then heading to the dealer ship to buy a big boy car and starting over again....Cars really are status symbols and really only showoff how much money you can afford to throw away because you never see that money again lol. If you are blowing large portions of your paycheck on a car you will never get ahead, it's so self destructive financially. And I like cars. It's just so ridiculous that you state how you will be debt free in the not so near future then say how the next move is to buy a really expensive car, makes me sick lol

Put the money that you got from my federal withholding for your sign on bonus in the bank and do something constructive with it please

And I never give thanks to vets when I see them until they thank me for all the taxes I provide for them and staying home and going to my job that makes this country work while they are away playing G.I Joe

Last edited:

RUQWKNF

KEEPER OF MANY SECRETS
Established Member
"13-"14 GT500 for sure and keep your GT. You are already familiar with the platform.

Here is what I have been told by one of our local guys who currently owns a GTR with 1350 RWHP.
Up to 750 rwhp can be achieved with bolt ons. After that, you are looking at a $40,000 - $50,000 bill for the next power and reliability upgrades.
A "13-"14 GT500 will be a lot more affordable no matter how you go.

Gradyh

WTB MY21/22 order
Established Member
Money is definitely an issue....He is currently in debt.

I know people hate me on here for saying stuff like I'm about to say but I don't care and these threads are so stupid. We are just reading someone's day dreams. In 9 months you will be debt free lol...In 30 years I will own my house too...You talk about being debt free then talk about buying expensive cars, what a joke. We are so jacked up in this country and our priorities are so out of whack.

And if you do decide to make one of the larger purchases in your life currently the last thing to do is take other people's advice..Make the decision, it's your money.

Why don't you post back in 9 months I want to see if you are still on schedule to be debt free...It's so laughable. I can see you sending out your last payment then heading to the dealer ship to buy a big boy car and starting over again....Cars really are status symbols and really only showoff how much money you can afford to throw away because you never see that money again lol. If you are blowing large portions of your paycheck on a car you will never get ahead, it's so self destructive financially. And I like cars. It's just so ridiculous that you state how you will be debt free in the not so near future then say how the next move is to buy a really expensive car, makes me sick lol

Put the money that you got from my federal withholding for your sign on bonus in the bank and do something constructive with it please

And I never give thanks to vets when I see them until they thank me for all the taxes I provide for them and staying home and going to my job that makes this country work while they are away playing G.I Joe
Awful lot of assumptions here. I see your point and respect your opinion which is why I asked it.

And no I didn't any sign on bonus and not that it would be any of your concern if I did.

Let's please keep this to the topic at hand.

Last edited:

Stanger00

Established Member

Those military people pay federal taxes as well, pal.

Do whatever you want OP. If you can afford any of those options more power to you. I don't remember being able to shoe string a budget to float a car note higher then 500 plus insurance and live comfortably. By comfortably, I mean spending 4-5 nights in a bar, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread