Ongoing battle with steering rack and power steering pump.

Driver500

Established Member
Mods, I placed this thread here because it is a turbo car problem. I didn't see a forum that "steering rack" fell nicely into. Be merciful if I've placed it in the wrong forum.

Ok, here's the problem. I have the THP kit on my 03. The headers end at the steering rack. The vband connecting the uppipe rests on the steering rack on both sides. I've tried heat shields, raising the car, header wrap, and blind faith to try and stop the boots from being burned by the header. All to no avail. The car is on it's 3rd rack and it's done for. It's leaking fluid badly and needs to be replaced.

About a year ago I swapped out the steering shaft for a solid piece from Maximum Motorsports. The rag joint had given up the ghost and that fixed that right up.

So now I have a solid shaft and a power steering rack that I'm not sure will ever last very long, and after multiple limps with low power steering fluid I now have a power steering pump that sounds like the wailing of the lost souls.

I'd like to just swap to a manual rack and forget all this nonsense but I hate to have to rebuy the solid steering shaft. It's my understanding that the power steering shaft will not work with a manual rack. And my current rack may be under warranty so that's a couple hundred dollar swing.

Do y'all know of a manual rack that will work with my steering shaft?

Any ideas for a fix to help my steering rack cremation problem.

Cliffs:
1. Headers burn my steering rack boots. over and over
2. I need a new rack now. "Powered rack may be under warranty" Manual would prob fix my ongoing issues.
3. Power steering pump wails like a banshee but may quiet down once all the bubbles are out of the system.
4. Is there a manual rack that will work with my MM solid steering shaft for my powered rack?
5. Is there a fix that will stop the burned boots on my new rack?

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Manual rack isn't going to solve your clearance issue between the header and the boots. I'd say give Maximum Motorsports a call to discuss your issue. These guys are unmatched in customer service and they will have a definitive answer for you.

My guess, a combination of offset steering rack bushings and a heat shield for the boots. Maximum Motorsports carries a solid steering shaft for manual racks, but I would confirm the brand you plan on installing (assuming this company will replace under warranty) will work with the MM solid shaft. MM also carries manual racks. Sell the power steering shaft on here in the Market Section to recuperate your losses.

Last edited:

Driver500

Established Member
Thanks for the reply.

Do manual racks have the rubber boots or are they just metal?

I can raise the car and eliminate the rubbing but the proximity to the collector is hell on rubber boots.

I like your sig btw.
I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and the Cobra IRS.

Both are where it's at and require faith to believe in them. :)

Last edited:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Thanks for the reply.

Do manual racks have the rubber boots or are they just metal?

I can raise the car and eliminate the rubbing but the proximity to the collector is hell on rubber boots.

I like your sig btw.
I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and the Cobra IRS.

Both are where it's at and require faith to believe in them. :)

Yep, you still have boots with the manual rack to protect the inner rod ends and mechanicals. It may require a combination of both lifting the engine motor mounts and offset rack bushings to obtain the clearance you need. Just keep it in mind and bounce the idea off MM when you give them a call.

Thanks for this sig compliment. My faith for them both started small and grew tremendously! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Driver500

Established Member
Well if they both have boots I've still got clearance issues. I think I'm just going to get with a local fabricator to see about changing the location of the collectors. I have way more wiggle room there to get them away from the boots than raising the engine.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Manual rack isn't going to solve your clearance issue between the header and the boots. I'd say give Maximum Motorsports a call to discuss your issue. These guys are unmatched in customer service and they will have a definitive answer for you.

My guess, a combination of offset steering rack bushings and a heat shield for the boots. Maximum Motorsports carries a solid steering shaft for manual racks, but I would confirm the brand you plan on installing (assuming this company will replace under warranty) will work with the MM solid shaft. MM also carries manual racks. Sell the power steering shaft on here in the Market Section to recuperate your losses.

I was going to suggest replumbing the turbo with headers that are not so close to the rack.

But I like Trent's idea better.:beer::rockon:

If the car is lowered, one of the methods used to resolve the bump steer issue that lowering introduces is to raise the rack with offset bushings.
These same bushings can be used to lower the rack to gain greater clearance from any more "heat treating", and if the car is put back to stock ride height your bump steer will probably not be that far off.

The other method for resolving bump steer on lowered cars is the tie rod spacer stack. By combining a bump steer spacer stack on the tie rod with offset bushings on the rack you may be able to gain the needed clearance to stop the cooking, and also not mess up your bumpsteer.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I was going to suggest replumbing the turbo with headers that are not so close to the rack.

But I like Trent's idea better.:beer::rockon:

If the car is lowered, one of the methods used to resolve the bump steer issue that lowering introduces is to raise the rack with offset bushings.
These same bushings can be used to lower the rack to gain greater clearance from any more "heat treating", and if the car is put back to stock ride height your bump steer will probably not be that far off.

The other method for resolving bump steer on lowered cars is the tie rod spacer stack. By combining a bump steer spacer stack on the tie rod with offset bushings on the rack you may be able to gain the needed clearance to stop the cooking, and also not mess up your bumpsteer.

does this type of alteration affect inspection with tie rods being dropped so far ?

Driver500

Established Member
fabbed some billet spacers and leveled out the bumpsteer kit. Going to weld new tabs on the k member and relocate the steering rack to move it away from the header next.

cpthowdy87

Established Member
Bump to relive an old thread. I'm having the same issue with the same setup with the v clamp rubbing and melting my driver side steering rack bellow.
I am wondering how the issue was fixed .

Users who are viewing this thread