*Opinions Please*Eaton Locker? Eaton TrueTrac? Eaton Posi? Torsen?

HandsomeRob

Established Member
Hey SVTP,
I need some opinions before I place my order. Those of you with rear end experience please chime in. I greatly appreciate any of your expertise.
I just got my differential housing back from paint.

I have 31 Spline Superior Axles
T/A Girdle
ARP Bearing Cap Stud Kit
ARP Ring/Pinion Bolts
FRP 410 Gears

I'm unsure what diff unit to purchase. I currently have an Eaton Posi, but kind of want to upgrade.
My car will be making about 600-650rwhp, and is my weekend fun car. It will probably see the drag-strip 2-3 times in its lifetime. I just want to build this thing right and not look back.
I called Eaton and they said use the TrueTrac. My Rear end shop said keep my Eaton Posi and another shop told me to get a Detroit Locker.
What should I do?

pacific4v

Established Member
I wouldn't get a locker if its a street car. They're clunky and there is no slip unlike a limited slip differential. A limited slip is way better around curves and in parking lots. Leave the lockers to the off road trucks.

HandsomeRob

Established Member
I wouldn't get a locker if its a street car. They're clunky and there is no slip unlike a limited slip differential. A limited slip is way better around curves and in parking lots. Leave the lockers to the off road trucks.

Thanks man! Just ordered a TrueTrac. Everything I have read about them is positive. My Eaton Posi and 373 gears will be in the Market section in about an hour. ;)

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
With only 2-3x's at the track in it's LIFETIME. I would get a Torsen T2R.. This car is going to see more corners than drag racing..

HandsomeRob

Established Member
I had a tough decision to make. It was between the Eaton TrueTrac and Torsen T2R. I read lots of reviews on the TrueTrac. All were positive. All who have them installed loves them. Haven't read too much about the T2R. I think the Torsen is more for Auto X and Road Racing. Either way I should be good.

CamCobra10

Established Member
Blew my eaton twice, its trash in my opinion....put in a wavetrack and never looked back, if I remember correctly it come's with a "no questions lifetime warranty" just have to put in the right rear end fluid

CamCobra10

Established Member
That WaveTrack Diff is like $1000. Too rich for my blood. The TrueTrack will be fine for my application.
Thought you wanted to do it right lol you already spent all that money at fox lake what's a few dollars! Got my 04 cobra heads back from ron looks really good, got a nice build in the works

HandsomeRob

Established Member
A Posi and TrueTrac are good for most. I liked the WaveTrac but wasn't really planning on even swapping my Eaton Posi out. The TrueTrac is perfect for my application. No way I'm breaking that thing on drag radials and maybe a pair of slicks once or twice at the track.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
With only 2-3x's at the track in it's LIFETIME. I would get a Torsen T2R.. This car is going to see more corners than drag racing..

Yup, completely agree. I wish I had done a T2R when I built my rear-end but at the time I was racing the clock to be done for the dyno appointment and a Torsen wasn't in the budget.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I plan on doing some 3.73's at somepoint and getting a T2R for the rear. I'm lucky though my buddy does 8.8's.. So I don't pay shit lol.. I guess I can really do it whenever I want.

Helomech74

Established Member
Blew my eaton twice, its trash in my opinion....put in a wavetrack and never looked back, if I remember correctly it come's with a "no questions lifetime warranty" just have to put in the right rear end fluid

Good man. I have the 33 spline Wavetrac in my street/strip car, truly a work of art and strong as hell.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
98 what do you have back there now diff wise?

95% Sure I have a Eaton Posi unit.. I could be wrong.. I'm going to find out in the next couple of months lol.. My Diff was changed at one point but I don't recall to what.. I don't have reciepts

CamCobra10

Established Member
Good man. I have the 33 spline Wavetrac in my street/strip car, truly a work of art and strong as hell.
When the shop saw it they said it was ashame to keep it hidden in the rear end bc something like that should be shown....people talk about price but after paying for 2 eatons, labor and down time, oh yeah not fun blowing it at the track and having 4 people push the car up the trailor, it adds up...it even feels like a stock piece while driving

Users who are viewing this thread