On3 twin kit - Feedback on twin 61's on a stock motor

badmpg03

Established Member
Hey guys,
Looking at this setup and curious how response and lag is on an otherwise stock motor if anyone is running this? Also when you might expect to see full spool on the turbo's. (was hoping around 4500-4700??)

The on3 kit doesn't look to have many specs listed but they are the Chinese gt30's and it would have the dual ball bearing turbos.
At the moment, I am willing to try this kit and give it a shot, so not looking for quality comments or concerns.

Power goal is 700-750 on stock motor at 13-16lbs w/e85. One day plans to go with custom setup and build motor for 1000whp+ but just wanting to get into the turbo game.

Car currently has T56 magnum/gforce axles, full e85 return fuel and some other upgrades.

Thanks for any help,

brady_f

Established Member
I think it will take 16#-18# to make those numbers. There is a 4V car running around with a built motor and their GT35r's making 1000+rwhp. I'm installing the kit now with Precision 6266's and Tial WG's/BOV's. One thing to keep in mind is the WG's and BOV's will run you over a grand to swap which I didn't put enough thought into originally. May be cheaper to pick up a Hellion twin kit if wanting to go that route...?

Dyno graph posted in this video I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badmpg03

Established Member
I think it will take 16#-18# to make those numbers. There is a 4V car running around with a built motor and their GT35r's making 1000+rwhp. I'm installing the kit now with Precision 6266's and Tial WG's/BOV's. One thing to keep in mind is the WG's and BOV's will run you over a grand to swap which I didn't put enough thought into originally. May be cheaper to pick up a Hellion twin kit if wanting to go that route...?

Dyno graph posted in this video I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the video, I saw a few o those on YouTube.
Makes sense
I was trying to get in the turbo game cheap on mild boost and stock motor. Then build motor and go with a custom kit at some point. but seems there is no real way to do it cheap

More the question is if 61's on a stock motor is too much and will be laggy. Would be great to see full boost by 4500 rpm or so, not 5500. I didn't know how these would perform on stock heads/longblock

s351

Established Member
Don't cheap out on the important stuff, you will hate your turbo car. There's plenty of people's cars kicking around because they went cheap and had nothing but issues and sold there car and went back to a blower car because there setup never worked right.

badmpg03

Established Member
Don't cheap out on the important stuff, you will hate your turbo car. There's plenty of people's cars kicking around because they went cheap and had nothing but issues and sold there car and went back to a blower car because there setup never worked right.

I hear you. I researched a bunch about on3 and really haven't seen much bad with them recently. The coyote crowd has run them long enough for the turbos/wastegates to show if they are reliable. My tuner actually said they he saw a lot of successful cars with them as well but mentioned his concerns about using a scavenging oil system.

I am still up in the air though. I really and wanting the THP kit or similar with front mounted turbos. Damn that looks like a sweet kit.

brady_f

Established Member
I hear you. I researched a bunch about on3 and really haven't seen much bad with them recently. The coyote crowd has run them long enough for the turbos/wastegates to show if they are reliable. My tuner actually said they he saw a lot of successful cars with them as well but mentioned his concerns about using a scavenging oil system.

I am still up in the air though. I really and wanting the THP kit or similar with front mounted turbos. Damn that looks like a sweet kit.

If you're in Houston, you are more than welcome to come check out my kit when the install is finished. I did go Precision 62/66's, Tial WG's, Tial BOV's, and upgraded VBands, but you can at least get an idea of how it fits and is routed.

All low mount systems use an oil scavenging pump which isn't a big deal nowadays. I definitely wouldn't run stock WG's on this system though after hearing numerous accounts of boost creep or them failing all-together.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
One of the most critical things to keep your engine alive, aside from a good fuel system is a good wastegate(s) Is the life of your engine not important enough that you would not spend a few extra hundred $$$ to buy the correct parts? Is it worth it to roll the dice that one time when you go WOT and that $100 wastegate gets stuck closed and before its too late you melt some ringlands? You know all it takes one over boost for an "oops" then it is rebuild time right?

The buyer of my turbo Cobra purchased an On3 twin kit. It is complete trash. I do not care what anyone says. Its CHEAP. He bought my roller and $15,000 longblock which I built and installed in the car, he is finishing the rest of the car. I installed a few of the On3 parts, manifolds etc. It is ALL junk.

The flanges on the manifolds were not straight, the V band flanges were not straight. The manifold holes to bolt to the head were not drilled correctly, slightly offset so they did not bolt up to the heads correctly. Their "Billet" oil filter relocation kit is very cheaply built. The coolant hose FACES the manifold. Modifications need to be done to the kit to make it fit correctly. That is just a few components. Then you have the $50 turbos, wastegates and BOVs. There is a reason it is cheap. In the long run, it will cost you more headaches and $$ to make it right and fix broken stuff. Do your self a favor, if you cannot afford it. Wait, save, whatever you have to do to buy quality parts.

Everyone wants to make 1000rwhp. They watch youtube videos and do not know the complete story on most builds. But not everyone understands what it entails to do it CORRECTLY. 1000rwhp is not an easy task. It is even a harder task with cheap parts. I can provide pictures of what I mentioned above to for anyone that is interested in the very poor On3 quality.

BigEag205

Established Member
One of the most critical things to keep your engine alive, aside from a good fuel system is a good wastegate(s) Is the life of your engine not important enough that you would not spend a few extra hundred $$$ to buy the correct parts? Is it worth it to roll the dice that one time when you go WOT and that $100 wastegate gets stuck closed and before its too late you melt some ringlands? You know all it takes one over boost for an "oops" then it is rebuild time right?

The buyer of my turbo Cobra purchased an On3 twin kit. It is complete trash. I do not care what anyone says. Its CHEAP. He bought my roller and $15,000 longblock which I built and installed in the car, he is finishing the rest of the car. I installed a few of the On3 parts, manifolds etc. It is ALL junk.

The flanges on the manifolds were not straight, the V band flanges were not straight. The manifold holes to bolt to the head were not drilled correctly, slightly offset so they did not bolt up to the heads correctly. Their "Billet" oil filter relocation kit is very cheaply built. The coolant hose FACES the manifold. Modifications need to be done to the kit to make it fit correctly. That is just a few components. Then you have the $50 turbos, wastegates and BOVs. There is a reason it is cheap. In the long run, it will cost you more headaches and $$ to make it right and fix broken stuff. Do your self a favor, if you cannot afford it. Wait, save, whatever you have to do to buy quality parts.

Everyone wants to make 1000rwhp. They watch youtube videos and do not know the complete story on most builds. But not everyone understands what it entails to do it CORRECTLY. 1000rwhp is not an easy task. It is even a harder task with cheap parts. I can provide pictures of what I mentioned above to for anyone that is interested in the very poor On3 quality.
I'm interested in seeing the pictures. Was this one of their newer manufactured kits or one of the older ones?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

Have those pics?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I'm interested in seeing the pictures. Was this one of their newer manufactured kits or one of the older ones?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Have those pics?

Sorry guys, I do not go on the forums much anymore. Ask and you shall receive. The kit was a brand new kit purchased last year.

Both Vband flanges on both manifolds not straight....

20170201_181316 (Large).jpg

Manifold to head flanges on both not straight.....

20170201_181355 (Large).jpg

More daylight!!
20170201_181359 (Large).jpg

Ohh yea, no problems. This kit is SOOO GOOD. Ummm NO!. Their own oil cooler delete points RIGHT AT THE MANIFOLD. Great design! lol

20170318_114647 (Large).jpg

On top of that. The manifold to head flanges. The bolt holes did not line up with the cylinder head holes. So they had to be opened up on the flange.

The piping needed to be modified once it was installed on the car.

Turbos failed after 1 dyno session (they made great power, but failed very fast)

The wastegate is a a giant piece of crap as well.

You get what you pay for. Yes I know guys are making 4798856745hp and faster then John Force. But that does not mean the kit is GOOD. If you can deal with garbage parts, poor fitment, poor quality, CHEAP parts but still show a big dyno # so we know your E-Penis is huge. On3 is the kit for you then.

Users who are viewing this thread