On3 kit burning oil after boost

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Just wondering if any of you guys with the On3 kit are having this issue. Car runs smooth and pulls hard. I've been doing alot of datalogging and after a 3rd gear WOT pull, I leave a nice size cloud of white smoke as soon as I get out of the throttle. It only lasts a few seconds, but you can definitely see and smell it. I've triple checked my drain lines and they look good. I've spoken with Chad from On3 and he thinks it has something to do with vacuum getting to the crankcase.
I have breathers on my valve covers. I sourced vacuum from the passenger side PCV port on the intake manifold, the other PCV port is capped. I have a vacuum line running from the PCV port to a vacuum manifold that I mounted on the firewall. Then a vacuum line from each wastegate to the vacuum manifold. Would sourcing vacuum from the other PCV port on the manifold help? Any ideas? Thanks

RJ13GT

Established Member
I think its pretty common with boosted cars.. having to modify the pcv with these kits causes some oil control issues.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
I've spoken with another member here, and he's been having the same problem. There has got to be a way to at least calm it down a bit

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Oil is pushing past the seal on the turbo probably. Is the car fully warmed up when you do the pulls? Also what oil do you run? A buddy of mine with a supra said they can only run certain oil because others will push past the turbo seals. By this weekend I should be doing wot pulls with my car and I will report back my findings.

AKDMB

Established Member
Without a connection from the intake manifold to the valve cover, you do not have any vacuum on the crankcase.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Oil is pushing past the seal on the turbo probably. Is the car fully warmed up when you do the pulls? Also what oil do you run? A buddy of mine with a supra said they can only run certain oil because others will push past the turbo seals. By this weekend I should be doing wot pulls with my car and I will report back my findings.

This has to be what is happening. I'm running Amsoil 0w40. It was recommended in the oil analysis thread and that guy seems to have his shit together. This may also be more proof that "you get what you pay for". It's not like we're running BW turbos

Edit: And yes, car is warmed up when doing pulls

Last edited:

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
10w30 Mobil 1 syn and although it's a CPR kit, I just have breathers on my covers and absolutely no smoke whatsoever.

cb900f

Established Member
I'm the other smoker Tuffnuts was referring to. I run 5w-20 and it had it's good days and bad days. Bad days it would be like James Bond smoke, good days it wouldn't smoke at all. Chad was going to send me a scavenger pump to see if it fixed the problem, but the motor went to shit so I'll see how it does with the new one. No PCV here either, only breathers.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I'm the other smoker Tuffnuts was referring to. I run 5w-20 and it had it's good days and bad days. Bad days it would be like James Bond smoke, good days it wouldn't smoke at all. Chad was going to send me a scavenger pump to see if it fixed the problem, but the motor went to shit so I'll see how it does with the new one. No PCV here either, only breathers.

No reason there should be drain issues with this kit. If anything maybe the orfice is too big on the feed adapter for the turbo and too much oil is getting into the turbo. Too much oil pressure could be the issue but then again these are not $2000 turbos.

cb900f

Established Member
No reason there should be drain issues with this kit. If anything maybe the orfice is too big on the feed adapter for the turbo and too much oil is getting into the turbo. Too much oil pressure could be the issue but then again these are not $2000 turbos.

I originally put the drain lines in the rear of the pan like the directions said. This time I'll be putting them in the front of the pain. I'm hoping that fixes it.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Put mine in the front like gimme11s
Me too. Still dumping clouds. Chris is pretty quick with the revisions, so I should have another tune update to datalog tonight. I'll see if I can get the oil swapped out to 10w30 right after work and give that a try. I'd honestly be happy if it just wasn't as bad.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Chris is probably about to kill me lol. Had a vacuum leak so 3 revisions were useless and we had to start over lol. Hope I don't get the stunt plane smoke screen mod too.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Chris is probably about to kill me lol. Had a vacuum leak so 3 revisions were useless and we had to start over lol. Hope I don't get the stunt plane smoke screen mod too.
LOL!! So you're the guy! I've had all kinds of little stupid shit happen too. Whatever, it's my first time taking on a project like this. I'm pretty happy I didn't have to tow the car to a shop and pay somebody to fix my hack job.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
LOL!! So you're the guy! I've had all kinds of little stupid shit happen too. Whatever, it's my first time taking on a project like this. I'm pretty happy I didn't have to tow the car to a shop and pay somebody to fix my hack job.

Oh damn, he talking shit? Lol. Never had a single issue with any car Iv had when it came to tuning until now. Chris is on point but my car is being a little asshole.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Oh damn, he talking shit? Lol. Never had a single issue with any car Iv had when it came to tuning until now. Chris is on point but my car is being a little asshole.
Lol...no, not talking shit. He just got both of us Navy guys mixed up for a second.
I just swappedf to 10w30. Gonna make a pull later and see if that helps

Users who are viewing this thread