Opinions on Music needed (Underground, Commercalized, and the in-between)

tama

Mastermind
Established Member
So a buddy of mine and I are having a discussion a few days ago about music.

Now a little background about us is I enjoy all types of music but I prefer rock (Metal mostly) as it's what I grew up on. And he is a hip hop/rap fan and upcoming dj in the local area.

Anways back to story he's a fairly new freind to me and for the while we've known each other he never knew I listened to hip hop/rap. Once he realized I did he was cool about it. On day on a road trip he's going through my ipod to scan what I have on there and makes this comment. "I noticed you just grab at random artist without researching in the hip hop scene." I didn't have the typical artist out on mainstream media. Artist I enjoy such as:

GZA
Masta Ace
Heiroglyphics
Tech N9ne
Immrotal Technique
Mobb Deep
Gravediggaz
Ill Bill
Jedi Mind Tricks
Reef
Brotha Lynch........etc

Now I do research and listen to samples before I purchase music and I explained this to him. But he seem to think most of the artist I had were underdeveloped and lacked sound production (which they may).

So he lends me a mix cd of artist such as 50 cent, The Game, Jay-Z, etc...He's a big fan on west coast acts such as Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, as well as high profile artist like eminem.

Too wrap this up a few days later he inquires what I thought on the cd and to his dismay I tell him I didn't enjoy these artist. To me their was something missing in their music in my opinion. We have a discussion about it and he kept asking what it was I didn't like. It got to a point were I said the music and those artist felt to commercial and unreal or unispired to me. And to this he took great offense as his next statement was these artist have sold millions of records and that in itself was a testament to their greatness ad millions of hip hop fans would disagree with me. That these artist have defined what hip hop is.

While I disagree I gave him closing to this discussion. I didn't want to argue or agrivate him more. But it really upset him. I just want to know what the general senses of music is out there among individuals. Could be any genre or style of music.

I've notice most of my taste tends to lay with lesser known acts or underground acts. I just can't get into musci on the radio these days. I find myself searching for artist as to me the lesser know acts tend to be better.:shrug:

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
Underground is where its at, to hell with this other garbage.

Paz
Chief Kamachi
7L & Esoteric
Outerspace
Apathy
Celph Titled
Reef the Lost Cauze
Des Devious
King Syze
R.A. The rugged man
Joe budden

Check them out, you should like them

snake134

i like some underground...but i agree with your friend....no one competes with the top dogs like eminem and jay-z

darkhorse276

Established Member
I agree with both of you really. Alot of the lesser known artists do seem to have more behind their stuff, if that makes sense. On the flip side though, the sound of those big name artists is very good. They sell for a reason. Not sure really how to explain it really. :shrug:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
I'm surprised you listed Ill Bill but not Necro. I think Necro is better.

Other than Necro, I'd say that most of the rap I listen to is from the 90s (Mobb Deep, Souls Of Mischief, Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth, Quest, etc. have been on the playlists as of lately).

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
Im somewhere in between, although it is people like your friend who Nas was talking about when he said hip hop was dead. But you guys should check this track out, it is damn hot i cant stop listening to it
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ0n--vo79s"]YouTube - Median feat. 9th Wonder - Visionary[/ame]

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUNLAr6diLs"]YouTube - R.A the Rugged Man - Uncommon Valor [Music Animation][/ame]

tama

Mastermind
Established Member
Haha we picked up on this discussion again last night. He seems to think I'm closed-minded in the sense that if I know the artist or band is a commercial success then I make judgement that I don't like them. Even if they may be a solid act. Or that I try to pass a holier than thou view that I'm better inclined to like good music because my style dirves from underground or lesser know/obscure bands or artist.

It was hard to get my point accross that I indeed like many successful mainstream artist. But for whatever reason my favorite artist just happen to be lesser known acts and my like for them had nothing to do with their success.

I was called a hater lol....but in good tone...nothing condescending or immature.

I'm starting to wonder if it is a mental block? Or is it just something in the music?:shrug:

Last edited:

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
i enjoy both underground and more mainstream type music. I like artists like Immortal Technique, TechN9ne, kottonmouth kings, etc... but at the same time I do like 50 and eminem and the more popular rappers. D12 is one of my favorite rap groups, i'm not even sure if they're underground or not.

Users who are viewing this thread