Opinions for installing 4:10 gears in a 13 GT500

SDBs13GT500

Established Member
I bought a new set of 4:10s for old 03 Cobra and am now considering installing them in my 13 GT500. What is every bodies thoughts on this? Would like to hear the pro and cons from owners that might have done this modification. Look forward to hearing from you all. I am not looking at putting drag radials on the car and will look at putting some minor mods on the car to get it around 700 at the wheels give or take a few horsepower.

Last edited:

rancid

Established Member
A lot of people are going to tell you that it isn't worth it for a street car and to do 3.73's but I'd disagree. I've had 4.10's in almost every Mustang I've ever owned and it makes driving on the street much more fun because of how fast the car revs and how quick you get out of the hole (assuming you have good tires.) Granted, you will have to shift more often and you will hear the exhaust more on the interstate because of the higher RPM, but it is worth the trade-offs IMO.

If you plan on street racing vs. the track you might want to consider 3.73's because you will probably have to shift into 5th sooner than you will want to and not going with drag radials will prob make it impossible to get traction from a dead stop. Birddoc went from 3.73's to 4.10's in his Shelby in his "Mother of God" mod thread and I believe he is pretty happy with the change but he has a lot more supporting mods.

Go for it, worst case you have to swap to something else.

Last edited:

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
I also plan on gears in the Spring, just need to decide between 3.73's and 4.10's. Honestly I can't stand the stock 3.31's - waaay too tall for the street.

What I did realize is that with a few mods (Van's 13-6 kit, which he advertises as close to 700rwhp) the stock Goodyears are about worthless. Gears will only make traction more of a problem for the stock tires.

I went with M/T DR's. Now the car digs in really well in 1st. Hopefully they will still hook once I do get the gears.

Has anyone done the math to determine speeds in each gear with 3.73's vs. 4.10's?

Last edited:

BIRDDOC

Established Member
A lot of people are going to tell you that it isn't worth it for a street car and to do 3.73's but I'd disagree. I've had 4.10's in almost every Mustang I've ever owned and it makes driving on the street much more fun because of how fast the car revs and how quick you get out of the hole (assuming you have good tires.) Granted, you will have to shift more often and you will hear the exhaust more on the interstate because of the higher RPM, but it is worth the trade-offs IMO.

If you plan on street racing vs. the track you might want to consider 3.73's because you will probably have to shift into 5th sooner than you will want to and not going with drag radials will prob make it impossible to get traction from a dead stop. Birddoc went from 3.73's to 4.10's in his Shelby in his "Mother of God" mod thread and I believe he is pretty happy with the change but he has a lot more supporting mods.

"We will be right back after this short message...."

I really like the 4.10's :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

"We are now returning to regular scheduled programming"

SVTKen

Established Member
Aren't 4.10s too much for street use on the Shelby unless you plan to use drag radials all the time? The Shelby is already very traction limited. Unless you're running with DRs or slicks, you're just struggling for traction and back pedaling on almost any street surface, even in 2nd gear. Where am I going wrong here? I know the gears would be fun, but I don't see how it would be beneficial for anything other than a well prepped track.

BIRDDOC

Established Member
Aren't 4.10s too much for street use on the Shelby unless you plan to use drag radials all the time? The Shelby is already very traction limited. Unless you're running with DRs or slicks, you're just struggling for traction and back pedaling on almost any street surface, even in 2nd gear. Where am I going wrong here? I know the gears would be fun, but I don't see how it would be beneficial for anything other than a well prepped track.

You are correct. You need a bigger/better wheel/tire combo or DR's to actually use the insanity. I am currently running MT 305 DR's which work well on the street. If you don't do the supporting mods stay with 3.73's.

gt347mustang

Established Member
I just installed a set in a customers car today.

Imho, its too much gear for the car. I would have gone with 3.73's or 3.55's.

SDBs13GT500

Established Member
Thanks for the good inputs. I have been leaning toward the 3:73s since the majority of the time will be on the street as my weekend fun toy with some limited track (strip and road course) time. The mods are going to start this weekend hopefully with a new catback exhaust and some lowering spring to change the stance and improve center of gravity. I got hurt with some of the mods I did on my 03 when it came time to trade it in on the new toy. Going with similar mods to what all the performance shops are offering.

Planeswalker

Established Member
I dropped my car off to get 3.73s, it will be done on Monday. Got basic bolt ons and will be widening the wheels after New Years.

SVTKen

Established Member
I would probably go with 3.55s or 3.73s. Even the 3.73s would be a handful on most street surfaces, regardless of the kind of tires you have. Let's face it. You're not going to be heating up the tires every time you get to a stop light. I'm thinking that 3.73s would be more fun, but 3.55s would be more practical. On track days, the 3.73s would be awesome with a set of slicks.

What is the cost of ford racing gears installed, parts plus labor? This is the one mod I'm thinking about doing, but I'm on the fence deciding between 3.55s and 3.73s. I'm already thinking about my first mod and I don't even have my car yet!

Last edited:

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
I'm really surprised at those that go with 4.10s. I personally feel they are a bit much on the street. Had them in my 05 GT that I had, and since the car was N/A, it was great, but man you do run out of gear fast.

The terminators came with 3.55s. If I was to gear swap the GT500, it would be at most, 3.73.

13GT500SG

Established Member
The trans is geared taller then your 05gt. 410s in your gt is like 456s in our 13gt500.

Users who are viewing this thread