Opinion on best shocks for Street/Strip

Juney

Established Member
My car's got 97,xxx miles, has the original shocks, has BMR LCA's, and is on the Eibach Pro-kit. I'm looking to improve my 60ft's while also maintaining daily drivability (and maybe even an autocross here or there). I know the first answer is DR's but I want to see what can be done on street tires (I'm only looking for 1.9's right now). Aside from not having DR's, I feel weight transfer and keeping the tires planted may be my biggest issue.
So, what is everyone running in terms of an adjustable shock? And do you think this will help my situation or am I way off base?

Krwy

Established Member
I'm running Strange 10-ways on my Street/Strip car. Nice shock/strut all around. Set the rears tight and loosen the fronts slightly at the track

lindermant

Established Member
2005 gt here, pushing all of 302 rwhp. 5sp manual launching at ~4500 rpm

- strange single adj front struts/rear shocks
- cobra jet springs (M-5300-Q)
- metco UCA/LCA
- bmr reloc brackets
- 17" M/T et street bias ply rear tires
- 15" weld fronts

1.65 60' and still trying to dial it in more (I'm hoping for a high 1.5x):

12apr14_nvmc_rental_zps62da0fbd.gif

12apr14_mason-dixon_launch_full_res_zps3a802761.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQheUZMijDM&feature=player_embedded

that setup even pulled the front OEM wheel :-D

2013_test_and_tune_full_res_zps0323d6d9.gif

Last edited:

Juney

Established Member
That's what's up!!!! How long have you had the Strange's? I'm curious about durability since the price on them is so much better than, say, Koni Yellows or QA1's.

lindermant

Established Member
That's what's up!!!! How long have you had the Strange's? I'm curious about durability since the price on them is so much better than, say, Koni Yellows or QA1's.
I bought the car summer 2011 (I'm the 2nd owner), and I've done the work on the car in phases - rear suspension/shocks/springs winter of 2011, and front suspension/struts/springs winter of 2012. The car has 19,xxx miles on it (only had 8200 when I bought it).

I set the struts/shocks to +5 or +6 clicks for daily driving and it rides like stock, and when I go to the track I can make the changes I want in a minute or two via external knob on the bottom of the shock/strut.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I bought the car summer 2011 (I'm the 2nd owner), and I've done the work on the car in phases - rear suspension/shocks/springs winter of 2011, and front suspension/struts/springs winter of 2012. The car has 19,xxx miles on it (only had 8200 when I bought it).

I set the struts/shocks to +5 or +6 clicks for daily driving and it rides like stock, and when I go to the track I can make the changes I want in a minute or two via external knob on the bottom of the shock/strut.

If I may ask, what settings do you use for the front & rear shocks at the track?

lindermant

Established Member
If I may ask, what settings do you use for the front & rear shocks at the track?

I've tried a bunch of settings, and it does the best with fronts set to full loose, rear's set to +3 from full soft and 18psi cold in the 17" M/T ET street rear tires.

I sold the 17" wheels/tires a few weeks back and picked up a set of 15" Weld RT-S wheels and M/T ET streets, hope to have them mounted in the next few days. I get to start all over with tire pressure and rear shock settings to get the new stuff working efficiently.

FBDC7BE0-8DBA-4E23-BDB9-FB5C120D27BF_zpsrggbvwgw.gif

Last edited:

jpplaw

Established Member
Strange 10-ways for sure. Been running mine for over a year now for daily driving and and occasional strip duty, and no problems whatsoever.

At the track I set the fronts to 1 or 2 and the rears anywhere from 2-6, depending on the track conditions. It has lifted the tire once or twice, even with the added iron shortblock and blower weight.

Last edited:

lindermant

Established Member
any update OP??

I made my first runs with the new rear wheels/tires, and I'm down to a 1.644 60' time. I need to dial in the tire pressure/shock settings and let it rip; there's a 1.5x in this thing yet!

9aug2_zps7ebdc2a7.gif

9146C4AC-2902-45B3-8D3D-125339B1D2F6_zpsgeihlq6c.gif

Users who are viewing this thread