On3 twin turbo install, some thoughts, and PICS.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I read that too. I went to magnums website and did some digging around and found that tbe 60s spec out EXACTLY the same as the magnum unit. Who knows..... :shrug:

Hmmm that would make sense as the Magnum factory is in Brazil too. Good work detective, I would bet you are right.

REDS197

Established Member
on3 is a good kit with some fitment issues. Install is not that bad. FWIW I know of 5 hellion turbos that were replaced in my area and not one on3 turbo.

I would be bitter as hell paying for a sweet turbo that needed replaced.

Tron84

Damn Newb
Established Member
Man this thread really has me wanting to sell the vortech JT and go turbo.
I have the fab skills and tools, just not the time... Until winter that is :)
Glad to see they have fixed some of the issues the kit initially had, hopefully they revise it again to fix some more.

phil h

Established Member
Man this thread really has me wanting to sell the vortech JT and go turbo.
I have the fab skills and tools, just not the time... Until winter that is :)
Glad to see they have fixed some of the issues the kit initially had, hopefully they revise it again to fix some more.

I sold my vortech v3 and couldnt be happier with my base on3 kit that made 1009rwhp.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Car is coming around nicely starting to feel real good.

Chris Holmes has been massaging the tune and it's getting real close.

Next track day is aug 23 so, if weather permits, hope to get a time on it then.

cb900f

Established Member
My on3 wastegates failed right after I got it tuned. Swapped with Tial and never looked back. Kit makes stellar power and is a blast to drive. Until you break your oil pump gears. :-( LOL.

JTS_7

Established Member
My on3 wastegates failed right after I got it tuned. Swapped with Tial and never looked back. Kit makes stellar power and is a blast to drive. Until you break your oil pump gears. :-( LOL.

What at broke in the gates?

How ow much damage did the pump gears cause?

cb900f

Established Member
What at broke in the gates?

How ow much damage did the pump gears cause?
Not sure about the gates. With 3 consecutive pulls, the psi went 7, 9, and then 13.8. Pulled them off and put them in the trash.

Haven't pulled the motor yet, starting this week. But had to make damn near 800 at 11.5 psi.

Tx5.0

Established Member
I would like to have a good run with a turbo car to see if I really want to make the switch.

cb900f

Established Member
I would like to have a good run with a turbo car to see if I really want to make the switch.

Where are you in Texas? Hopefully in 3 months the car will be back together and I'll be more than willing to test it out. You pick what boost you want me to run.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
How's the progress? :)

GOOD! Chris has my car running like a raped ape WOT and cruising around town low throttle like a prius.

Im absolutely stoked with the new set up. At 6.5 psi the car feels faster than it ever has.

I can only imagine what 10 is going to feel like. When I had the Paxton, it felt fast on 10 psi but not quite as fast as it does now.

Some of that feeling is simply the way the power comes on turbo vs centri.

The boost comes in so fast and hard with the twins its really a shock if youre used to the centri power curve.

im getting full boost well before 4000 rpm. Car is an animal.

Not sure about the gates. With 3 consecutive pulls, the psi went 7, 9, and then 13.8. Pulled them off and put them in the trash.

Haven't pulled the motor yet, starting this week. But had to make damn near 800 at 11.5 psi.

I was actually impressed with the internals of the on3 gates. stainless valves, and quality rubber diaphrams. Ive had not issues yet but do in fact have a set of Tials on the shelf ready to go in if need be.

Did you cut off your on3 flanges and weld in the tial flanges when you switched?

you WANT to make the switch!

cb900f

Established Member
GOOD! Chris has my car running like a raped ape WOT and cruising around town low throttle like a prius.

Im absolutely stoked with the new set up. At 6.5 psi the car feels faster than it ever has.

I can only imagine what 10 is going to feel like. When I had the Paxton, it felt fast on 10 psi but not quite as fast as it does now.

Some of that feeling is simply the way the power comes on turbo vs centri.

The boost comes in so fast and hard with the twins its really a shock if youre used to the centri power curve.

im getting full boost well before 4000 rpm. Car is an animal.

I was actually impressed with the internals of the on3 gates. stainless valves, and quality rubber diaphrams. Ive had not issues yet but do in fact have a set of Tials on the shelf ready to go in if need be.

Did you cut off your on3 flanges and weld in the tial flanges when you switched?

you WANT to make the switch!
No, I just clamped on the new gates with the old clamps. The Tial clamps were too small and wouldn't close. I didn't get those crappy little clamps with my on3 kit. Just the thicker ones.

Tx5.0

Established Member
Where are you in Texas? Hopefully in 3 months the car will be back together and I'll be more than willing to test it out. You pick what boost you want me to run.

About 2.5 hours west of Dallas. Sounds like a plan and would make a good video for everyone else to see.

Gimme, just because you put want in all caps makes me want to suck on turbos...

cb900f

Established Member
About 2.5 hours west of Dallas. Sounds like a plan and would make a good video for everyone else to see.

Gimme, just because you put want in all caps makes me want to suck on turbos...
I'm rolling E85, so I can't go too far.

Tx5.0

Established Member
Hahaha I know the struggle, I have a drum at the house.... Lets be sad together =(

But its either swap to a JT or YSI or turbo. My mind is burning right now thinking about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread