On3 twin turbo install, some thoughts, and PICS.

JTS_7

Established Member
My car has made a faster pass just never posted about it.

11-12psi produced my fastest times. For the street I generally keep it on wastegate pressure (6psi) sometimes 8psi if I feel like having a little more fun.

My timing im not 100% positive, I would have to go look at my tunes/logs. I have not messed with the car in quite some time, when I was testing and tuning I made quite a few changes throughout my timing map to see what my car liked the best. I do know the all in timing is still very very moderate for e85, as I was never willing to push the limits on stock bottom end.

3:31 gear btw

Last edited:

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Sounds like a sweet winter project.

Glad the cars and kit worked out for you guys.

not positive if I have the tools needed just yet, thinking a PD would be best for me at this point.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Lots of good insight in this thread! Thanks for posting your experience and thoughts on it bud.

I may or may not be switching to this from my VMP setup sometime in the future....we'll see.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Great write up. I'm sure it will help a lot of others. I'm sure it will make great power.

I will have to disagree on the "Being crazy for buying a Hellion kit" though. I would much rather spend the extra $$$ for better turbos, better wastegates, better BOV's, better intercooler (that actually fits), million times better quality stainless steel piping and headers and customer service that is unmatched IMO.

Hell, just not having to mod everything to get it to work would be enough for me to say no. But I guess it's just like anything. You get what you pay for......

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
^^^ the guy who wants to justify the extra several THOUSANDS spent to make the same power.

I get what you're saying but if you have any mechanical ability at all, you don't need customer service.

Did you see my price comparison above of the on3 kit AFTER you upgrade all the hardware? Still thousands cheaper.

You do realize that PTE turbos were failing left and right don't you? It's pretty well documented on all auto platforms who use them.

If by "you get what you pay for" you mean 900-1000 whp capability and a few long weekends and bloody hands, then yes. You are correct.

JTS_7

Established Member
^^^ the guy who wants to justify the extra several THOUSANDS spent to make the same power.

I get what you're saying but if you have any mechanical ability at all, you don't need customer service.

Did you see my price comparison above of the on3 kit AFTER you upgrade all the hardware? Still thousands cheaper.

You do realize that PTE turbos were failing left and right don't you? It's pretty well documented on all auto platforms who use them.

If by "you get what you pay for" you mean 900-1000 whp capability and a few long weekends and bloody hands, then yes. You are correct.

I have seen people make 1200+ with the larger turbos.

Parts are fairly cheap via on3 if you ever needed replacements. Turbo rebuild is like $80, BOV $100, $150 wastegate. Hell even a whole new turbo is cheap.

All my stuff is still good though.

DaBigBone

Established Member
I think what it comes down to is that if somebody is paying thousands of dollars for a kit, they dont want to have to put 40+ hours of labor into it to get it to fit right. For some people, that's not an issue.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I have seen people make 1200+ with the larger turbos.

Parts are fairly cheap via on3 if you ever needed replacements. Turbo rebuild is like $80, BOV $100, $150 wastegate. Hell even a whole new turbo is cheap.

All my stuff is still good though.

agree 100%. If my turbos fail.. ill likely replace them with on3 anyway. I like the fact that theyre BB, and Precision's reputation is not exactly stellar.

Hell... even genuine Garrett turbos are made in China these days. Sad but true.

I think what it comes down to is that if somebody is paying thousands of dollars for a kit, they dont want to have to put 40+ hours of labor into it to get it to fit right. For some people, that's not an issue.

Agree but with the ability to save over $4000 vs Hellion, its really hard for the garage mechanic to pass on3 in my opinion.

If i had money to burn, I'd skip Hellion altogether and go Armageddon. But even then, why waste $12k all off of the supporting mods on a mustang GT? If you're loaded with cash, theres a good chance you aren't playing with a mustang GT anyway... youre probably messing with c7z's, Vipers, new GTRs, or if youre Treynor--Lambos, Ferrari's, and McLarens.

lol

DaBigBone

Established Member
I'm local to Chad and have been talking about doing one of his kits, so I know what you mean.

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
Great write up. I'm sure it will help a lot of others. I'm sure it will make great power.

I will have to disagree on the "Being crazy for buying a Hellion kit" though. I would much rather spend the extra $$$ for better turbos, better wastegates, better BOV's, better intercooler (that actually fits), million times better quality stainless steel piping and headers and customer service that is unmatched IMO.

Hell, just not having to mod everything to get it to work would be enough for me to say no. But I guess it's just like anything. You get what you pay for......

AGREED.for the people who have this kit and are happy thats great but if i had this kit and had to grind , bend, and force everything together i would feel like i was making a very nice car crappy.kind of like buying the ebay longtube headers vs. stainless works or dynatech both flow exhaust but each time u hit the key your praying for no leaks or rattles just my OP.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
AGREED.for the people who have this kit and are happy thats great but if i had this kit and had to grind , bend, and force everything together i would feel like i was making a very nice car crappy.kind of like buying the ebay longtube headers vs. stainless works or dynatech both flow exhaust but each time u hit the key your praying for no leaks or rattles just my OP.

I understand the point you guys are making I just don't agree with it. What you are talking about, essentially, is "piece of mind." Problem is, EVERY manufacturer sends out duds every once in a while. Do some research on Hellion fitment issues or Precision turbo failure.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481264 -- The very first picture is money LOL.

The ebay header comparison is a good one. They perform just as good as the SW headers.

Do you really think you are going to walk outside one day and the ebay headers will crack and break in half?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator

ANY turbo kit can make power. That's easy. Jam boost down the intake of any Coyote and it will make power. Big deal. :sleeping:

I am plenty mechanically inclined. My car has NEVER been to a shop and I do ALL my own tuning. Everything was done be ME 100%.

Fact is, I have been working on Mustangs for over 25 years and I have just gotten wiser with time. Not wanting to deal with a Chineese kit that doesn't fit, has inferior parts and no back up if anything were to happens is why I would never buy such garbage. Hell, even if they were to help out and give you all new parts, just having to take the kit apart and redo it, because it's garbage, is enough for me to stay away. When the headers start to crack, good luck getting a replacement. When the turbo or wastegate fails, I hope your money you saved already has a new motor sitting in the garage waiting to go in.

It's obvious your ONLY concern is $$$.

I think quote sums it up nicely.
The Bitterness of Poor Quality remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten.

I would rather work a little harder and wait then settle for something that is junk. But be my guest. Can't see it from my garage!

Cheers.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
ANY turbo kit can make power. That's easy. Jam boost down the intake of any Coyote and it will make power. Big deal. :sleeping:

I am plenty mechanically inclined. My car has NEVER been to a shop and I do ALL my own tuning. Everything was done be ME 100%.

Fact is, I have been working on Mustangs for over 25 years and I have just gotten wiser with time. Not wanting to deal with a Chineese kit that doesn't fit, has inferior parts and no back up if anything were to happens is why I would never buy such garbage. Hell, even if they were to help out and give you all new parts, just having to take the kit apart and redo it, because it's garbage, is enough for me to stay away. When the headers start to crack, good luck getting a replacement. When the turbo or wastegate fails, I hope your money you saved already has a new motor sitting in the garage waiting to go in.

It's obvious your ONLY concern is $$$.

I think quote sums it up nicely.

I would rather work a little harder and wait then settle for something that is junk. But be my guest. Can't see it from my garage!

Cheers.

Fair enough.

If polishing turds is your thing then go for it. These are mustang GTs....not Porsche GT3s.

I think its retarded to spend 1/2 of your cars value on one power mod. But hey....... at least the hot parts are quality stainless!!

:lol:

JTS_7

Established Member
We're beating a dead horse here. We are all grown men and can do as we please. To each his own, as long as it puts a smile on your face that's all that matters folks.

Bgoins

Established Member
We're beating a dead horse here. We are all grown men and can do as we please. To each his own, as long as it puts a smile on your face that's all that matters folks.

Hey if everyone started thinking like that there wouldn't be any car forums!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

youre right. all good.

Im just trying to help the next guys save some coins!

Hey if everyone started thinking like that there wouldn't be any car forums!

lol true

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Actually, these turbos are apparently made in Brazil after On3 changed turbo manufacturers a few years ago, so you can't really call them a Chinese turbo can you?

JTS_7

Established Member
Apparently Chad claims they are made at the same factory Magnum turbos are. How true that is, im not sure.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Apparently Chad claims they are made at the same factory Magnum turbos are. How true that is, im not sure.

I read that too. I went to magnums website and did some digging around and found that tbe 60s spec out EXACTLY the same as the magnum unit. Who knows..... :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread