Opinions about the use of my front porch.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
This is regarding my/girlfriend's residence. There is a huge yearly street festival that our house is right in the middle of. For the past two years my girlfriend has set up on our porch during the festival and sold vintage clothing. She does not have an actual business. The porch is elevated about 9 feet above the street and some people come up and check it out. She had applied to be a vendor in the past but was denied because she doesn't make her own goods so I said to set it up on the porch and see how it goes.

The festival is organized by local volunteers. Yesterday one of these people contacted her via facebook and said they do not want to see her outside during the festival unless she pays a vendor fee ($350). Now, my girlfriend works for and is close friends with the mayor of the town, he sees no issue with what my gf is doing. I spoke to a lawyer relative and his opinion was that the organizing group is unable to enforce anything regarding what you do on private property. He also said if someone comes be polite and tell them you disagree and if they are argumentative say you will call the police and have them removed and if they don't leave do so. However, he said they could potentially assess damages and sue over this or possibly find some ordinance which we are violating and force her to stop.

Kind of a weird thing to deal with over what is essentially a glorified yard sale taking advantage of the activity outside. 90% of the addresses inside the festival are businesses, otherwise I would expect they would be worried about other people doing the same thing in some way or another.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
she should message the volunteer back, and ask for the specific code violation she is alleged to have broken. when the bitch can't giver her one .. tell her to get bent ...

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Well, today is the big day. Already had a lady come up from the festival board and say they can't have this happening because it upsets vendors. I suppose the bank set up outside my house will somehow get less new checking accounts LOL. We found no common ground and disagreed about everything, my right to use my property, the difference between the street and my porch, the impact to the event. She also did not think the mayor's opinion mattered. Fortunately the mayor said to refer anyone with an issue to him or the chief of police because they were both in agreement on the matter. There is an angry woman looking for them right now.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
If she owns or rents the house it's her business what she does on it.

Unless there is a specific city code, in print, show the busybodies the gate.

YJSONLY

Established Member
Sounds like you all are having a yard sale while a festival is going on....

Users who are viewing this thread