On3 twin turbo install, some thoughts, and PICS.

cb900f

Established Member
They didn't go when it had a roush. i just thought it was funny he asked about reliability after the blown motor post.

If I kept the boost low, it might still be running today. But where would the fun be in that? I still chock the OPG failure as bad luck. Some people run 11.5 psi all day long and no issues. OPG failure could have been because of the Roush bumping the rev limiter when I first installed it.... Car has had a rough 16k miles so far and has never left me stranded until now.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Having been down the non-factory turbo route, you will face more maintenance and durability issues down the road. There are just a whole lot more pipes and connections in a turbo setup. That's reality. Any power adder will add work to your life as well as power, that can't be avoided. Spend good money up front on quality and buy back a little less durability and reliability issues down the road.

Thats funny. I "maintained" my paxton setup FAR more than this on3 setup. once you get the turbo set up installed and ironed out, youre done.

I spent more time fighiting belt slip issues and adjusting or re installing cold pipes on my paxton set up than i did installing the entire on3 kit. Hell... installing the 3.27s (which proved to help a TON with belt slip) took me a full weekend alone.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
If I kept the boost low, it might still be running today. But where would the fun be in that? I still chock the OPG failure as bad luck. Some people run 11.5 psi all day long and no issues. OPG failure could have been because of the Roush bumping the rev limiter when I first installed it.... Car has had a rough 16k miles so far and has never left me stranded until now.

agree on the rev limiter comment.

How high did you typically rev it?

Shocking the gears is what breaks them IMO. Not necessarily boost or how much boost.

cb900f

Established Member
agree on the rev limiter comment.

How high did you typically rev it?

Shocking the gears is what breaks them IMO. Not necessarily boost or how much boost.

Once it was ironed out 7200 rpms. But the first tune I was given hit 7500. I only did that 2 times. With the Roush, it would rev limit between 2-3. I did that a fair amount. :-( But that was almost 1 year ago.

JTS_7

Established Member
RPM also doesn't help. Aftermarket balancer and aftermarket OPG will help keep things alive.

Bgoins

Established Member
Thats funny. I "maintained" my paxton setup FAR more than this on3 setup. once you get the turbo set up installed and ironed out, youre done.

I spent more time fighiting belt slip issues and adjusting or re installing cold pipes on my paxton set up than i did installing the entire on3 kit. Hell... installing the 3.27s (which proved to help a TON with belt slip) took me a full weekend alone.

Thanks, that's helpful because unless you've owned power adders like these someone wouldn't know about issues like that.
Other things that kind of freak me out about the twins is thoughts of oil getting sprayed over my engine out of the pop-in breathers and random stuff getting melted/destroyed by the heat of the turbos/hot side.

JTS_7

Established Member
Thanks, that's helpful because unless you've owned power adders like these someone wouldn't know about issues like that.
Other things that kind of freak me out about the twins is thoughts of oil getting sprayed over my engine out of the pop-in breathers and random stuff getting melted/destroyed by the heat of the turbos/hot side.

Run a catch can, turbo blankets, heat wrap/coating.

Once a kit is properly setup I doubt you will have an issue, regardless of power adder.

Turbo/s by nature require in my opinion more knowledge of the system. Far more things to trouble shoot than say a whipple should anything go wrong.

cb900f

Established Member
Run a catch can, turbo blankets, heat wrap/coating.

Once a kit is properly setup I doubt you will have an issue, regardless of power adder.

Turbo/s by nature require in my opinion more knowledge of the system. Far more things to trouble shoot than say a whipple should anything go wrong.
This... A lot of people don't understand load. Turbos work off of load, not RPM, not throttle, but load. Grasping that concept will help you understand and troubleshoot issues.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes.

Actually got it on sale when Beef had them for $3649. Hard to beat that!!

:banana:

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
I probably lost a few hundred by bucks. Not to mention my time on the pulling of the blower and install of the twins.

No regrets tho. Some people have to live it to learn it I guess (me).

:)

So the On3 is still more pricey than a Paxton kit with a torque booster as well? Or did I read that wrong?

I can not wait to order the kit. I am holding out till the spring though, haha.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
So the On3 is still more pricey than a Paxton kit with a torque booster as well? Or did I read that wrong?

I can not wait to order the kit. I am holding out till the spring though, haha.

They are within $100 of each other including fuel and a tune.

I lost a couple hundred in that I had to sell my Paxton private party and obviously didn't get out of it what I paid.

EDIT-- If you include Tq booster then Paxton is more expensive by $500 or so.

Great write up!

Thanks!

Last edited:

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
They are within $100 of each other including fuel and a tune.

I lost a couple hundred in that I had to sell my Paxton private party and obviously didn't get out of it what I paid.

EDIT-- If you include Tq booster then Paxton is more expensive by $500 or so.

Yeah, I was meaning brand new costs. Like if you were to compare it as the Paxton kits price with fuel versus the On3 kit with fuel when you bought everything new, the difference in price like that.

Users who are viewing this thread