Opinions on your 2.2 KB or 2.3 Whipple

Tmac01baller

Established Member
Man, a lot of KB guys on the forum at once. You know where I stand. I couldn't be happier with my GEN2 2.3L, well maybe if it were a 2.9L or I've even been considering just going big to 3.4L. You've seen it in person so I don't need to post pics. You should come out to the car show at Kimnach Ford on VA Beach Blvd on Saturday 5/23.

Yep, seeing your whipple is what made me want one so bad, but then i hear the whine of the 2.2 and then I start wanting one of those:shrug: You just need to buy a 3.4L and sell me that whipple:thumbsup:

mach1033

Established Member
That's you're opinion. Don't state it as fact. Personally, appearance for a blower is irrelevant IMO. It's all about performance...and by performance I don't mean dyno numbers.

Yes that is my opinion and I can state it anyway I like. Who the hell are you to tell me what I can and cant say? Personally if I am paying thousands of dollars for a product it damn well better look the part like the way Whipple did. The KB looks like shit period there is nothing special about it in the looks dept. Does it perform yeah. So does a Ford Pinto if you throw a motor in it but I would never buy one. Now this statement is my " PERSONAL OPINION" is that better for you? :loser:

mike1284

mcdougal
Established Member
looks of a blower, really? i have never heard this one before. while im all for the KB just due to the scream, who cares how it looks? its under the hood. why does it look like shit?

mach1033

Established Member
looks of a blower, really? i have never heard this one before. while im all for the KB just due to the scream, who cares how it looks? its under the hood. why does it look like shit?

It looks like a black jewelery box from the 50's and the pullies look like an after thought . And like I said for me personally I like the best of both looks and performance. And yes I know some people dont care about looks as evident when I go to the track and I see 10 sec cars that look like someone spray painted them and threw up all over the engine bay. Also I can't believe that I am the only one that cares about the way this or anyother performance parts looks. Go to the pic gallery and you will see what I am talking about. If under hood looks weren't that important than why do people buy dress up kits like color matched pullies, idlers, powder coating valve cover's and the list go's on. :poke:

Last edited:

mike1284

mcdougal
Established Member
i care about looks, believe me. i try to keep my car as clean as possible, including the engine bay. but whats the difference of the box or rib cage look? is that it? to be honest with you i like the stock look better. not a fan of all the flashy color matchin shit in there. i want a jlt cai painted black, not redfire to match. when i do pullies an all that, i either want em black or sliver to match the rest of the motor. hell, i still have the pulley cover on cause i hate the look of that huge pulley under there. ive just never heard anyone say they want the whipple cause it looks better.

mach1033

Established Member
i care about looks, believe me. i try to keep my car as clean as possible, including the engine bay. but whats the difference of the box or rib cage look? is that it? to be honest with you i like the stock look better. not a fan of all the flashy color matchin shit in there. i want a jlt cai painted black, not redfire to match. when i do pullies an all that, i either want em black or sliver to match the rest of the motor. hell, i still have the pulley cover on cause i hate the look of that huge pulley under there. ive just never heard anyone say they want the whipple cause it looks better.

Now don't misunderstand what I'm saying. If both performance parts performed the same and was the same price then what would be the determining factor on which one to choose? Some say they like the whine. Other's say the looks. If KB really outshined the Whipple then there would be no contest and vice versa on the Whipple. So do you see where I'm coming from? My car right now is getting all sorts of upgrades and I will post up new pics when I get my car back home. Here is a pic on my engine bay before it went in. As you can see the fuel line go's over the snout and looks really ugly.
But at the time that is all they had. I since changed how that looks. I also did the valve cover's and put on Chrome Ford Racing COP cover's.
cobrapics009.gif

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Some people are in here talking like the Whipple's looks are all it has going for it. Yes, I think the looks are a big plus, but we're not talking about a blower that performs sub par here. It's a win win if you ask me. My Gen II Whip performs great and the looks are just a second notch in its favor. My car is a garage queen first, a show/street car second and a race car distantly 3rd. Any of the TS blowers on the market would have given me the performance that I was looking for. I mean seriously, on the street is 610 RWHP really that much better than 590 RWHP?? If the equivalent KB product made 10 or 15 more RWHP than the Whipple (which I'm not saying either does), the looks would have still put the Whipple on top of my engine. If it made 30 or 40 more, than maybe I'd be singing a different tune, but that's not the case. In most cases the performance differnece between the 2.2 KB and 2.3 Whip (with the same boost levels) are marginal and sway both ways with the wind. Even the newer 2.6 KB has not been proven to be a far superior unit than Whips Gen II 2.3. It's a matter of taste in the end and since they are so close in performance, the Whips appearance was the deciding factor for me.
If your building a dyno queen or a race car, than obviously your not looking at either of these blowers so the performance differences are really not considderable enough for me. If I was building a race / dyno car I'd have bought a 3.4 Whip or a 2.8 KB with one of those monster inlets.

On a side note, its funny how terminator owners are so spoild with power. I mean sersiously, with the smaller TS's we're talking about 580-620 RWHP street cars :lol:. Do you really think you'll notice 20 RWHP when you have 580 on tap??? Either way you look at it, its an astronomical amount of power for a car that's primarily driven on the street and has a 281 inch V8. Its funny to see people post up about their dissapointment when they're TS car ONLY made 590 RWHP....:lol:

mach1033

Established Member
can't wait to see your updated pics mach1033...what color did you powdercoat your valve covers

If you want you can follow my build on Mod fords. Go to the 03/04 Cobra section and look for "Mach1033 new combo". My builder is posting pics of the build. I wasn't able to powder coat my cover's because of time. instead they were painted. Tell me what you think of it. I wanted to powder coat them black but because of time they were painted a DSG color. I think they look good. Also I'm waiting on the Crusher inlet for the 2.3 whipple so for now I'm keeping the stock inlet which I know will hurt performance. I also put myself on the list for a Billet Flow TB which is colored black and has the word 'TERMINATOR" engraved on it.

postalbunny

Established Member

Just a heads up... spending even a few hundred on idlers , looks played a definate role in the purchase.

Not that I would buy a $3000 blower that looked awsome and produced less than an eaton, but the whipple in my opinion looks much better than the KB. That with the extra hp would lead me to puchase one over a KB.

Redfirecobra04

Established Member
I went with Whipple mostly due to looks cause the HP numbers are very close and my car is mostly a show car. I also like the fact that it has Ford Racing all over it and it just looks like it "belongs".

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
If I ever go TS, I am leaning way more towards the whipple. From what I have seen, the are more effecient and durable, and they make a little something called torque. Unlike the KB's.

mach1033

Established Member
That's exactly how your Whipple looks IMO. Keep worrying about appearance. That'll win you a lot of races.

You really are painfully stupid aren't you? Your car is all stock so you haven't a clue as to what any of us are talking about do you? If I could do sign language for you I would but here go's again. No one here is saying that one blower will out shine the other. The OP wanted to know our opinions on why we chose one over the other. I'm SO sorry that you don't like my opinion on this matter but I dont give a rats ass what you think. Like a true asshole you put down my car which show's your lack of intelligence on this matter. If you have no real experiences with any of these blower's than why even post like you know it all?

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
You really are painfully stupid aren't you? Your car is all stock so you haven't a clue as to what any of us are talking about do you? If I could do sign language for you I would but here go's again. No one here is saying that one blower will out shine the other. The OP wanted to know our opinions on why we chose one over the other. I'm SO sorry that you don't like my opinion on this matter but I dont give a rats ass what you think. Like a true asshole you put down my car which show's your lack of intelligence on this matter. If you have no real experiences with any of these blower's than why even post like you know it all?

I'm pretty sure he's running a 2.2.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Is it just me? or did that seem like a very short pull. :??:

Yeah, it may have been a short pull as he was still tuning the car and this was the shortest video I had. All the others were way to large to post.

Users who are viewing this thread