One 4 thread head and one 8 thread head? WTF!

GK_crewchief

Kenne Bell Boosted
Established Member
Well my engine builder pulled my old motor out and bagan to disassemble it and pulled the heads off to inspect. Well guess what, one of my heads has the 4 thread holes and the other has the 8 thread! Now from what I know when I bought it from Carmax 2 years ago it had a clean history and checked my VIN though Ford and it has NEVER had warrenty work. So could Ford have installed a set of 4 thead heads from factory? I dunno, but seems fishy to me. Just thought I would let you all know and to double check your 03-04 heads to be sure. I'd hate to see someone blow a spark plug out on their 03-04 L thinking they have the newer heads. My build date was in March of 2003.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Well, we found the Lightning!

Yours must have been the exact Lightning on the assembly line when they ran out of the 4 thread heads, and the newer 8/9 thread heads were first put on a truck!!

:beer: :beer: :beer:

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

Stewart ;-)

sethlovesfords

Established Member

Yours must have been the exact Lightning on the assembly line when they ran out of the 4 thread heads, and the newer 8/9 thread heads were first put on a truck!!

Stewart ;-)

Is that serious?

jwiles6186

I Hate Speed Bumps!
Established Member

Stewart ;-)

Unless whoever before him owned it spat a plug didnt turn it in to their insurance went out bought a new head and replaced it.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Unless whoever before him owned it spat a plug didnt turn it in to their insurance went out bought a new head and replaced it.

That's the only logical explanation I can think of. Either that, or Ford just cut a corner on this Lightning when they built it.

ecoastkid

Established Member
all f150's had the 4 thread heads from 97-02...not just lightnings...as for the rods?...I really dont think they cut corners at all. Most can go 450 to 500 hp at the wheels..when you factor in drivetrain loss and parasitic drag from the s/c...those rods are seeing 600+ hp reliably.

ecoastkid

Established Member
Ford probably replaced one under warranty,

Cut corners? Not exactly, but they didn't do the right thing.

Sounds like he had an oasis report pulled and didnt find anything

What do you mean they didn't do the right thing?...They handle 150 more rwhp at the wheel then they came off the showroom floor. What should they have done?...but billet pieces in?..lol

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
What do you mean they didn't do the right thing?...They handle 150 more rwhp at the wheel then they came off the showroom floor. What should they have done?...but billet pieces in?..lol

Cobra's didn't get stock Mustang rods did they? :dw:

ecoastkid

Established Member
IIRC the rods that came in for the terminators had some sort of flaw. So they needed something fast and got those rods. It wasnt in the original plan.

I'm not disagreeing they are the weakest point. I just dont feel that they put cheap rods in and I'd wager that they handle way more then most production rods.

Anyways.

So how are you going to resolve this?..Are you gonna try and find 1 8 thread head? I'm sure a bunch of guys that have blown up their engines might have one.

Users who are viewing this thread