Opinions needed on a travel trailer

roadracer247

Established Member
1EFF8EE6-84E5-481E-B1E1-A6862885C651.jpeg

Because of my profession I a need a space to be able to isolate myself at home when there’s an exposure at work. Basically gives me a place to crash for a few nights while I wait for test results since it doesn’t seem like Covid is going away anytime soon.

Link -
Northwood Nash 17K - Nelsons RVs - 1745835

From what I’ve researched this company seems to put out decently build products. I live in a dry environment. No snow. Average rainfall for California. 100+ in the summer though..

Looking longer-term I want something that we can use on road trips up the coast and out to places like death Valley, Utah, etc. Thoughts?

We are a family of 3. Not looking for any trailers that require anything more than a half ton truck. Possibilities include Tundra, 1500 RAM/GMC, Land Cruiser, or Suburban right now. We had planned on buying one of those family haulers anyway. More looking at trailers that'd be appropriate.

Last edited:

velocicaur

Established Member
That looks like a nice little unit.

I would get something a little bigger though. I took a peek at the video - is there only one "real" bed? You don't want to have to deal with switching the table over every night (been there, done that). It's your only place to sit inside. I would definitely get something that has a dedicated bed/bunk for your kid.

Are you fixed on a new one? There are a ton of used ones for sale that have very little use. You can get a really nice one for that price with with a slide out or two for extra space. You wouldn't take as much of a hit when you sell it. People realize that they hate camping every weekend.

Tylerc

Established Member
I lived in a trailer for about 3 months last summer for work, my wife, baby and myself. Honestly if your planning on spending more than two nights with a family your going to want something around 24-26' at least. This range is easily towable with a half ton.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Northwood is a good brand. Also check out Grand Design. We have been full timing in one for the last 3 years while building our house. Company is stellar.

velocicaur

Established Member
I've been looking at something like this. It's 26ft. I just want to get lost. There was a few times when my wife and I were in the Northern Maine woods were we would've loved to pull over and just stay for a few days. But then I look at small 5th wheels but i'd have to trade my F150, which make me think about getting a RAM 3500 and then I realize I don't want to spend that much.

You have to use that to your advantage. The main reason guys put up with getting a bigger camper is getting a "free" diesel out of it. The trailers usually get sold in a few years but the truck always stays.

roadracer247

Established Member
That looks like a nice little unit.

I would get something a little bigger though. I took a peek at the video - is there only one "real" bed? You don't want to have to deal with switching the table over every night (been there, done that). It's your only place to sit inside. I would definitely get something that has a dedicated bed/bunk for your kid.

Are you fixed on a new one? There are a ton of used ones for sale that have very little use. You can get a really nice one for that price with with a slide out or two for extra space. You wouldn't take as much of a hit when you sell it. People realize that they hate camping every weekend.

I'm not fixed to anything. I'd prefer new to avoid buying someone else's problem. I want to keep the trailer as small as possible.

velocicaur

Established Member
My neighbor had a hybrid trailer. They have small hard shells like a traditional camper but then they have pop out beds like you see on those little campers. They usually have two queen size beds as pop outs so that offers a ton of extra space that you don't have in a normal camper. You'd need a 30' or something like that to get that bed size but you can get that in an ~18' hybrid. They have A/C. They have a small bathroom/shower. Your table is always free. They are really light and can be pulled by pretty much any vehicle. It might be something to check out.

This is just a random example I found on youtube.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
I would attempt to budget in a covered parking space if you don’t already have one. The sun tears them apart pretty quickly if left exposed all the time. Last time I bought one I got a covered structure for about $2k installed.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

nickf2005

Established Member
I haven't owned one, but I have enough friends who have shared their ownership experiences.

1. Buying a used camper is necessarily buying someone's problem. It can be the opposite. The first two years, your new TT may spend a decent amount of time in the shop getting warranty work gettimg done. If you buy 2-4 year used, many of those initial problems are taken care of.

2. Size up. Kind of like a garage. Take what you think you need, and go slightly bigger. You'll never be mad about it.

3. Awning. Cover it when you can. A buddy that worked for State Farm said that every TT/RV will leak. It's just a matter of when.

4. When calculating weight and towability, don't go by the truck towing guide. Use the specific payload rating of the vehicle you're looking at. Half-ton vehicles (especially SUV's) run out of payload before power. Also, pay attention to your stock hitch weight ratings before the need for a Weigth Distribution Hitch. Figure a 13% tongue weight and calculate it off the GVWR of the trailer, not the dry weight.

Based on all that, I'd suggest looking at a slightly used one that is a bit bigger. At least a double bunk in rear and a queen for you. People buy new, never use it and dump them a lot cheaper.

Get the biggest refrigerator and shower you can find (I'm 6'3" so this is more important for me than others). If you'll end up remote, the Honda quiet generators are hard to beat. They're just expensive as heck.

I'd love to get a TT and do some exploring with the wife and kid. The Mrs. just isn't into it.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

stvdman

Established Member
I've been looking at something like this. It's 26ft. I just want to get lost. There was a few times when my wife and I were in the Northern Maine woods were we would've loved to pull over and just stay for a few days. But then I look at small 5th wheels but i'd have to trade my F150, which make me think about getting a RAM 3500 and then I realize I don't want to spend that much.

New 2021 Winnebago Industries Towables Hike H215HS Travel Trailer at Fretz RV | Souderton, PA | #16904

View attachment 1652139

They make 5th wheels that are designed to be towed with a half ton pickup. a nice 26-28' 5th wheel would be great IMO

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
OP have you considered a Class C RV. My cousin has one for him and his 3 kids and they love it.

They make 5th wheels that are designed to be towed with a half ton pickup. a nice 26-28' 5th wheel would be great IMO

I found this one yesterday. I wish there was a way I could tow it around for a few hours to see if I like it. I towed all sorts of trailers with all sorts of trucks and there is a lot of them I wouldn't want to be stuck dragging across the country.
Indian Valley Camping Center

I would also want it to be off grid. My ideal set up would be a Li battery charged by solar and supplemented by a small propane generator.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
OP have you considered a Class C RV. My cousin has one for him and his 3 kids and they love it.

I found this one yesterday. I wish there was a way I could tow it around for a few hours to see if I like it. I towed all sorts of trailers with all sorts of trucks and there is a lot of them I wouldn't want to be stuck dragging across the country.
Indian Valley Camping Center

I would also want it to be off grid. My ideal set up would be a Li battery charged by solar and supplemented by a small propane generator.

Tough to beat a diesel pusher for those longer trips, plus the diesel generator in the front makes life much more comfortable.

smitty2919

Established Member
Unless a Tundra got better on gas, they seem to be known for draining your pocket for MPG's.

Truck is like a camper...go slightly bigger than what you need. IMO a gas 2500 in a Ram/Ford/Chevy will tow anything you want. Ram 1500's of today seem to be praised VERY highly for their ride comfort.

stvdman

Established Member
A New F250 w/7.3 would make a great tow vehicle.

BUT, back to 1/2 Ton with small 5th wheel... Most people I have met and talked with during our 10+ years of RV'ing that have towed RV's, prefer towing a 5th wheel over a bumper pull.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, 5th wheel can give you more trailer without being extremely long when towing.

A lot of good advice here. I like the "go bigger than you think you need" idea. Also, covering it is a great idea.

It really comes down to customer support. The components in a trailer don't vary much brand to brand. Actual build quality and factory support are key. That's why I own a Grand Design.

Users who are viewing this thread