on3 kit

stretchb

Established Member
I think your looking for "in other words". Sorry, it's about like loose instead of lose. I feel better now!! lol :beer:

Oh, and while I have a Hellion kit, I don't blame guys for trying to go cheaper, but if money is tight. A malfunctioning wastegate or a turbo exploding can destroy an engine and all of the sudden a good kit sounds cheap. My suggestion is a good used, name brand kit or at least upgrade the turbo and wastegate to quality pieces with the ON3. Will the ON3 perform, yep that's been proven, so i'm not saying otherwise. I'm discussing reliability in this particular discussion, not performance.

if we are discussing turbo reliability u might want to check into the the precision turbos that come with your kit.

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
I'm not mad I spent more $. I saw the ON3 kit before I bought mine. I've seen what cheap turbo kits can do on all different kinds of cars. Knock off gates are a BAD idea. They can malfunction and cause an over boost in seconds.

On3's turbos are junk, but at least they're cheap. So they can be replaced easy and quick. Precision turbos perform better than just about everything out there when comparing power:psi. BUT they're reliability is definitely lacking. Fortunately they have a pretty good warranty system. I have a spare 6262 BB center section with wheels for this exact reason. If I do continue to keep having problems though, I will sell all 3 turbos and re flange the kit for Garret's with Tial V band housings.

mantis118

Established Member
On3 turbos are made by Magnum turbo if I remember correctly. I had a magnum on my cobra. Friend had 2 on his lightning, another has one on his chevy truck. We have had 0 failures. As far as the wastegates go I have disassembled tial and cheapos. They are the same inside.

phil h

Established Member
I will guess he will run 9.58 @ 147. Temp is pretty cool there so hopefully the track will have some heat in it so everyone can put a number down.

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member
I will guess he will run 9.58 @ 147. Temp is pretty cool there so hopefully the track will have some heat in it so everyone can put a number down.

:shrug:, Guessing Strecthb's time right? Seems a little fast since he's back on the stock block. I would guess he is down at least 100rwhp. (From 800 or more to 700.)

CPRsm

On3 turbos are made by Magnum turbo if I remember correctly.
No, although he's tried to insinuate it many times. He tells everyone they're made at the "same plant." But he won't come right and say it because he knows he can't

Any turbo kit going to make power. They are efficient enough they make power on accident. To stand out you really have to split hairs to see a noticable difference. You spend extra money for fit, finish, quality parts and customer service. If you don't mind making changes, a cheaper kit may be for you. If you don't mind rolling the dice on whether a turbo with a 30day warranty wondering will leak on start up, maybe it's for you. Same goes for drivability, trying to find good maf signals, better intercoolers, and repairing/replacing broken parts. So it really just depends on what you want to put up with and if someone is telling the whole truth when they post their story online. Often it varys from the phone calls some people will make to other manufacturers.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
this is true.
I built a turbo kit from junkyards and ebay for my fox years ago. a total of maybe $500 with air to water incooler. ended with 6.90's in the 1/8th. idled like garbage but ran like a beast up top.

Users who are viewing this thread